[comp.sys.amiga] printer shifts chars...

marco@hpuamsa.UUCP (Marco Lesmeister) (05/06/89)

I'm trying to get my Star Gemini 10X printer to work with my Amy,
but it garbles my text files. It seems to shift some of the
characters by one position, for example;

The line reading:

Addbuffers df1: 50

gets out on my printer like:

@ddbtffdrr df0: 40

And I get a lot of newlines and formfeed characters between lines.

Does somebody know how to solve this?
I tried different kinds of drivers, and the problem is that I had
it to work a while ago.

Thanks for any suggestions!!

Marco Lesmeister         |\    /|
hpuamsa!marco (6544)     | \  / |
AEO Systems Consulting   |  \/  |
Hewlett Packard Holland  |      |____

dan@ivucsb.UUCP (Dan Howell) (05/10/89)

In article <7880009@hpuamsa.UUCP> marco@hpuamsa.UUCP (Marco Lesmeister) writes:
|I'm trying to get my Star Gemini 10X printer to work with my Amy,
|but it garbles my text files. It seems to shift some of the
|characters by one position, for example;
|The line reading:
|Addbuffers df1: 50
|gets out on my printer like:
|@ddbtffdrr df0: 40
|And I get a lot of newlines and formfeed characters between lines.

Bit 0 (the least signifigant bit) is getting lost somewhere.  Check your
cable, as most likely a broken wire in the cable is the problem.  Bit 0 is
pin 2 on the amiga side, but I don't remember which pin it is on the
printer side, possibly someone else could provide the info.  Wiggling the
cable might actually (temporarily) fix the problem.  If you know someone
else with an Amiga and a parallel printer, try switching cables, printers,
and computers, so you can isolate the problem.  It's definitely a hardware
problem, not a software problem.

By the way, it IS a parallel printer, right?
--
-- Dan Howell  <ivucsb!dan@anise.acc.com>
               Note: UUCP address thru nessus is no longer valid.

rusty@hocpa.UUCP (M.W.HADDOCK) (05/10/89)

In article <7880009@hpuamsa.UUCP> marco@hpuamsa.UUCP (Marco Lesmeister) writes:
   >I'm trying to get my Star Gemini 10X printer to work with my Amy,
   >but it garbles my text files. It seems to shift some of the
   >characters by one position, for example;
   >
   >The line reading:
   >	Addbuffers df1: 50
   >gets out on my printer like:
   >	@ddbtffdrr df0: 40
   >
   >Thanks for any suggestions!!

Marco,
	If you look at the differences between the ASCII values (in binary,
	octal, or hex) of the characters that differ you will see that the
	values in error have (at least) their least significant bit zero'd.
	I'd say... CHECK YOUR PRINTER CABLE!  If another parallel cable
	doesn't work I'd then suggest to check your printer and your Amiga's
	parallel port.   It is the parallel port you have your printer
	hooked to, right?

   >And I get a lot of newlines and formfeed characters between lines.

	Like I said before, check the ASCII values.  A formfeed is 0x0c
	which is a CARRIAGE RETURN (0x0d) with the 1's bit zero'd.  The
	newlines suggest possibly another bit is getting stuck or possibly
	the TAB stops aren't set.  Some printers, when sent a TAB with no
	tab stops set, basically just kick up a newline.  The tab stops not
	being set could have been caused by the grounded LSB.

				-Rusty-
--
Rusty Haddock		{uunet!likewise,att,arpa}!hocpa!rusty
AT&T Consumer Products Laboratories - Human Factors Laboratory

athomson@nodename.dec.com (05/10/89)

In article <7880009@hpuamsa.UUCP>, marco@hpuamsa.UUCP (Marco Lesmeister) writes...
>I'm trying to get my Star Gemini 10X printer to work with my Amy,
>but it garbles my text files. It seems to shift some of the
>characters by one position, for example;
>The line reading:
>Addbuffers df1: 50
>gets out on my printer like:
>@ddbtffdrr df0: 40
>Thanks for any suggestions!!
>Marco Lesmeister

The problem would appear to be that your printer isn't seeing the signal on
data line 0 on your parallel port, therefore any characters with bit 0 set
are being seen by the printer as one ascii character less than it should,
e.g. 'A' (65) is seen as '@' (64) etc.

Could be either the printer, the cable or your parallel port, but I'd check
out the cable first. Can you borrow another to try it...?

mclek@dcatla.UUCP (Larry E. Kollar) (05/10/89)

In article <607@hocpa.UUCP> rusty@hocpa.UUCP (91341-M.W.HADDOCK) writes:
>In article <7880009@hpuamsa.UUCP> marco@hpuamsa.UUCP (Marco Lesmeister) writes:
>   [Star Gemini 10X printer shifting characters]
>   >
>   >The line reading:
>   >	Addbuffers df1: 50
>   >gets out on my printer like:
>   >	@ddbtffdrr df0: 40
>
>   >And I get a lot of newlines and formfeed characters between lines.
>
>I'd say... CHECK YOUR PRINTER CABLE!

I had a similar thing happen when I first bought my KXP-1124.  Instead of
the least significant bit stuck off (which is apparant by looking at Marco's
example & an ASCII table, I was getting the most significant bit stuck on.

Strangely enough, disconnecting the frame ground wire* at the printer end of
the cable cured the problem.  I never bothered to figure out why it worked;
since the computer & printer are both plugged into the same power strip, the
ground potential couldn't have been THAT different.

*For those who don't have a parallel printer, the frame ground wire comes out
of the bottom of the connector & hangs loose with a spade connector on the
end.  You attach it to a screw on the printer next to the connector.

So... try disconnecting the frame ground wire.  If it's already disconnected,
try putting it on.  If you have a serial printer, get a new cable. :-)

Hope this helps.
--
Larry Kollar	...!gatech!dcatla!mclek
If potatoes aren't computers, why are there potato chips and potato bugs?

reynolds@felix.UUCP (David Reynolds) (05/13/89)

	A good friend of mine and I both had Gemini 10X's with our C-64
	computers.  He also converted over to an Amiga, and just like you
	had the same problems.  It seems his solution was to have the
	Cable rewired, (Seems to be a difference in wiring in the Epson JX
	cable I used, and his Gemini...)
	It was a long time ago, but I know that everything works ok now,
	including graphics!!!

	Good Luck...

	| David Reynolds         |    Can someone please give me a    |
	| FileNet Corp.          |  A2500, just cuz I'm A nice Guy??  |
	| !hplabs!felix!reynolds | No huh? How about $1,000,000.00??? |
	| Disclaimer: It's not FileNets' Fault, I only work for them! |