[comp.sys.amiga] grrr...BCPL....

wzg91@ttacs1.ttu.edu (BROWN, KEVIN) (05/07/89)

To the Amiga OS developers:

I've been informed about the history of AmigaDOS, and why there haven't
been any attempts to rewrite it.

My humble apologies for flaming you in my last post.  Considering the
pressures and limitations placed on you, you've done an excellent job.

C-A management, on the other hand, deserves the full force of my previous
flame.  While I now understand and (partially) agree with the reasons for
the INITIAL version of AmigaDOS (time constraints for release of the
product), I DON'T agree with the reasons for not FIXING the problem (i.e.,
I don't agree with the priorities set by C-A management:  Autobooting, V1.2
of the OS, FFS, etc. taking priority over a rewrite of AmigaDOS).  The
reason is that autobooting and FFS can both be accomplished by a rewrite of
AmigaDOS, with the added advantage that the current limitations of AmigaDOS
would be removed.

Granted, rewriting AmigaDOS will introduce a host of new bugs, but finding
these is what beta testers are for!  Out of curiosity, how many people are
actually acting as beta test sites for new revisions of the OS?  I suspect
not nearly enough.

There are a LOT of people on comp.sys.amiga and comp.sys.amiga.tech.  I'd
be willing to bet that quite a number of them (myself included) would be
willing to act as beta-test sites, provided that it doesn't cost anything
(and why should it?  Beta testers are providing a service for free, at
least to the best of my knowledge!).

But since your hands are essentially tied by management (unless the
situation has changed, of course), I have a suggestion: why not release
information about the internal workings of DOS to those who are interested
and let THEM rewrite it?  Many of them (myself included) would probably be
willing to do it for FREE!   Already we have one person (Deven Corzine)
working on a Un*x programmer's interface for the Amiga.  I suspect he'd be
elated if he were allowed to rewrite DOS!  God knows he seems competent
enough to do so...  And when you have enough versions, you can evaluate
them all and decide on which one to use and then release it to your
beta-testers.  Needless to say, I would strongly recomment hiring the
author of the DOS you decide to use so that bug-killing will be easier :-)
:-).  And once the bugs are out, you can release it to the world...

So what about it, guys?  What's to stop you from taking this course of
action?  It doesn't look like AmigaDOS will be rewritten in-house anyway
(at least not any time in the near future) so why NOT have it written
elsewhere???  And your management might like the idea, too, since you (the
Amiga OS people) could concentrate on what your management believes are the
priority items.  In other words, C-A, what do you have to lose?

				Kevin Brown

Internet: wzg91@ttacs1.ttu.edu or	Bitnet:	  WZG91@TTACS1 or
	  c8u00@ttacs1.ttu.edu			  C8U00@TTACS1

Snailnet: 404 Gaston Hall		Voicenet: (806)742-4375
	  Texas Tech University
	  Lubbock, TX  79406

deven@pawl.rpi.edu (Deven Corzine) (05/08/89)

In article <14868@louie.udel.EDU> wzg91@ttacs1.ttu.edu (BROWN, KEVIN) writes:
>Already we have one person (Deven Corzine) working on a Un*x
>programmer's interface for the Amiga.  I suspect he'd be elated if he
>were allowed to rewrite DOS!

Ah, name recognition.  :-)

Rewriting DOS?  [Actually, I generally prefer to say "AmigaDOS" simply
because PC users always say "DOS" meaning "MS-DOS" and assume it's
about the only DOS worth thinking about...  and I'd rather not be
grouped with PC users... :-)  Anyway...]

While I'd certainly like to be able to rewrite the "official" dos of
the Amiga, to be distributed by Commodore-Amiga, it doesn't seem to
likely, at this point.  Perhaps eventually. :-)

On the other hand, were I to write a new filesystem which could
completely replace AmigaDOS, and yet still run concurrently with
AmigaDOS if you wish, as part of my Amigix project...  [an idea I am
giving serious consideration]  Well, if it is clearly superior in all
ways, but for source code compatibility [and still have AmigaDOS
itself available if you really WANT that] and have the interface be
one similar to the Unix model (probably with extensions)...  Can you
say "de facto standard?"

Look at ARP.  Prime example.  ARP is clearly superior in most respects
to AmigaDOS, and its use is therefore quite widespread.  ARexx is
another example.  While commercial, it is nevertheless well on its way
to being a de facto standard for the Amiga.

Now, say I were to have a shell which is a superset of Unix sh, csh,
tcsh, ksh, et al. (or mostly a superset) and also supported
communication between programs over ARexx ports?  I'm not saying I'd
necessarily attempt to duplicate the script language in such a shell,
but allowing it to coordinate programs as ARexx can, [those which
ARexx can] would give the shell the [apparently] most-used and
most-wanted feature of ARexx, while encouraging even more people to
include ARexx ports in their programs...

Of course, there are those who believe I can't do it, or that it
simply can't be done.  I disagree.  But only time can prove who shall
have the last laugh.

>God knows he seems competent enough to do so...

Why, thanks!  :-)

Deven
--
shadow@[128.113.10.2]   <shadow@pawl.rpi.edu> Deven T. Corzine (518) 272-5847