[comp.sys.amiga] Prospective beta tester?

Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com (05/05/89)

Hi, I have a question concerning beta testing...

 I have been asked to be a beta test site for a new Amiga software package. The
software package in question is something that I have alot of experience with,
so they felt that I would be a good candidate. The software will retail for
over $300, $350 comes to mind. My problem is that they want each beta test site
to pay $100 for the beta copy, and sign a non-disclosure agreement. Now the
non-disclosure agreement I have no problems with, but the $100 part sounds
kinda funny. It goes on to mention that when the software is released, that...
"you will have the option of buying a complete package for the price of $75.00
for a total cost of $175.00 to the beta tester." Now I have never done beta
testing before, but this does sound kinda fishy. I mean, why should I pay to
help them work out bugs? Does this sound right? Marco? Leo??

          - Doug -

 Doug_B_Erdely@Cup.Portal.Com

utoddl@ecsvax.UUCP (Todd M. Lewis) (05/06/89)

They want You to pay Them to find their bugs!?  No.  If this
company was like some others I could think of, you'ld pay
them $100 and they would call you a "customer".  When the
next version comes out, you get to upgrade to what should
have been version 1.0 for only $75.  I don't see the difference.

How many "beta testers" are they hoping for, 100,000? :->
  _____
    |      Todd M. Lewis            Disclaimer: If you want my employer's
    ||\/|  utoddl@ecsvax.uncecs.edu             ideas, you'll have to
    ||  ||                                      _buy_ them.
     |  ||
         |___   (Never write a program bigger than your screen.)

srp@modcomp.UUCP (Steve Pietrowicz) (05/06/89)

in article <17961@cup.portal.com>, Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com says:
] Hi, I have a question concerning beta testing...

[Stuff deleted]

] My problem is that they want each beta test site to pay $100 for the beta
] copy, and sign a non-disclosure agreement.

[Stuff deleted]

] It goes on to mention that when the software is released, that...
] "you will have the option of buying a complete package for the price of $75.00
] for a total cost of $175.00 to the beta tester." Now I have never done beta
] testing before, but this does sound kinda fishy. I mean, why should I pay to
] help them work out bugs? Does this sound right? Marco? Leo??
]           - Doug -

I've beta tested products before. The only requirements put on me were to test
the software for a certain amount of time, and that I should report all bugs
I find.  At the end of that time, I'd receive a copy of the package.  Now, in
reality, I've tested far longer than the required amount of time stated in the
contract, and I've offered suggestions for the products.  Remember that the
company is under no obligation to change the product to your specs, so don't
be frustrated if they don't take your suggestions.  (They should fix all bugs
though....be sure you can reproduce the bug and be able to explain what you
were doing when it happened).

It sounds like the company is trying to protect itself, and wants to weed
out the "beta collectors".  (People who ask to beta test, and don't do any
testing at all).  Sending out beta software to people is a very tricky thing.
Unless the company has worked with it's testers before, they aren't sure what
they're getting.  A company I've worked with was very disappointed in some of
the other beta testers they had.  The "testers" gave little or no feedback on
the product.  (And, even worse, these testers reported bugs that were fixed
several revisions earlier.  They weren't even keeping track of which version
they were testing!).  The company has since dropped them from their beta
testing lists.

I'm not sure what I would do if I were you.  If you REALLY want to test the
product, I'd say go ahead and do it.   That part of being able to buy the
finished product for $75 sounds pretty sleezy though.  Don't they think that
you'll save them at least that much in fixed bugs and constructive suggestions?
--
Stephen R. Pietrowicz    UUCP: ...!uunet!modcomp!srp      CIS: 73047,2313

In <17961@cup.portal.com>, Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com writes:
> I have been asked to be a beta test site for a new Amiga software package. The
>software package in question is something that I have alot of experience with,
>so they felt that I would be a good candidate. The software will retail for
>over $300, $350 comes to mind. My problem is that they want each beta test site
>to pay $100 for the beta copy, and sign a non-disclosure agreement. Now the
>non-disclosure agreement I have no problems with, but the $100 part sounds
>kinda funny. It goes on to mention that when the software is released, that...
>"you will have the option of buying a complete package for the price of $75.00
>for a total cost of $175.00 to the beta tester." Now I have never done beta
>testing before, but this does sound kinda fishy. I mean, why should I pay to
>help them work out bugs? Does this sound right? Marco? Leo??

  At least one other company I know of asked a fee from their beta testers.
While it is not common, there is nothing inherently wrong with it. It prevents
the onslaught of thousands of folks wanting a freebie, and who may or may not
do a good job of testing the package. In this case, it sounds like they want
you to be a tester because of your experience and knowledge, so it's a little
surprising that they ask you to pay.

  A good (and honest) beta tester is worth her weight in gold, and should be
treated accordingly. Sadly, not all beta testers are created equal.

-larry

--
  - Don't tell me what kind of a day to have! -
|   //   Larry Phillips                                                |

Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com (05/08/89)

Hi all,
 I just wanted to say thanks to all the folks who replied to my message as well
as sent E-mail. I am planning on calling the company on Monday to see what the
story is. I will report back my findings.

          - Doug -

 Doug_B_Erdely@Portal.Cup.Com