[comp.sys.amiga] VCR Backup?

QP06%PACE.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (QP06000) (04/24/89)

Good Evening,

    This is my first append but, I promise they will get better. Now
for the fun part.

Is ReadySoft making the VCR Backup system, or is it someone else?
 I know that an IBM version exists that allows you to backup 270 MB
 on one standard 8 hr. video cassette. This is of major importance
 to me because I now have over 130 MB of Hard Disk storage on my
 Amiga 2000. 126 floppies is alot of fun :}

Does anyone know of a low cost tape drive that will work with the
 Amiga 2000 or with a 2090 ? If so , who , what, when , and how much?

Last Question, Can the Amiga support multiple monitors like the PC?
 By this I mean two seperate displays showing different things ie.
 1- text/ 1 graphics or 2 graphics????
 I know this works because at work I use a PS/2 80 with two monitors
 one displaying DOS and my application running and the other display
 shows a GDDM terminal emulator. Both are running ie. Multi-tasking
 under DOS 3.3. Now I know the Amiga is a fantastic machine but
 shouldn't we have the ability to display two views of the same 3-D
 object on two seperate monitors?????? Hmm????

Scott C. Kennedy
Pace University/ IBM T.J. Watson Research Facility
QP060000@PACE / SCK@YKTVMT

tomb@hplsla.HP.COM (Tom Bruhns) (05/05/89)

>bhenning@bhami.vnet.van-bc.UUCP (Bill Henning) writes:/  6:47 pm  May  3, 1989 /
>In <13849@louie.udel.EDU> of comp.sys.amiga Scott C. Kennedy writes:
>
>> Is ReadySoft making the VCR Backup system, or is it someone else?
>> I know that an IBM version exists that allows you to backup 270 MB
>> on one standard 8 hr. video cassette. This is of major importance
>> to me because I now have over 130 MB of Hard Disk storage on my
>> Amiga 2000. 126 floppies is alot of fun :}

> (lines deleted ...)

>   The expected throughput is 18Mb/hr, meaning that a ten megabyte
                               ^^^^^^^
What the heck is the deal here??  Video is _FAR_ greater bandwidth
than this; also, folk use video tape to record digitized audio, with
error correction, at rates of _AT_LEAST_ 200kBytes per second, or
about 25 megabytes per minute.  The hard disk should be capable of
similar transfer rates.  Even if I give you 2:1 for encoding and
another 2:1 for talking to the disk and tape sequentially instead
of overlapped, it still comes out over 5 megs per minute.  Particularly
if all you are doing is an image of the disk, I have to say the
performance is extremely disappointing to me.  I suspect others may
feel similarly.

I commend the concept, but I think you gotta do better on performance.

>partition can be backed up in aprox. thirty-three minutes. I've
>attempted to keep this message to a straightforward reply to a
>question (although it is a relief not to keep it "secret" anymore).
>As I understand it RSI will be selling it for $200US ($250Cdn).
>
> (more lines deleted)
>
>--
># Amiga // #   UUCP: {alberta!ubc-vision,ubc-cs,uunet}!van-bc!bhami!bhenning #
># 1000 //  #   -or-  bhenning@bhami.wimsey.bc.ca /* untested at this time */ #
>#     //   #   -or-  bhenning@bhami.van-bc.UUCP  /* I prefer UUCP mail    */ #
># \\ //    # BITNET: USERCCPM@SFU.BITNET /* I rarely check for other mail */ #
>#  \X/bhami#   ARPA: William_Henning%sfu@um.cc.umich.edu                     #

Tom --I-hope-you-confused-hours-and-minutes-- Bruhns
tomb%hplsla@hplabs.hp.com