[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga as a smarter terminal

gavin@krypton.SGI.COM (Gavin Bell) (04/30/89)

I've got an Amiga at home that I currently use Vt100 to call work from
(work == a Unix workstation).  Unfortunately, I have to go through a
network server that eats ^S and ^Q (otherwise it is a 2400 baud, 8-bit data
path).

I'd like to use a smarter terminal program-- Dnet would be great,
X-windows or NeWS would be even better.  Has anybody found a public
domain OR commercial solution?  I think I heard that Ameristar was
selling a NeWS client for the amiga, but I can't find any
advertisement from them.

It is frustrating having two great machines that can't talk very well
to each other.

--gavin  (gavin@sgi.com, or call me at (415)335-1024 )

rick@sbcs.sunysb.edu (Rick Spanbauer) (04/30/89)

In article <31645@sgi.SGI.COM>, gavin@krypton.SGI.COM (Gavin Bell) writes:
> I'd like to use a smarter terminal program-- Dnet would be great,
> X-windows or NeWS would be even better.  Has anybody found a public
> domain OR commercial solution?  I think I heard that Ameristar was
> selling a NeWS client for the amiga, but I can't find any
> advertisement from them.

	We build a proof of concept prototype of NeWS 1.0 server + clients,
	but didn't bring the product out due to lack of demand and other
	factors in the Amiga market.  Dale Luck of Gfxbase has a very nicely
	done port of X11 for the Amiga.  You should contact him.

> --gavin  (gavin@sgi.com, or call me at (415)335-1024 )

	For plain ascii terminal work over SLIP you might also investigate
	the port of Phil Karns KA9Q Internet package that Ron Minnich
	did.  Phils package is very functional to begin with, and Ron
	did a nice port of it.

	Ameristar sells Ethernet boards + telnet/nfs/ftp, etc clients for
	the Amiga.  They can be reached at (516) 698-0834.  Or see the
	advertisements in the most recent Unix Review/Amazing Computing.

					Rick Spanbauer
					Ameristar

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (05/03/89)

In article <2673@sbcs.sunysb.edu> rick@sbcs.sunysb.edu (Rick Spanbauer) writes:

> We build a proof of concept prototype of NeWS 1.0 server + clients,
> but didn't bring the product out due to lack of demand and other
> factors in the Amiga market.  Dale Luck of Gfxbase has a very nicely
> done port of X11 for the Amiga.  You should contact him.

	I'm not sure how you determined the lack of demand here;
	I'm certainly curious to know what the other factors are
	(if you're willing to say, that is).

	Although I believe that the X port by Dale Luck has been
	done most competently, it is still X. There are a number
	of features of NeWS which would be  most gratefully used
	by many Amiga developers, were they known & available to
	them...

Cheers,
--
   __	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ont.
w \cc/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu

rminnich@super.ORG (Ronald G Minnich) (05/10/89)

In article <2673@sbcs.sunysb.edu> rick@sbcs.sunysb.edu (Rick Spanbauer) writes:
>	For plain ascii terminal work over SLIP you might also investigate
>	the port of Phil Karns KA9Q Internet package that Ron Minnich
well, really, Ron Minnich's adaptation of the original port by
Louis Mammakos. Louis did a nice job, and i filled in the blanks to
fix some problems and create internet.device and a sample client
program. Anybody out there using it yet? It is really neat ...
ron
P.S. Oh, BTW as long as i am here, if anyone is using it, i added an
MPUT command to the FTP server that works as you would expect, and takes
amigados wild cards to boot. Try it, you will like it.