[comp.sys.amiga] 3d glasses

tony@hp-sdd.hp.com (Tony Parkhurst) (05/09/89)

     What's the latest in 3d glasses for the Amiga?  Are there many people
using them yet?  Any reasonable software available for them yet?

Are they hard to work with or program for?

-- Tony
--

Tony Parkhurst	( tony@hp-sdd.HP.COM )

"Is this Hell?  Or is this Texas?" "Both" -- Heinlein, _J_O_B: _A _C_o_m_e_d_y _o_f _J_u_s_t_i_c_e

bhine@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (Butler Hine sst) (05/10/89)

I got the X-Specs package, intending to write a 3-D particle code viewer
using them.  I was rudely surprised to read in the manual (inside the
box, naturally) that a developer's library was available for extra $.
In other words, without paying the extra $ you can basically look at the
sample pictures and play Space Spuds, but not much else.  I expected
that for the cost of the package it would at least include some sample
code or a library to make the thing useful.  A nice piece of hardware,
and the sample stuff really whets your appetite, but pretty
disappointing if you want to develop your own code.  I really wish
companies would point out things like this on the outside of the
package.

			Butler Hine
			bhine@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov

cfchiesa@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Christopher Chiesa) (05/10/89)

In article <25195@ames.arc.nasa.gov>, bhine@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (Butler Hine  sst) writes:
> I got the X-Specs package, intending to write a 3-D particle code viewer
> using them.  I was rudely surprised to read in the manual (inside the
> box, naturally) that a developer's library was available for extra $.
> In other words, without paying the extra $ you can basically look at the
> sample pictures and play Space Spuds, but not much else.  I expected
> that for the cost of the package it would at least include some sample
> code or a library to make the thing useful.  A nice piece of hardware,
> and the sample stuff really whets your appetite, but pretty
> disappointing if you want to develop your own code.  I really wish
> companies would point out things like this on the outside of the
> package.
>
> 			Butler Hine
> 			bhine@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov

The author of Space Spuds, John Schultz (hi John!) is on this Net, and in fact
it was through talking to him here that I first became aware of the existence
of X-Specs 3D it/themself/ves.  I hope if he's reading this he'll put in some
Official Commentary on this.

Anyway, I felt the same way about wanting to develop my own X-Specs-compatible
software, and was equally disappointed by the lack of information in the sup-
plied documentation (heck, they don't even describe what all the controls are
in Space Spuds, and that's SUPPLIED!), although I already knew that the code,
library, etc. would NOT be there...

John, if you're reading, please tell us what you can about this situation.

Chris Chiesa

    a.k.a.

       Chris_F_Chiesa@cup.portal.com
--
UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!cfchiesa
cfchiesa@bsu-cs.UUCP