[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga Bridgeboard problems

plw@rayssdb.ray.com (Paul L. White) (04/28/89)

I'd like to get some help from the net regarding these two bridgeboard
problems that I've recently encountered.
.sp
Problem #1 -- When attempting to access amiga virtual drives via the JLINK
command, the bridgeboard locks up...it won't even reboot unless an amiga
warm-boot is performed.  The JLINK command has worked perfectly until
Thursday morning.  I've tried recopying the bridgeboard software, but the
problem remains.  I haven't yet reseated the bridgeboard, thinking
that the problem is somehow operator-error.
.sp
Problem #2 -- Is there a way to use terminal programs via the bridgeboard?
I tried setting up the pc preferences to Serial and then using the qmodem
terminal program, but the Avatex 1200hc remained silent and would not dial
out.
.sp
Perhaps these problems are linked...I couldn't dial out, because the amiga/pc
interface is hosed.  What do you think?

Paul White
Excreta Ergo Sum
Technically Writing Everyday Like the Big Kids

In article <2393@rayssdb.ray.com> plw@rayssdb.ray.com (Paul L. White) writes:
>Problem #2 -- Is there a way to use terminal programs via the bridgeboard?
>I tried setting up the pc preferences to Serial and then using the qmodem
>terminal program, but the Avatex 1200hc remained silent and would not dial
>out.

You need a PC serial card.  The Bridgeboard CANNOT accesss the built-in Amiga
serial port.  PC serial cards go for < $50.

>Perhaps these problems are linked...I couldn't dial out, because the amiga/pc
>interface is hosed.  What do you think?

See above.

-- Marco Papa 'Doc'
uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
 "There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Diga!" -- Leo Schwab [quoting Rick Unland]

sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) (04/28/89)

[ This will most likley get answered more than once. But here goes anyway ]

In Message <2393@rayssdb.ray.com>, plw@rayssdb.ray.com (Paul L. White) writes:

>I'd like to get some help from the net regarding these two bridgeboard
>problems that I've recently encountered.

  Only #1 is a problem.  (See below)

>Problem #2 -- Is there a way to use terminal programs via the bridgeboard?
>I tried setting up the pc preferences to Serial and then using the qmodem
>terminal program, but the Avatex 1200hc remained silent and would not dial
>out.

  The BridgeBoard (XT/AT) requires its own serial port. (Simple eh?)
  I use a half/card with 2 RS-232 and 1 Printer port. Since im running
  Xenix on the BridgeBoard using CBM's LPT1 program was no help to me.
  Besides for around $50 I got the card w/1 of each port and another $15
  got me the 2nd serial port. This is the best solution there is in terms
  of cost and compatibality. Now I can "CU" when needed or run "LapLink"
  (under MS-DOS) if transfer <-> my laptop is needed ;-)

>Perhaps these problems are linked...I couldn't dial out, because the amiga/pc
>interface is hosed.  What do you think?

  Nahh, I tried linking them but I keep getting the message,

  Unresolved external error :-)

  Sneakers

--
                                      ___
    Dan "Sneakers" Schein            ////          BERKS AMIGA BBS

DMasterson@cup.portal.com (David Scott Masterson) (05/05/89)

In a previous message, sneakers@heimat.UUCP writes:

>  The BridgeBoard (XT/AT) requires its own serial port. (Simple eh?)
>  I use a half/card with 2 RS-232 and 1 Printer port. Since im running
>  Xenix on the BridgeBoard using CBM's LPT1 program was no help to me.
>  Besides for around $50 I got the card w/1 of each port and another $15
>  got me the 2nd serial port. This is the best solution there is in terms
>  of cost and compatibality. Now I can "CU" when needed or run "LapLink"
>  (under MS-DOS) if transfer <-> my laptop is needed ;-)

Hmmm, how do you get a non MS/DOS system running on the Bridge?  I thought
the Janus software would require an MS/DOS implementation in order to know
how to communicate DOS<->AMIGADOS.  If not, can you transfer files from
Xenix to Amiga and back (a la AREAD/AWRITE)?  Are you using Janus 2.0?

David Masterson
DMasterson@cup.portal.com

sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) (05/09/89)

In Message <17958@cup.portal.com>, DMasterson@cup.portal.com (David Scott Masterson) writes:

>In a previous message, sneakers@heimat.UUCP writes:
>>
>>  The BridgeBoard (XT/AT) requires its own serial port. (Simple eh?)
>>  I use a half/card with 2 RS-232 and 1 Printer port. Since im running
>>  Xenix on the BridgeBoard using CBM's LPT1 program was no help to me.
>>  Besides for around $50 I got the card w/1 of each port and another $15
>>  got me the 2nd serial port. This is the best solution there is in terms
>>  of cost and compatibality. Now I can "CU" when needed or run "LapLink"
>>  (under MS-DOS) if transfer <-> my laptop is needed ;-)
>>
>Hmmm, how do you get a non MS/DOS system running on the Bridge?  I thought
>the Janus software would require an MS/DOS implementation in order to know
>how to communicate DOS<->AMIGADOS.  If not, can you transfer files from
>Xenix to Amiga and back (a la AREAD/AWRITE)?  Are you using Janus 2.0?

  Xenix is installed and run just like it would be on any MS-DOS system. No
  tricks or fancy magic needed. All I do is set the active drive (IE: the
  drive to boot from) with "FDISK" when I need to switch. (Yes I use 2 20meg
  HD's on the AT bridge - 1 for MS-DOS - 1 for Xenix)

  As for the JANUS software, yes I use 2.0 - I was a beta tester for it. But
  it doesn't run under Xenix, only MS-DOS.  Xenix however can read MS-DOS
  floppies and hard drives. So just aread it to a floppy (or HD) and then read
  it into Xenix. Quick and clean - no depost, no return....  I sometimes decide
  to visit the wife and daughter (IE: sit in the living room rather than hide
  out with heimat) and thats when I use my MS-DOS laptop. Having LapLink helps
  in the MS-DOS (Xenix) xfers (since the laptop is 3.5 and the bridge 5.25).
  Dos-2-Dos helps in the Amiga xfers. I think ive come to some very useable
  and cost effective methods of transfering files not to mention running Unix
  and AmigaDOS at the same time ;-)

  Sneakers

--
                                      ___