[comp.sys.amiga] disk drive problems

hansb@ariel.unm.edu (The Amiga Programmer) (05/02/89)

I have owned the Commodore Amiga 3 1/2 disk drive since 6-86 without
any problems whatsoever.  Recently, I have been getting read-write
errors even on Sonys' disks....

Amiga 1000
512 k mem
amiga live
packard bell 2400 baud modem.

I am also using 1.3 (since 3 months ago) without any startup-sequence
to bypass loss of needed memory.  Is there a possibility that 1.3
might be the culprit, or maybe a new virus?  recently, I turned
off the system, put my original kickstart and workbench in,
and re-installed my cli disk and haven't seen any problems since.
(Of course, I haven't formatted any disks lately, and that is
where the problem usually shows up.)

Hans

***********************    Hans Bechtel
* Amiga is One    /   *
* of The Best    /    *    hansb@ariel.unm.edu
************** \/ *****    (505) 275-2797

new@udel.EDU (Darren New) (05/03/89)

In article <5000@charon.unm.edu> hansb@ariel.unm.edu (The Amiga Programmer) writes:
>I have owned the Commodore Amiga 3 1/2 disk drive since 6-86 without
>any problems whatsoever.  Recently, I have been getting read-write
>errors even on Sonys' disks....

I started getting the same problems at the beginning of last summer.
After several week of really being POed when my sources disk lost
the root directory, I came to the realization that the disks were
failing when the room got too warm.  Since you are in NM (I'm
in DE), I assume you are starting to get quite warm dowm there.
Try turning up the air conditioning.  -- Darren

jal@wsu-cs.uucp (Jason Leigh) (05/03/89)

I have been experiencing similar disk problems for almost a year
now, so I don't think it's the temperature.  What I have noticed
is that most of the errors occur in tracks > 70 when my disk started
getting full.  I suspected drive speed problems but I checked that
and it was in the correct range.  I even opened up my Amiga (500)
and cleaned out the drive and the problems still persisted.  Currently
I still have no clue as to what the problem might be.

Jason Leigh
jal@zeus.cs.wayne.edu

In article <714@wsu-cs.uucp> jal@cs.wayne.edu (Jason Leigh) writes:

>I have been experiencing similar disk problems for almost a year
>now, so I don't think it's the temperature.  What I have noticed
>is that most of the errors occur in tracks > 70 when my disk started
>getting full.  I suspected drive speed problems but I checked that
>and it was in the correct range.  I even opened up my Amiga (500)
>and cleaned out the drive and the problems still persisted.  Currently
>I still have no clue as to what the problem might be.

	Could be a misaligned drive, or it might be an electronic problem
with the drive.  I assume you used a head-cleaning diskette to clean the heads.
Most errors (media or drive-related, as opposed to software) occur on
cylinders 70 or above.  This is because the bits are closer together near the
inside of the disk, and so the ciruitry/hardware is stressed the most there
to work correctly.

	Does this occur with known good disks (brand-name), or with generic
disks?

--
Randell Jesup, Commodore Engineering {uunet|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!jesup

wn0e+@andrew.cmu.edu (William Nichols) (05/04/89)

In message <14503@louie.udel.EDU> , new@udel.EDU (Darren New) writes
Programmer) writes:
>>I have owned the Commodore Amiga 3 1/2 disk drive since 6-86 without
>>any problems whatsoever.  Recently, I have been getting read-write
>>errors even on Sonys' disks....

>I started getting the same problems at the beginning of last summer.
>After several week of really being POed when my sources disk lost
>the root directory, I came to the realization that the disks were
>failing when the room got too warm.  Since you are in NM (I'm
>in DE), I assume you are starting to get quite warm dowm there.
>Try turning up the air conditioning.  -- Darren

I too had some problems when my drive overheated., some random errors,
inability to format, hard errors on good disks, etc.   First suggestion,
MAKE SURE YOU HAVE GOOD AIR CIRCULATION.  I have one of those computer
desks where it is easy to cut off air flow with shelves.  My problems
went away completely when I moved a shelf up 4 inches, and let the
machine cool down. Second suggestion, use a disk drive cleaner every few
weeks or so.  I once could not even kickstart my a1000 untill I cleaned
the drives.

Bill Nichols wn0e@andrew.cmu.edu