[comp.sys.amiga] Upgrade showanim for FFS compatibility

mplevine@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Marshall Polimer Levine) (05/04/89)

I recently upgraded an amiga 2000 with a GVP 40Q hardcard to use the fast file
system on one partition.  Now, showanim does not work properly; garbage appears
all over the animations.  This even happens when I run the animations on a
partition with the normal file system.  It seems that if FFS is even in memory,
showamin freaks out.  Can someone tell me where and how I can get a new
version that will work with the fast file system?

-- Marshall Levine
mplevine@phoenix.princeton.edu

KRSEAR01@ULKYVX.BITNET (Kendall 'Opusii' Sears) (05/05/89)

> I recently upgraded an amiga 2000 with a GVP 40Q hardcard to use the fast file
> system on one partition.  Now, showanim does not work properly; garbage appear
> all over the animations.  This even happens when I run the animations on a
> partition with the normal file system.  It seems that if FFS is even in memory
,
> showamin freaks out.  Can someone tell me where and how I can get a new
> version that will work with the fast file system?
>
> -- Marshall Levine
> mplevine@phoenix.princeton.edu
I don't think its FFS messing it up.  I have a friend who has the GVP
2000/0 with a quantum 40q and GVP informed him/us that for each partition
on your drive the controller allocates 80K of ram.  That is probably your
problem.  It caused us a lot of grief at one time.  We ended up reformatting
the drive with only one partition to get most 1M required demos to work.

Hope this helps
Opusii

   Kendall "Opusii" Sears
   KRSEAR01@ULKYVX.bitnet
   ...!psuvax!ulkyvx.bitnet!KRSEAR01  (UUCP)
   K.SEARS                            (GEnie)
"VIC's LIVE... Really. I just used one..."

baer@percival.UUCP (Ken Baer) (05/05/89)

In article <8121@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> mplevine@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Marshall Polimer Levine) writes:
>showanim does not work properly; garbage appears
>all over the animations.  This even happens when I run the animations on a
>partition with the normal file system.  It seems that if FFS is even in memory,
>showamin freaks out.  Can someone tell me where and how I can get a new
>version that will work with the fast file system?

You can use a program called Display from Hash Enterprises to show ANIM
files.  It's Public Domain, and is available on PeopleLink, and most
reputable local BBSs.  You might also try the Play program that comes
with Delexe Paint III.  BTW, Display and Play allow you to run from an
icon and exit properly.
   I've been hearing about problems with reading and writing ANIMs across
FFS partitions.  I'm going to be looking into this more.  If anyone knows
what causes this, and how to fix it, I'd really like to know.

Hope this helps.

--
	-Ken Baer.
   //   Hash Enterprises: Choosy Toons Choose Hash.