[comp.sys.amiga] System Wars

astrog@garnet.berkeley.edu (Eric Korpela) (05/05/89)

In Article <GRIFF.89May3172946@intelob.intel.com> griff@intelob.intel.com
(Richard Griffith) writes

[nothing of any import]

[several flames]

Let's cut the systems wars, guys.  I've used many many windowing systems
and not one of them is truly inadequate.  They all do  have problems but a lot
of those problems are being solved.

Windows:  Used to be slow as hell, but that's been solved in the 386 version.
Versions 1 and 286 only offer limited "cooperative" multitasking.  386 version
offers true multitasking, though.  Display speed is largely display dependent.
If you use a slow VGA card be prepared to wait.  Nice ability to handle
many programs at a time (even in version 1) and swap dormant ones to disk.

Amiga Workbench:  Nice multitasking, but this is the least user friendly
windowing system I've seen.  You can't get by without the CLI.  Nice and
fast because of the BlT, though.  The displays are real ugly.  In general
the graphics are not as good as they could be because of the poor quality
of the monitors used on most amiga systems.

GEM and ST GEM:  I haven't used ST GEM too much, but I assume its a lot like
PC GEM.  It's nice and fast because it doesn't try to do too much at once.
The displays are good and it does what it's supposed to.  Crashes a lot less
often then the previously mentioned ones. (I guess the latest versions of Amiga
WB and Windows 386 are getting better, though.)

Mac Finder:  Used to be you couldn't play with a Mac for 10 minutes without
crashing it, but at long last the finder works when you want it to. That is
as long as you don't try a recently released upgrade.  Apple seems to have
a problem with releasing new versions before they are debugged.  But overall
this is the most polished of the interfaces.  Some would say it's the most
intuitive, also, but I think they say that because it's the one they learned
first.

Mac Multifinder:  People asked for multitasking and they got it, well, almost.
They got the ability to have multiple apps in memory almost running together.
The print spooler works, though.  The mutlitasking implemented is
cooperative multitasking, not time slicing, so don't expect it to be
"real" multitasking.  The early releases were buggy.  I don't know how
it is now, because I haven't used it for over a year.  Personally I liked
"Switcher" better.

Xwindows:  Well, this one depends on where you use it and what window
manager you use.  Right now I'm using Xwindows on a PC RT with "rtxwm"
I have to say it's like no other windows interface.  It took me a while to
learn to keep the arrow in the window I'm typing in.  But I still use it,
and it seems to be catching on.  For distributed processing on different
types of machines it can't be beat.  Little software supports it though.
(Now that is.)

Sun View, DEC VMS windows interface, NeXT, ...:  I've probably used most
of them, but not enough to comment on their usability.

These are my honest opinions.  None of the interfaces is truly outstanding.
Lets just forget the "my machine is better than yours" messages and get
on with our lives.  The differences between PC systems are in general
marginal.  They do what you program them to do.  Unless you have a CRAY XM/P
on your desk your machine is little different than those the rest of us use.

    /\                      korpela@bkyast.berkeley.edu           Internet
   /__\  rioch              BKYAST::KORPELA    42215::KORPELA     DecNet
  /    \   of Chaos         korpela%bkyast@ucbjade                Bitnet
 (_____________________     <aka Eric Korpela>

Why should the UC care what I say.  According to them I'm not an employee.

kudla@pawl.rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) (05/05/89)

In article <24036@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> astrog@garnet.berkeley.edu (Eric Korpela) writes:

   Let's cut the systems wars, guys.  I've used many many windowing systems
   and not one of them is truly inadequate.

Actually, I've used many windowing systems and not one of them was
*adequate*. :) Though Intuition with its multi-screen approach comes
close to what I want. It's such a bastard to program though....

   Amiga Workbench:  Nice multitasking, but this is the least user friendly
   windowing system I've seen.  You can't get by without the CLI.  Nice and
   fast because of the BlT, though.  The displays are real ugly.  In general
   the graphics are not as good as they could be because of the poor quality
   of the monitors used on most amiga systems.

Ahh, so Workbench is supposed to be the windowing system? Hmmm. (I
can't say much on that, 'cause I used Workbench exactly once before
retreating to the CLI someone'd already customized for me.)

--
Robert Jude Kudla   <kudla@pawl.rpi.edu> <kudla@acm.rpi.edu> <fw3s@RPITSMTS>
Pi-Rho America  \\        ///     "Shooting stars never stop,

les@unicads.UUCP (Les Milash) (05/05/89)

In article <KUDLA.89May5095132@pawl13.pawl.rpi.edu> kudla@pawl.rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) writes:
>   Amiga Workbench:  Nice multitasking, but this is the least user friendly
>   windowing system I've seen.  You can't get by without the CLI.  Nice and
i agree.
>   fast because of the BlT, though.  The displays are real ugly.  In general
>   the graphics are not as good as they could be because of the poor quality
>   of the monitors used on most amiga systems.
true, but i got a computer and a C compiler/debugger/editor/etc and a color
monitor and enought ram to run it all ala ramdisk for $1300.  so let's
not be comparing salmon eggs to caviar w/o acknowledging as much.

>Ahh, so Workbench is supposed to be the windowing system? Hmmm. (I
>can't say much on that, 'cause I used Workbench exactly once before
>retreating to the CLI someone'd already customized for me.)
                   ^^^ (this is the shell, for non-amigoids, "cmd line i/f")
yes, and ran one in each window while another window is slowly accumulating
ray traced pixels and another is panning around over a pixmap larger than
the window while having graphics drawn in it.

sorry to contribute to any net-war.  I see the Ameager like the Apple][ of
the '80s, like a Volkscomputer.

moLester

In article <24036@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> korpela@bkyast.berkeley.edu writes:
>Windows:  Used to be slow as hell, but that's been solved in the 386 version.

	Any speed problem can be solved by throwing hardware at it.  Amiga
windows are reasonably quick with a lowly 7MHz 68K.

>Amiga Workbench:  Nice multitasking, but this is the least user friendly
>windowing system I've seen.  You can't get by without the CLI.

	Yes.  But I thought were were comparing windowing interfaces, not
program launchers.  WorkBench is lackluster, yes; but the window manager,
Intuition, is rather nice.

>GEM and ST GEM:  I haven't used ST GEM too much, but I assume its a lot like
>PC GEM.  It's nice and fast because it doesn't try to do too much at once.

	If the PC version is fast, then something got lost in the ST
translation.  ST windows are (IMHO) slow.  Response to clicking on gadgets
is sluggish; I have to hold the button down for a rather long time for it to
hear me.

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	INET: well!ewhac@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	UUCP: pacbell > !{well,unicom}!ewhac

chad@cup.portal.com (Chad The-Walrus Netzer) (05/07/89)

[Born to Blit]

In a previous article (Leo 'Bols Ewhac' Schwab) writes:
)In article <24036@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> korpela@bkyast.berkeley.edu writes:
)>GEM and ST GEM:  I haven't used ST GEM too much, but I assume its a lot like
)>PC GEM.  It's nice and fast because it doesn't try to do too much at once.
)	If the PC version is fast, then something got lost in the ST
)translation.  ST windows are (IMHO) slow.  Response to clicking on gadgets
)is sluggish; I have to hold the button down for a rather long time for it to
)hear me.
	Nothing was lost in the translation... PC versions of GEM are slow
also... UNLESS, you have a High-speed, Power thrusting, Silicon afterburning
machine, in which case it is at least adequate.
	And you are not mistraken because you DO have to hold down the button
for almost half a second before the pointer will pick up an icon (this
sluggishness occurs on menu selections too, sometimes)  In any case, speed is
obviously not it's purpose in life...  (Maybe "Pain" is...)

				Chad 'The_Walrus' Netzer -> AmigaManiac++

[Fancy quote omitted because all Portal users are immature teenagers who pick
their noses and say, "Duh" to everyone...]

olaf@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Henjum) (05/08/89)

In article <420@unicads.UUCP>, les@unicads.UUCP (Les Milash) writes:
> In article <KUDLA.89May5095132@pawl13.pawl.rpi.edu> kudla@pawl.rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) writes:
> >   Amiga Workbench:  Nice multitasking, but this is the least user friendly
... etc. deleted to get to the point!

You may not be aware of this, but your discussion has somehow gotten
cross-posted to a thoroughly unrelated newsgroup read mostly by shy
people who wouldn't want to give offense unnecessarily.

Please eliminate this questionable-at-best cross-posting to rec.arts.wobegon!