[comp.sys.amiga] Using ARP 1.3 with ConMan

wfh58@leah.Albany.Edu (W Hammond) (04/29/89)

       ARP Release 1.3 -- Some Issues Not Fully Covered in the Docs

[This stuff will be obvious to some of you, but I am posting it since it
took ME some time to straighten it out.]

                            ARP SHELL & CONMAN

     The ARP Shell gravitates toward the Commodore-Amiga "newcon:" device
for its console handling.  If you want the additional features furnished by
W. Hawes' ConMan, it is not sufficient to run the "ConMan" program and
mount the "pip:" device (although the latter step does enable the piping
facility in the ARP Shell).

     The quickest approach is to run the "ConMan" program (if it has not
already been run) and then enter the command

ashell WINDOW "con:0/0/640/200/ ARP Shell"

If you just enter "ashell", the shell will come up under the Commodore
"newcon:".  Putting the window definition above on the command line shifts
from "newcon:" to "con:".  The previous running of "conman" converted
"con:" from its native state to ConMan.  You can also alias "ashell" to
stand for the command above, but that alias will only be recognized in
a shell where it has been declared.

     Another approach, is to override "newcon:" via the mountlist.  That
is, change the file "devs:mountlist" so that the entry for "newcon:" is a
a standard ConMan entry as documented in the ConMan 1.3 release:

NEWCON: Handler        = L:ConHandler
        StackSize      = 600
        Priority       = 5
        GlobVec        = 0
#

It is necessary for "newcon:" then to be mounted subsequent to this change
of the mountlist.  If "newcon:" was already mounted when the mountlist was
edited, then it will be necessary to re-boot since a device name can only
be mounted once.

     A third approach is to take the ARP file "AShell" and hack the window
definition string found at offset 878 (36E hex). The native value of this
string is:

                        "NEWCON:0/0/640/100/AShell"

The string is exactly 25 characters long (quotes not included).  Change
it (using a "binary" file editor or using a smart text editor) to

                        "CNC:0/0/640/200/ARP Shell"

and then mount "cnc:" after entering "cnc:" in your mountlist as follows:

CNC:  Handler        = L:ConHandler
      StackSize      = 600
      Priority       = 5
      GlobVec        = 0
#

This does not require re-booting unless "cnc:" had previously been
mounted under a different mountlist description.  Of course, the substitute
window definition string MUST be exactly 25 characters long and must occupy
exactly the same location in the "AShell" file.

              WHAT ABOUT "ASHELL", "NEWCLI", AND "NEWSHELL"?

     The files "ashell", "newcli", and "newshell" in the ARP 1.3 release
are identical byte-for-byte.  That does not mean that you want to throw
two of them away.  This program apparently checks the name under which
it has been called (the file name, not an alias) and, apparently, if the
name is "newcli", it will launch a standard CLI under the "newcon:" console
handler if it is mounted.  Thus, if "newcon:" is really ConMan, "newcli"
will launch a ConMan CLI.  You can get an absolutely standard CLI if
the "ConMan" program has not been run by entering:

newcli WINDOW "con:0/0/640/200/ Standard CLI "

or by hacking the window definition string in the file "newcli".

                            25 ROWS, 80 COLUMNS

     ConMan enables one to run shells or CLI's in ConMan windows that have
a full 25 rows of 80 column text.  Standard ConMan and Commodore-Amiga
"con:" windows of dimension 640-by-200 (non-interlaced) furnish 23 rows of
77 column text.  Going to 25 rows and 80 columns means giving up window
borders and gadgets.  (If you are running WShell, you need to ensure that
the file "env:titlebar" is not present when the 25 row, 80 column WShell
is launched.)

     To start an ARP Shell 25 row window with 80 columns you need to do
two things:

     1.  Enter the command (It's a long line.  Consider putting it in a
file by itself and executing the file.):

      ashell WINDOW "cnc:0/0/640/200/ Borderless ARP Shell /dmns/32/"

This assumes that you have mounted "cnc:" as described above.  Your window
will appear with a gadget-less titlebar across the top but otherwise
without borders.

     2.  Type the following small ASCII string in your borderless shell
window:

            <Esc>[25t<Esc>[80u<Esc>[0x<Esc>[0y<Ctrl-L>

Note: When you see "<Esc>" in the line above, hit the "escape" key.  Where
you see <Ctrl-L>, you should hold the "control" key while hitting the "L"
key (which may or may not be shifted).

     Of course, it is best to put this string in a file, and then "type"
the file.  Unfortunately, I have never been able to figure out how to do
this using Commodore-Amiga's default screen editor "Ed".  But with the
screen editor Micro-EMACS (on the "Extras:" disk) I can handle it by
"quoting" (menu option) the "escape" and "control" key entries.

                                  -- Bill Hammond
                                     Dept. of Mathematics & Statistics
518-442-4625                         SUNYA
wfh58@leah.albany.edu                Albany, NY 12222

janhen@wn2.sci.kun.nl (Jan Hendrikx) (05/03/89)

In article <1805@leah.Albany.Edu>, wfh58@leah.Albany.Edu (W Hammond) writes:
|        ARP Release 1.3 -- Some Issues Not Fully Covered in the Docs
| [This stuff will be obvious to some of you, but I am posting it since it
| took ME some time to straighten it out.]
|
|                             ARP SHELL & CONMAN
|
|      The ARP Shell gravitates toward the Commodore-Amiga "newcon:" device
| for its console handling.
|      The quickest approach is to run the "ConMan" program (if it has not
| already been run) and then enter the command
|
| ashell WINDOW "con:0/0/640/200/ ARP Shell"
[more methods using fake NEWCON:s, CNC:s, aliases, etc omitted]

The really most simple thing to do is

1. Forget NEWCON:. Don't mount it; even delete it from your Mountlist.
2. Run ConMan.
3. Run Ashell. It apparently defaults to CON: if NEWCON: is not
   mounted.

This works for me.

Actually, I _do_ supply a full CON: name for Ashell, but only to get
a full screen sized window. You know, PAL + MoreRows make a 640x200
window look really silly. But I use NewShell with no parameters
and no trouble.

|                                   -- Bill Hammond

-Olaf Seibert (using Jan's account)

gay%elde.epfl.ch@cunyvm.cuny.edu (David Gay) (05/03/89)

In article <1805@leah.albany.edu>, wfh58@leah.albany.edu (W Hammond) writes:
>                            ARP SHELL & CONMAN
>
>     The ARP Shell gravitates toward the Commodore-Amiga "newcon:" device
>for its console handling.  If you want the additional features furnished by
>W. Hawes' ConMan, it is not sufficient to run the "ConMan" program and
>mount the "pip:" device (although the latter step does enable the piping
>facility in the ARP Shell).
>
>     The quickest approach is to run the "ConMan" program (if it has not
>already been run) and then enter the command
>
>ashell WINDOW "con:0/0/640/200/ ARP Shell"
>
>If you just enter "ashell", the shell will come up under the Commodore
>"newcon:".  Putting the window definition above on the command line shifts
>from "newcon:" to "con:".  The previous running of "conman" converted
>"con:" from its native state to ConMan.  You can also alias "ashell" to
>stand for the command above, but that alias will only be recognized in
>a shell where it has been declared.

Actually, AShell will use CON: if NEWCON: isn't mounted. Thus, the simplest
method is simply not to mount NEWCON:.

>                                  -- Bill Hammond
>                                     Dept. of Mathematics & Statistics
>518-442-4625                         SUNYA
>wfh58@leah.albany.edu                Albany, NY 12222

David Gay                                  6 x 9 = 42

GAY@ELDE.EPFL.CH, or GAY%ELDE.EPFL.CH@CLSEPF51.bitnet

ins_adjb@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Daniel Jay Barrett) (05/05/89)

In article <440@wn2.sci.kun.nl> janhen@wn2.sci.kun.nl (Jan Hendrikx) writes:
>The really most simple thing to do is
>
>1. Forget NEWCON:. Don't mount it; even delete it from your Mountlist.
>2. Run ConMan.
>3. Run Ashell. It apparently defaults to CON: if NEWCON: is not
>   mounted.

	I've seen several people report that this works for them.  It
didn't work for me.  In fact, AShell consistently crashed my machine
every few minutes when I did not have any NEWCON: mounted.
	Once I mounted NEWCON: (using L:conHandler), all the crashes
stopped.
--
# Dan Barrett	barrett@cs.jhu.edu	(128.220.13.4)	ARPANET             #
#		ins_adjb@jhuvms.bitnet			BITNET              #