[comp.sys.amiga] Omti Controller

lindwall@sdsu.UUCP (John Lindwall) (04/25/89)

	I'm collecting information and sources of Hard Drive products.
Specifically at this time I'm looking for a place that sells the Omti
SCSI 3257 Adaptor.  I'm up to page 191 of the Computer Shopper and after
calling all hard-drive vendors there I've yet to find one that sells the
Omti (or even the Adaptec) adaptor. I've also called all the Amiga specific
vendors in Amiga Weird.

	Anyone have any info on these adaptors?  Which one is better? An
article in Amazing Computing says the Omti allows 1-1 interleave while the
Adaptec can only handle 3-1.  Is this true?

	Should a get a SCSI drive instead?  I'm putting these components
together myself to save money (I have an A1000) .  Any advice welcome.

Thanks!

[PS TO MIKE MOHAR - I hope your setup is working out - I'll call you soon]

	The above opinions are mine, not my employer's nor my school's

John Lindwall					johnl@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM

In <3759@sdsu.UUCP>, lindwall@sdsu.UUCP (John Lindwall) writes:
>	I'm collecting information and sources of Hard Drive products.
>Specifically at this time I'm looking for a place that sells the Omti
>SCSI 3257 Adaptor.  I'm up to page 191 of the Computer Shopper and after
>calling all hard-drive vendors there I've yet to find one that sells the
>Omti (or even the Adaptec) adaptor. I've also called all the Amiga specific
>vendors in Amiga Weird.

Time-Line in LA (they advertise in CompShopper), was selling the Adaptec 4000
for $60 last I looked. Computer Surplus Store in Milpitas (also adevrtised in
CompShopper) carries a number of controllers (as well as surplus drives at very
good prices). Call for availability of controllers.

>	Anyone have any info on these adaptors?  Which one is better? An
>article in Amazing Computing says the Omti allows 1-1 interleave while the
>Adaptec can only handle 3-1.  Is this true?

I have heard it said that the OMTI is considerably faster than the Adaptec. If
the statement about interleave in the Amazing Computing article was true, it's
a beacon of light in a morass of falsehoods, and probably should be bronzed.

>	Should a get a SCSI drive instead?  I'm putting these components
>together myself to save money (I have an A1000) .  Any advice welcome.

SCSI drives are a little easier to mess with, take up less space, and don't
cost a whole lot more, if any more at all, than a drive and controller
combination. Just make sure the drive will operate with your host adapter (the
manufacturer can tel you this).

>Thanks!

No problem.

-larry

--
Frisbeetarianism: The belief that when you die, your soul goes up on
                  the roof and gets stuck.

jhood@biar.UUCP (John Hood) (05/05/89)

In article <2385@van-bc.UUCP> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:
>In <3759@sdsu.UUCP>, lindwall@sdsu.UUCP (John Lindwall) writes:
>>	Anyone have any info on these adaptors?  Which one is better? An
>>article in Amazing Computing says the Omti allows 1-1 interleave while the
>>Adaptec can only handle 3-1.  Is this true?
>
>I have heard it said that the OMTI is considerably faster than the Adaptec. If
>the statement about interleave in the Amazing Computing article was true, it's
>a beacon of light in a morass of falsehoods, and probably should be bronzed.

According to Adaptec's manual, it depends.  With the Adaptec 4000A,
you can format tracks to either 17 or 18 512-byte sectors (among other
possibilities).  If you format for 17 sectors, you get 1:1 interleave.
If you format for 18, you get 2:1.  These are under optimal
conditions; the Amiga probably fits into this category (I don't have
one, I'm just wandering through).

I wouldn't be surprised to find that the OMTI controller is faster--
the Adaptec was the first real SCSI controller, and one of the very
first controllers for ST-506 drives able to do 1:1 interleave.  It's
only just barely able to do it.

  --jh--
John Hood, Biar Games snail: 10 Spruce Lane, Ithaca NY 14850 BBS: 607 257 3423
domain: jhood@biar.uucp (we hope) bang: anywhere!uunet!biar!jhood
[food for disclaimer readers]
[special dessert tidbit for broken mailers]