[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga-Archive mail server

grwalter@watmath.waterloo.edu (Fred Walter) (05/01/89)

In article <6526@dayton.UUCP> joe@dayton.UUCP (Joseph P. Larson) writes:
>Now, if you *really* wanted to be a Cool Guy, you could build up a
>mail server so the rest of us could get stuff, too.  We just send
>you a letter with a subject that says "mail index" or "mail file"
>or whatever, and your server (which runs once a night or something)
>could send us whatever it is we needed...

One problem with this is that the site that does this could be swamped, not
to mention that someone has to then pay $$$ for you to get your software. FTP
doesn't cost on a per usage basis, so it doesn't cost these people (aside
from the hard disk space/etc) any more.

The above comment aside, there is such a service. It is in the alphatest
stage, and I'm not sure if the guy setting it up wants to announce it yet,
so I'll send him mail asking if it's OK to mention in public.

	fred
k$

tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad "[potentially] Cool" Guy) (05/01/89)

In article <25706@watmath.waterloo.edu>, grwalter@watmath (Fred Walter) writes:
>One problem with this is that the site that does this could be swamped,

Brian Reid has a nice algorithm for handling this in his archive
server -- basically, the more a user requests from the server (within
a certain quantum), the lower the priority of the request (and thus
the longer it takes for the request to come back).  The size of the
requests pending for a user is inversely proportional to the priority
of the requests.  This quickly stifles people (intentionally or
unintentionally) trying to flood an archive server.

Still, lots of people making lots of requests could be a problem
(Brian solved this by allowing the server to queue up lots of
requests, but only to service a certain amount within a day, based on
the priority scheme above).  This nicely smooths out the overhead of
running the server...

	...tad

mclek@dcatla.UUCP (Larry E. Kollar) (05/02/89)

I'd like to see an anonymous UUCP site carry Amiga source/binaries.  I'd prefer
that to a BBS -- less hassle and more efficient file transfers for the long
distance charges.  (Tad, what about doing something like that for xanth?
You've already filled up your hard disks; save someone else the trouble. :-)

Of course, one probably exists already, and I just missed the announcement. :-)
--
Larry Kollar	...!gatech!dcatla!mclek
If potatoes aren't computers, why are there potato chips and potato bugs?

page%rishathra@Sun.COM (Bob Page) (05/03/89)

mclek@sunb.UUCP (Larry E. Kollar) wrote:
>I'd like to see an anonymous UUCP site carry Amiga source/binaries.  I'd prefer

That's a great idea.  Please set it up and let us know how to get at it.

..bob

tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) (05/03/89)

In article <18171@dcatla.UUCP>, mclek@dcatla (Larry E. Kollar) writes:
>I'd like to see an anonymous UUCP site carry Amiga source/binaries.
>Tad, what about doing something like that for xanth?

I've considered it, but there are two main problems (one is solvable):

	1.  UUCP is insecure.  I can get around this with a wrapper
		that would chroot() the incoming uucp to the anonymous
		ftp area, which is relatively safe, and can reject
		bogus commands like rmail with little trouble.
		Unfortunately, this would require a lot of duplication
		of data (such as most of the UUCP lib/spool areas).
		(Meaning less space for archives.)

	2.  Lack of phone lines.  Part of xanth's (many) real purposes
		is to act as a dialup concentrator (legitimate users
		call xanth to get to other department and campus based
		machines).  I'd have a hard time explaining to these
		people that the reason they are getting busy signals
		is because people are downloading our amiga archives.

Also, we have no trailblazers attached to xanth, making the best
anyone could do 2400 bps.  For the forseeable future, I'm not going to
setup xanth for anonymous uucp.

>You've already filled up your hard disks; save someone else the trouble.

Yeah, and if the people who actually own the disk find out... :-)

>Of course, one probably exists already, and I just missed the announcement.

A long time ago a site was going to setup an anonymous uucp area (I know
because they contacted me wanting a copy of our archives on 1/4"
cartridge), but they never sent me a tape, and I haven't heard from
them since...

On the plus side, someone has offered to write an archive-server for
me (which if you've been reading my postings I was doing).  If this
person follows through and makes it as good as I want (I'm very picky
about these things, which is why I'm not already using one of the
commonly available servers), you might see an mail-based archiver
server sooner than I expected.  Regardless, it's just a matter of time.

	...tad

joe@dayton.UUCP (Joseph P. Larson) (05/03/89)

page@sun.UUCP (Bob Page) wrote:
>mclek@sunb.UUCP (Larry E. Kollar) wrote:
>>I'd like to see an anonymous UUCP site carry Amiga source/binaries.
>
>That's a great idea.  Please set it up and let us know how to get at it.

Actually, Tad and I are currently negotiating on this.  He told me that
if I provided a good server, he'd install it on xanth.  We're negotiating
on what constitutes a "good server" (he has specific things in mind, a
big one of which is minimal maintenance on his part -- very understandable).
If Tad and I come to an agreement (which seems very likely, given the fact
that my last message to him promised almost everything he asked for), I'll
start coding something up in the near future.  I don't expect this to take
terribly long, although someone is going to have to test/possibly port it
to BSD (I'm a SysV site and I guess xanth is BSD).  Ditto "sendmail" (I
use "mailx").

If anyone cares to help with this, drop me a line. -Joe
--
Life is a cabaret (old chum).
UUCP: rutgers!dayton!joe   (Picts 1-13 are   DHDSC - Joe Larson/MIS 1060

mclek@dcatla.UUCP (Larry E. Kollar) (05/04/89)

In article <102472@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> page@sun.UUCP (Bob Page) writes:

>mclek@sunb.UUCP (that's me) wrote:
>>I'd like to see an anonymous UUCP site carry Amiga source/binaries.
>
>That's a great idea.  Please set it up and let us know how to get at it.

Sure, Bob.  Buy me a phone line & a hard disk and I'll get right on it. :-)
Seriously though, I'd *love* to do something like that, given the resources.
And it would certainly cause less fuss than a mail-based server will....