[comp.sys.amiga] MandFXP?

nschultz@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Ned W. Schultz) (04/28/89)

A year (or longer?) ago a group called CygnusSoft released a demo version
of MandFXP, a mandelbrot generator.  I believe they were in Vancouver.
Does anyone know if the release version made it out?  If so, could you let
me know the details on how to obtain a copy?

I'd also appreciate hearing from anyone who knows of mandelbrot programs
along the lines of MandFXP.  Basically I want to generate graphics...so
I'd be more interested in programs with stronger graphics features.

Thanks for any pointers....

Ned Schultz                nschultz@polyslo.calpoly.edu

rokicki@polya.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) (04/28/89)

Nothing is as nice as MandelVroom.  Nothing.  An earlier version is on
one of the Fish disks, another one is being prepared for release.
(Right, Kevin?)  I've spent a lot of time playing with it, and use it
to find coordinates of `interesting' areas which I can use to display
on my X workstation at school (where nothing even *approaching*
Mandelvroom can be found.)

-tom

jgary@ms.uky.edu (James E. Gary) (04/29/89)

In article <8818@polya.Stanford.EDU> rokicki@polya.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) writes:
>Nothing is as nice as MandelVroom.  Nothing.  An earlier version is on
<stuff deleted>

Does MandelVroom use the recursive perimeter algorithm that RMand (a
relatively recent PD prog) uses? RMand is quite quick, but doesn't have
all the bells and whistles that I would like to see. Briefly, rmand
calculate the colors for the pixels forming the perimeter (the entire
perimeter) of the screen and if the same, does a flood fill. This tends
to flood the 'black' areas (those actually in the set) quickly, where
most other algorithms spend most of their time. Anyone working on a
full featured Mandelbrot program should consider this algorithm. I haven't
implemented it, but understand it pretty well and will be happy to
correspond via e-mail with interested parties.

kevin@uts.amdahl.com (Kevin Clague) (05/02/89)

In article <11608@s.ms.uky.edu> jgary@ms.uky.edu (James E. Gary) writes:
>In article <8818@polya.Stanford.EDU> rokicki@polya.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) writes:
>>Nothing is as nice as MandelVroom.  Nothing.  An earlier version is on
><stuff deleted>

Thanks Tom.  (I payed him to say that ;-)

>Does MandelVroom use the recursive perimeter algorithm that RMand (a
>relatively recent PD prog) uses? RMand is quite quick, but doesn't have
>all the bells and whistles that I would like to see. Briefly, rmand
>calculate the colors for the pixels forming the perimeter (the entire
>perimeter) of the screen and if the same, does a flood fill. This tends
>to flood the 'black' areas (those actually in the set) quickly, where
>most other algorithms spend most of their time. Anyone working on a
>full featured Mandelbrot program should consider this algorithm. I haven't
>implemented it, but understand it pretty well and will be happy to
>correspond via e-mail with interested parties.

MandelVroom does not use the recursive perimiter algorithm for a number
of reasons:
  1.  It is not as precise as the brute force method...  If the
      computer were indeed calculating a continuous perimiter (i.e. an
      infinite number of points along the perimiter) then it would
      be a good idea.  I indeed implemented it once long ago (non-
      recursively) and chose not to keep it.

  2.  This algorithm works nice for pictures with large amounts of
      the Mandelbrot set in it, but slows down the the non-Mandelbrot
      stuff.  I find large sections of black boring, so the algorithm
      would only get in the way for most of the really pretty pictures.

  3.  MandelVroom is a "full figured" Mandelbort/Julia picture generator
      already.  Some of it's features:
     -Uses configurable custom screen (HAM is only mode not supported)
     -Project oriented.  Multiple pictures on the screen at once.
     -Multitasking.  Can have as many projects open and generating
      (simultaneously) as you want.
     -Save/Load projects (can save partially generated picture, reload
      it and resume)
     -Borderless projects.
     -Zoom in/out as well as pan around.
     -Powerful picture coloration tools that allow you to recolor
      pictures while they are generating.
     -Online help for every gadget and menu item.
     -Orbits... Tom asked for these...
     -Five Math modes:
      -68000 fixed point, 68020 fixed point, FFP, IEEE, 68881 assembly.

     With five math modes for Mandelbrot and Julia generators, that
     makes 10 generator routines.  If we add another dimension for
     perimeter chasing that makes 20.  Ten with perimeter chasing.
     Ten without.

I've been very busy lately preparing to move into my first house,
so MandelVroom release has been slow in coming.  The release date
has been a month away for three or four months now, I hope it
really does happen soon.

MandelVroom will be released with source, so you can add it if you
want.  Good luck with some of the code.  Most of it is REALLY icky.

I've also been very distracted by Fract3D (a new 3D fractal generator
I've been working on.)  It produces HAM pictures that are really nice.

Kevin
--
UUCP:  kevin@uts.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,seismo,oliveb}!amdahl!kevin

[  Any thoughts or opinions which may or may not have been expressed  ]
[  herein are my own.  They are not necessarily those of my employer. ]

In <10845@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU>, nschultz@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Ned W. Schultz) writes:
>A year (or longer?) ago a group called CygnusSoft released a demo version
>of MandFXP, a mandelbrot generator.  I believe they were in Vancouver.
>Does anyone know if the release version made it out?  If so, could you let
>me know the details on how to obtain a copy?

They did send out release versions to those who sent in a ahareware fee
(including one to Arthur C. Clarke). They have also, very recently, released
the entire package (source included), as freely distributable. I don't know
when it will make it to Usenet though. The whole package is just over 500K
after zooing.

-larry

--
  - Don't tell me what kind of a day to have! -
|   //   Larry Phillips                                                |

eric@cbmvax.UUCP (Eric Cotton) (05/05/89)

In article <8818@polya.Stanford.EDU> rokicki@polya.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) writes:
>Nothing is as nice as MandelVroom.  Nothing.  An earlier version is on
>one of the Fish disks, another one is being prepared for release.
>(Right, Kevin?)  I've spent a lot of time playing with it, and use it
>to find coordinates of `interesting' areas which I can use to display
>on my X workstation at school (where nothing even *approaching*
>Mandelvroom can be found.)

I'ld like to second this endorsement for MandelVroom.  I've had the privilege
of being a tester of this program and I gotta tell ya - it's slick.  Besides
all the neat features (like '881 and '020 support) it also has one of the best
user interfaces around.  I can't wait till it's done (are you listening
Kevin?).
--
Eric Cotton
Commodore-Amiga                                               (215) 431-9100