[comp.sys.amiga] FastFonts Fun

raw@mcnc.org (Russell Williams) (05/08/89)

	I have finally started experimenting with the pearl font, but I can't
seem to install it as my system font.  I have an A1000 with the kickstart
eliminator, so I can't put it on my kickstart disk as my default font.  I'm
trying to use FF on it, but I can't get it to recognize.  My fonts directory
looks like this:
	Fonts (dir)
		11
		8
	pearl.font

I have tried invoking it by FF pearl.font, FF -1 pearl.font, and both times it
gave me FF cannot open font pearl.font

	I have tried several variations, but I can't seem to get it to work.
		8
	pearl.font

	I have tried FF -1 pearl.font, FF pearl.font, FF fonts/pearl.font, and
other variations.  The only response I ever get is

	FF cannot open font pearl.font

	After the open font whatever I typed in after FF is printed.
	Can anybody help?

				Thanks,
					Russell

dwl10@uts.amdahl.com (Dave Lowrey) (05/08/89)

I believe that FastFonts requires an 8 and a 9 point font (for 80
and 60 chars per line).

    "What is another word for 'Thesaurus'?"  Steven Wright

                          Dave Lowrey
                          Amdahl Corp.
                          Houston, Texas
                          (713)-850-8828
                         ...!{ames,sun,decwrl,uunet,....}!amdahl!dwl10

[ The opinions expressed <may> be those of the author and not necessarily
  those of his most eminent employer. ]

mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) (05/08/89)

> Excerpts from ext.nn.comp.sys.amiga: 7-May-89 FastFonts Fun Russell
> Williams@mcnc.or (829)

> 	I have finally started experimenting with the pearl font, but I can't
> seem to install it as my system font.	Can anybody help?

Fire up the Commodore 1.3 Font Editor.  Load the Pearl 8 font, and
resave it.  FastFonts should now be able to use the Pearl font.

The reason why this works is that the 1.2 Font Editor incorrectly set
some status bits in the font description (which ones escape me now) and
1.3 sets them properly.  FastFonts is less than forgiving about the
status bits being set incorrectly.

				--M
--
Michael Portuesi * Information Technology Center * Carnegie Mellon
University

raw@mcnc.org (Russell Williams) (05/09/89)

	For those of you following the FastFonts Fun problem, here is the
solution.  A number of you guessed incorrectly due to my own fault, of not
writing down the directories correctly.  What my problem was is much stranger.
	Until yesterday, I had never bothered looking at the program FixFonts
on my 1.3.  I assumed (incorrectly) that it was a user friendly way of
transferring fonts, kind of like installPrinter.  Well, it's not.  Apparently,
you have to run it after you install a new font on your systems disk.  Just
once, and then the font is ready to use.  I could read this font from a program,I just couldn't use it with FF until I had run fixfonts.
	Sorry to waste people's time.  I should have read my manual a little
more closely.  I just got on the wrong track trying to solve the problem and
had a difficult time thinking non-linearly.

					russell

nsw@cord.UUCP (Neil Weinstock) (05/10/89)

In article <4390@alvin.mcnc.org> raw@mcnc.UUCP writes:
>	I have finally started experimenting with the pearl font, but I can't
>seem to install it as my system font.  I have an A1000 with the kickstart
>eliminator, so I can't put it on my kickstart disk as my default font.  I'm
>trying to use FF on it, but I can't get it to recognize.  My fonts directory
>looks like this:
>	Fonts (dir)
>		11
>		8
>	pearl.font
>
>I have tried invoking it by FF pearl.font, FF -1 pearl.font, and both times it
>gave me FF cannot open font pearl.font
[ ... ]
>other variations.  The only response I ever get is
>
>	FF cannot open font pearl.font

Are you trying to run FF from a shell?  When I first started to play with
FF, I tried doing stuff manually from my shell (Dillon 2.11).  No go; I got
the same message you did.  What eventually worked for me was running
FF from a plain vanilla CLI.  (BTW, I use the "sharp" font that came with
the TSnip distribution some time ago).

If that isn't your problem, I'm still curious why I can't use FF from a shell.
I do recall hearing about FF being very picky about it's command line
format, but I would have guessed that the shell doesn't make it any different
from a CLI...

 /.- -- .. --. .- .-. ..- .-.. . ... .- -- .. --. .- .-. ..- .-.. . ...\
/ Neil Weinstock | att!cord!nsw     | "One man's garbage is another     \
\ AT&T Bell Labs | nsw@cord.att.com | man's prune danish." - Harv Laser /
 \.- -- .. --. .- .-. ..- .-.. . ... .- -- .. --. .- .-. ..- .-.. . .../

jdm@gryphon.COM (John Mesiavech) (05/11/89)

All;

The reason for problems with FastFont is simple.  Although the CBM
docs say that FF Will search fonts: have found by experimentation
that it does not.  Simply specify the path, and FF will then find your font.

To load PEARL, just incant "FF fonts:pearl.font" and it'll work.

John

--

0-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-> All disclaimers apply; I didn't write this <-=-=-=-=-=-0
|                   ----------------------|-------------------             |

kudla@pawl.rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) (05/14/89)

In article <15704@gryphon.COM> jdm@gryphon.COM (John Mesiavech) writes:

   The reason for problems with FastFont is simple.  Although the CBM
   docs say that FF Will search fonts: have found by experimentation
   that it does not.  Simply specify the path, and FF will then find your font.
   To load PEARL, just incant "FF fonts:pearl.font" and it'll work.

<garbagerie> ram: (9) ff fonts:dinky.font
FastFonts v1.1 Copyright   1987 by C.Heath of Microsmiths, Inc
Can't open font fonts:dinky.font
Can't open font fonts:dinky.font
Turning on FastText
<garbagerie> ram: (10)

This is quite repeatable, and I assure you that dinky.font is in my
fonts: directory since my .cshrc sets it...... I'm using the following
setup: NEWCON:, MachII v2.5, GOMF 2.0, and Dillon's cshell v2.10 (I'll
hopefully buy wshell pretty soon, though I wish there would be
something that would work with the 1.3 resident commands and yet not
be lame). Would that make a difference?

--
Robert Jude Kudla   <kudla@pawl.rpi.edu> <kudla@acm.rpi.edu> <fw3s@RPITSMTS>
Pi-Rho America  \\        ///     "The watcher and the tower,