[comp.sys.amiga] Simple questions about moderated groups and Bridgeboard

doug@homxc.ATT.COM (D.SULPY) (05/03/89)

I'm a relative newcomer, who's attempting to get files from the
moderated Amiga newsgroups. I've followed the examples in the
"intro to comp.sys.amiga" posting, but I still have a couple of
simple questions. I've tried mailing these questions to Bob Page,
but the email bounced. Here goes ---

I'm writing the different parts of the files from comp.binaries.amiga
to my UNIX account, and running them through sh. I'm cutting off the
parts at the top, but I'm not modifying the ends of the files, nor
concatinating them. This seems to work ok, and I end up with a number
of sequentially numbered files with a .zu extention.

The intro posting makes no reference to a .zu extention. Can I assume
this refers to something which must first be run through uudecode on
the Amiga side, and then zoo (also on the Amiga side) to be able to
run properly? If so, I'll order uudecode from the appropriate Fish
disk (or use the Amiga Basic version posted a couple of days ago)
and I'm in business (I already have ZOO somewhere).

Now the REAL stupid question (I hope your tolerence level is high
today)... Are the files on comp.sources.amiga simply the uncompiled
versions of stuff on comp.binaries.amiga? That is, if I pull ARP (for
example) off of .binaries, and have no desire to look at the source
code, do I also have to pull something off of .sources as well to
enable it to work? My ultimate plan is to be able to get the programs
from USENET over to a 3 1/2 disk on my PC here at work, and then
cart them home to my Amiga, and use Dos-To-Dos (which I have on order)
to transfer them.

One last question, for those of you who own Bridgeboards - I already
own a Commodore Colt PC clone. The Bridgeboard comes with only 512K.
Can I pull chips out of the Colt and put them onto the Bridgeboard
to bring it up to 640, or shall I save up another six months and
spring for the AT Bridgeboard?

tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) (05/05/89)

[ Well, I'm often ill-tempered, but I'm not a developer ... ]

In article <6526@homxc.ATT.COM>, doug@homxc (D.SULPY) writes:
>This seems to work ok, and I end up with a number of sequentially
>numbered files with a .zu extention.

Good.

>The intro posting makes no reference to a .zu extention.

The intro should be updated, then.

>Can I assume this refers to something which must first be run through
>uudecode on the Amiga side, and then zoo (also on the Amiga side) to
>be able to run properly?

This is the most common question I get asked (probably since the
archives on xanth are verbatim copies of what Bob posts).

The *.zu? files are *parts* of *one* LARGE uuencoded file.

Since you already have the files on your UNIX box (as you mentioned),
go ahead and use the UNIX cat command to join these files into one
LARGE *.zuu file:

xanth% ls -1
joe.zu1
joe.zu2
joe.zu3
xanth% cat joe.zu? > tmp

Now, since you're still on your UNIX box, use the uudecode you
(should) have there to turn tmp into a Zoo file:

xanth% uudecode tmp
xanth% ls -1
joe.zoo
joe.zu1
joe.zu2
joe.zu3
tmp

Then, download the zoo file to your Amiga (using some kind of binary
protocol, like Zmodem, or Kermit in Image Mode, etc.)

If you do your concatenation and uudecoding on your UNIX box, you'll
save yourself a lot of download time, since the zoo file is going to
be smaller than the uuencoded files.

Hope this helps.

	...tad

mikes@lakesys.UUCP (Mike Shawaluk) (05/06/89)

In article <8750@xanth.cs.odu.edu> tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) writes:
>xanth% cat joe.zu? > tmp
>xanth% uudecode tmp

Of course, the true UN*X hacker/enthusiast would have combined these two
operations into one step via piping, and would have saved themselves the
bother of deleting the temporary file later; vis:

whatever% cat joe.zu? | uudecode

At least I know that this works for the version of uudecode that we have
here.

Oh, and by the way, in case there's ever a multi-part posting with more than
9 parts (there was one last year, but happily that type of thing hasn't been
going on lately), you'd use a command of the form:

whatever% cat bob.zu? bob.zu1? | uudecode

assuming that there were no more than 19 parts, and the the files were named
with .zu1, .zu2, ... .zu9, .zu10, etc. (which is how they were named last
time, instead of the slightly more easily sortable .zu01, ...)

--
   - Mike Shawaluk
       (mikes@lakesys.lakesys.com  OR  ...!uunet!marque!lakesys!mikes)

tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) (05/11/89)

In article <604@lakesys.UUCP>, mikes@lakesys (Mike Shawaluk) writes:
>Of course, the true UN*X hacker/enthusiast would have combined these two
>operations into one step via piping...
>whatever% cat joe.zu? | uudecode

This also works (though it may not be clear to the novice what you're doing).
I wanted to clearly show each step of what was happening...

	...tad