[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga Linker virus?

niesemc@econ.vu.nl (Amiga2000 POWER User) (04/25/89)

Recently, some of my friends and I are having trouble with files that are
written/read back to and from disk. Sometimes it works fine, sometimes the
files are causing 'read/write errors'. When you examine the sectors, they
are OK.

The word on the street is that a linker virus is going around, attaching itself
to files, within files, etc. All the viruses I know are bootblock based, and I
do not think the virus will display a message, so it will be hard to detect.

If you know more about this, or know a byte-sequence to look for, please post
it!

Thanks in advance.

niesemc@econ.vu.nl (Amiga2000 POWER User) (05/02/89)

A friend told me this was the so-called 'IRQ' virus. He also told me this
virus causes the 'read/write error' requesters to appear.

Are there any other Amigans who suffer from IRQ? Please pass your info along!

If anyone writes a program to detect/remove IRQ, please send it to Fred Fish,
because this one may have infected even the most careful among us...

davidc@ziebmef.uucp (David Carlton) (05/11/89)

In article <265@vuecon.econ.vu.nl>, niesemc@econ.vu.nl (Amiga2000 POWER User) writes:

> A friend told me this was the so-called 'IRQ' virus. He also told me this
> virus causes the 'read/write error' requesters to appear.
>
> Are there any other Amigans who suffer from IRQ? Please pass your info along!
>
> If anyone writes a program to detect/remove IRQ, please send it to Fred Fish,
> because this one may have infected even the most careful among us...

The IRQ virus is a nasty new type. It has two parts; the Parent, and the
Child. The Parent goes about your disks by the normal means. Jumping from
disk to disk and creating new boot blocks. The Child on the other hand,
does something never before tried. It attaches itself to executables.
(i.e. Programs that run themselves by typing the name of the file.)

 Some of the files it looks for are DIR in your C dir, the first executable
file in your ROOT dir, and from what I've heard, even some of the VIRUS
killers! Now when the Child adds itself to the front of the file, every
time you run it, the virus creates a Child or Parent! This gets very messy!!

There is a program available in the Public-Domain, called VIRUS-X. It
will kill many of the virus's including the IR!Q virus. The version you need
is 3.2! There is a 3.3 version but that was re-written by some kid and it
too is a VIRUS! Stay away from 3.3!

The nice fellow who made this wonderful program is Steve Tibbett.

I think you can get it already on Fred Fish's disks.. I'm not sure which
disk it's on... They've released up to 210 now!!!

Hope that bit of info helps!

--
David Carlton
..!{uunet!atcan!telly!magsta,utgpu,ontmoh,ziebmef}!davidc