[comp.sys.amiga] Monochrome monitor

mdl@grad7.cs.duke.edu (Michael D. Landis) (03/23/89)

Is anybody out there using a monochrome monitor on their 1000 to overcome
the flickering interlace problem?  I have a need for the larger resolution,
and I can sacrifice the color.  What monitors are good for this?  How to
connect? What fonts are good for 640x400 monochrome, etc?

   Please respond via email.  Thanks!
-mike

Mike Landis, Dept. of Computer Science, Duke Univ., Durham, NC 27706
ARPA: mdl@cs.duke.edu     CSNET: mdl@duke      UUCP: decvax!duke!mdl

elg@killer.Dallas.TX.US (Eric Green) (03/24/89)

in article <13931@duke.cs.duke.edu>, mdl@grad7.cs.duke.edu (Michael D. Landis) says:
> Is anybody out there using a monochrome monitor on their 1000 to overcome
> the flickering interlace problem?  I have a need for the larger resolution,
> and I can sacrifice the color.  What monitors are good for this?  How to
> connect? What fonts are good for 640x400 monochrome, etc?

I'm using a Magnavox Computer Monitor 80 (the composite one, not the
IBM TTL one), heavily overscanned (704x480, or something like that).
It works great with an Amiga 500 or Amiga 2000. However, a monochrome
monitor has problems with the Amiga 1000. Color signals introduce
cross-hatching, due to the chrominance signal impressed upon the luma.

If you run a grey-scaled workbench and set up all your software to run
grey-scaled you can get around this, but some software doesn't allow
changing the pallete on their private screen. Also, it gets hard to
find the cursor in greyscale on a 704x480 screen when you have an
editor window filling most of it. An orange cursor at least gives you
something outstanding to search for. But you'll probably run with
white text on a black background, with the cursor greyish, and there's
a heckuva lot of text to look through to find it (83 chars x 52 lines
or so).

--
|    // Eric Lee Green              P.O. Box 92191, Lafayette, LA 70509     |
|   //  ..!{ames,decwrl,mit-eddie,osu-cis}!killer!elg     (318)989-9849     |

rminnich@super.ORG (Ronald G Minnich) (03/26/89)

In article <7626@killer.Dallas.TX.US> elg@killer.Dallas.TX.US (Eric Green) writes:
>I'm using a Magnavox Computer Monitor 80 (the composite one, not the
>IBM TTL one), heavily overscanned (704x480, or something like that).
>It works great with an Amiga 500 or Amiga 2000. ...
>If you run a grey-scaled workbench and set up all your software to run
>grey-scaled you can get around this, but some software doesn't allow
Hmm, does this mean we can have, in addition to plain ol' color amigas,
amigas with 2-bit (or more) grey-scale screens, lotsa resolution, and
maybe build some anti-aliased fonts? That would be kind of fun?
I remember Richard@gryphon mentioning A-A fonts, and Tom Rokicki
even built some, I think. Whaddya think? Can we have a mono-amiga
with pretty anti-aliased fonts? Sort of a cheap NeXT look?
ron

ali@polya.Stanford.EDU (Ali T. Ozer) (03/27/89)

In article <7504@super.ORG> rminnich@metropolis.UUCP (Ronald G Minnich) writes:
>... amigas with 2-bit (or more) grey-scale screens, lotsa resolution, and
>maybe build some anti-aliased fonts? That would be kind of fun?
>I remember Richard@gryphon mentioning A-A fonts, and Tom Rokicki
>even built some, I think. Whaddya think? Can we have a mono-amiga
>with pretty anti-aliased fonts? Sort of a cheap NeXT look?

NeXT doesn't have anti-aliased fonts; just the other features you
mentioned (2-bit gray scale and high (92dpi) resolution).

Ali

dinsdale%liaison@Sun.COM (Tom van Peer) (03/28/89)

In article <7504@super.ORG> rminnich@metropolis.UUCP (Ronald G Minnich) writes:
>In article <7626@killer.Dallas.TX.US> elg@killer.Dallas.TX.US (Eric Green) writes:
>with pretty anti-aliased fonts? Sort of a cheap NeXT look?
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Contradictio in terminis ?  I haven't seen much usable examples of
anti-aliased fonts yet.  And I certainly wouldn't impose that on an Amiga with
a 2024 greyscale monitor.  For anti-aliasing you need at least 100 dpi if you
don't want to see any individual pixels and maybe 16 greylevels.  Any idea how
your blitter will think about that ?

Tom van Peer.

tom@pcg.philips.nl or
dinsdale@liaison.sun.com (whichever is closer to you)

rminnich@super.ORG (Ronald G Minnich) (03/29/89)

In article <96111@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> dinsdale@sun.UUCP (Tom van Peer) writes:
>In article <7504@super.ORG> rminnich@metropolis.UUCP (Ronald G Minnich) writes:
>>In article <7626@killer.Dallas.TX.US> elg@killer.Dallas.TX.US (Eric Green) writes:
>>with pretty anti-aliased fonts? Sort of a cheap NeXT look?
>      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>Contradictio in terminis ?  I haven't seen much usable examples of
>anti-aliased fonts yet.  And I certainly wouldn't impose that on an Amiga with
oh, well, i guess i blew this one. I still want to try the
mono with MoreRows. It sure ought to make AmigaTex look pretty nice ...
I wonder where all the original info about NeXTs use of anti-aliased
fonts came from? I haven't seen it, i was going by what I have heard
on comp.sys.next ...
   Shoot.
ron

mdl@grad7.cs.duke.edu (Michael D. Landis) (04/17/89)

I recently purchased a Kraft 14-inch monochrome monitor for my
Amiga, but I can't seem to get it to work correctly.  The monitor
has a db-9 connector that looks like this:
            CGA                    TTL
        1 - ground               ground
        2 - ground               ground
        3 - digital red          reserved
        4 - digital green        reserved
        5 - digital blue         reserved
        6 - digital intensity    intensity
        7 - reserved             video
        8 - horiz. sync.         horiz. sync.
        9 - vertical sync.       vertical sync.

It is obviously a dual-mode monitor.  I made a cable that
(supposedly) connects the Amiga 1000 up to a CGA-compatible
(RGBI) monitor, but no-go.  The machine boots, but the screen
never even shows hints of light.  I know the monitor works
on a monochrome PC, so that's not the problem.  And it looks
incredible since it's built for interlace, so I'd really
like to get it to work with the Amiga.

Does anybody know any reasons why it might not be working
for me?  I would really appretiate any help that anyone could
give.  Thanks alot.    -Mike
Mike Landis, Dept. of Computer Science, Duke Univ., Durham, NC 27706
ARPA: mdl@cs.duke.edu     CSNET: mdl@duke      UUCP: decvax!duke!mdl

martens@canoe.cis.ohio-state.edu (Jeff Martens) (05/08/89)

In article <8034@killer.Dallas.TX.US> elg@killer.Dallas.TX.US (Eric
Green) writes:
:in article <10609@megaron.arizona.edu>, cjeffery@arizona.edu (Clinton Jeffery) says:

	[ request for low cost monitor info deleted ]

:Magnavox Computer Monitor 80. Medium-persistence phosphor monochrome
:green-screen. Looks great in interlace -- nearly no flicker at all.
:Overscans well -- I'm doing 704x440. Can't stand going back to a 1084,
:at least for text work (now, for graphics it's useless). Bought it for
:$50 from Sears. However, last time I looked, Sears was selling it for
:around $100.

This sounds great to me.  I've always wondered why the Amiga didn't
come with monochrome standard and crappy (from a text POV) color as an
option.  Can you just plug it in, or do you need to do some interface
work?
-=-
-- Jeff (martens@cis.ohio-state.edu)

Heilbronner and Thurow:  "There are no predictive laws in economics."
               Martens:  "No wonder I can't live within a budget!"