[comp.sys.amiga] WordPerfect comes back

srp@modcomp.UUCP (Steve Pietrowicz) (05/09/89)

After posting their announcement about dropping future Amiga development, Pete
Peterson and Lynn LeBaron of WP stayed on CompuServe and listened to user
comments.  And, believe it or not, it must have made a difference!  The
following notice was posted to CompuServe today.

--------------------------------------
#: 47430 S3/Hot News and Rumors
    08-May-89  15:42:17
Sb: #WPCorp & Amiga
Fm: Amiga WordPerfect 72447,3427
To: ALL

OK, things are looking up, the decision has been made.
 As of today (8 May 1989) WordPerfect Corporation will continue to do new
development on WordPerfect for the Amiga.  Three programmers will be
working on both maintaining version 4.1 and Library, and additionally they
will be working on a future version of WordPerfect.
 Due to these limited resources, development will procede at a slower pace.
No attempt will be made to do a 6.0 product for the time being.  However,
features will be added to the current product to move it in that direction.
 Currently, the first priority is to complete the maintanence update of
4.1. This should take less than a month.
 Next, development will be done on the new version.  The current plans are
not complete, but here are some of the ideas:
 - 4.2 file format
 - Print preview
 - Sort
 - Document comments
 - ARexx support
 - Non-interactive spell checking
 - Better scroll bar support
 - Other 4.2 & 5.0 enhancements (dependant on demand & time)
 We can now move forward and get back to doing some real work on the Amiga.
 Please let me know of any opinions you have on the next version of
WordPerfect.
 We have not totally ruled out graphics support, it is something we are
considering, but with the limited resources it is hard to justify.  We
will, of course be looking at fixing the anomalies of 4.1 (scroll bars)
along with adding the new features.
  //
\X/ Lynn
--------------------------------------

--
Stephen R. Pietrowicz    UUCP: ...!uunet!modcomp!srp      CIS: 73047,2313

kim@beowulf.ucsd.edu (Geoffrey K Kim) (05/10/89)

In article <158@modcomp.UUCP> srp@modcomp.UUCP (Steve Pietrowicz) writes:
>[stuff deleted]
>OK, things are looking up, the decision has been made.
> As of today (8 May 1989) WordPerfect Corporation will continue to do new
>development on WordPerfect for the Amiga.  Three programmers will be
Okay everyone Wordperfect is back again, so you can stop stocking up
on WP 4.0 now!  Oh, and by the way, they're thinking of getting rid
of Coke Classic again! :)

| kim @beowulf.UCSD.EDU (Home of the Garden Weasles)                  |
|        "... ENGAGE!" -- Jean Luc Picard, STTNG                      |