[comp.sys.amiga] Questions on a 2000 System

ferg@pnet01.cts.com (John Ferguson) (05/02/89)

Hello,

   I'm going to be getting a 2000 real soon (as soon as I sell my current
set up)..  I will be adding a bridgecard and a hard disk.  (Probably a
GVP/Quantum 80).  What I want to know is, where do I put the hard drive
if I have a 5 1/2 floppy for the bridgeboard and 2 internal 3.5 floppies?
Do I have to mount it externally?

Also, how many Quantum 80s can I put on a GVP Impact 2/0?

One more question for you famed netters...  How many slots does a 2000 have?
I mean could I add all of the following to a 2000?

          - GVP Impact 2/0
          - Bridgeboard
          - 8 UP memory board
          - Accellerator board (not sure of brand, any suggestions?)
          - ASDG's Duel Serial card

Oh!  Just remembered another question :)  (Whew!)
Will I have 3 serial ports if I add ASDG's DSB?

Answer anyway you wish, but I'm sure to see E-mail.

                                              ____
                                              |_
                                              |  erg

US Mail: P.O. Box 2104, La Mesa CA,  92044
Voice: (619) 670-3161  Modem: (619) 670-1095
ARPA: crash!pnet01!ferg@nosc.mil              INET: ferg@pnet01.cts.com

                     -=[  In Stereo Where Available  ]=-

perry@madnix.UUCP (Perry Kivolowitz) (05/04/89)

In article <4144@crash.cts.com> ferg@pnet01.cts.com (John Ferguson) writes:
>   I'm going to be getting a 2000 real soon (as soon as I sell my current
>I mean could I add all of the following to a 2000?
>          - ASDG's Duel Serial card
>
>Oh!  Just remembered another question :)  (Whew!)
>Will I have 3 serial ports if I add ASDG's DSB?

After adding a DSB, you'll have three serial ports. Each will be fully
usable from all programs that currently use Commodore's serial.device.
Each will be fully usable from the CLI (or from DOS).

The DSB occupies a single slot and passes its connectors out the back
of the same slot it sits in. The driver software has been shown to
work much more correctly than the Amiga's serial.device (if you
consider behaving as documented in the RKM as a measure of correctness).

For instance: transmitting an unqueued break in the middle of a currently
executing write will often hang the Amiga's serial.device but works
perfectly well on our device. (This is the sort of thing I meant by
working ``better''). Another example: Start and Stop work as documented
in our device but seem not to work at all in serial.device.

From the programmer's point of view having these features work as documented
means an easier time debugging code. From the user's point of view...this
means fewer *if any* unexpected system locks or gurus due to serial activity.

We put in a LOT of effort on the DSB's software. We think you'll be able to
tell. BTW: Shipping starts next week. And includes a thing we're calling
the Serial DisPatcher which will allow any program (which uses serial.device)
to use any expansion serial port with no modifications.

--
                        Perry Kivolowitz, ASDG Inc.
ARPA: madnix!perry@cs.wisc.edu   {uunet|ncoast}!marque!