[comp.sys.amiga] wp crashing

RICK@QUCDNAST.BITNET (05/08/89)

In article <4389@alvin.mcnc.org>, raw@mcnc.org (Russell Williams) writes:

>I can edit huge
>documents with little loss of speed, and after the first two revisions, it has
>never crashed on me.  Never.

Here's one way:
 - go into preferences, select interlace. save. reboot.
 - on reboot, change font to an 11-point font, ie: setfont pearl 11
 - run WP

now you should see that any characters typed to WP will be incomplete:
only the top (8 scan lines? something like that...) of each character
will be displayed. this makes WP unusable. SO....

 - set font back to an 8 point font
 - run WP
 - set font to 11 point font (so that the other windows in the system
   will be readable :-)
this last action brings an instant visit from the guru about half of the
time on my system. part of the time it will crash, make it part way
through a reboot, then crash again: frequently back to kickstart
(destroying RAD: but not vd0: as it goes). i can't seem to find any common
denominator among the various types of crashes.

   i could, i suppose, either not use interlace (boo) or put up with an
8-point font. but my eyesight is bad, and that's _just_ a bit too small
to read easily. pearl 11 in interlace is *perfect*. sigh.

the summary? WP crashes. :-)

Think I'll stay in bed                       Rick Pim, Physics Department
Dream all day                                Queen's University, Kingston
World outside bugs me anyway.                rick@qucdnast.bitnet

raw@mcnc.org (Russell Williams) (05/09/89)

In article <8905081520.AA11220@jade.berkeley.edu>, RICK@QUCDNAST.BITNET writes:
> In article <4389@alvin.mcnc.org>, raw@mcnc.org (Russell Williams) writes:
>
> >I can edit huge
> >documents with little loss of speed, and after the first two revisions, it has
> >never crashed on me.  Never.

Then Rick Pim prompty responds:

> Here's one way:
>
> the summary? WP crashes. :-)
>
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
> Think I'll stay in bed                       Rick Pim, Physics Department
> Dream all day                                Queen's University, Kingston
> World outside bugs me anyway.                rick@qucdnast.bitnet

	Okay, okay.  I guess I should have known that the minute I wrote that
article, someone was going to be able to make WordPerfect crash.  On demand
no less.
	I think the example proves my point though.  That's not a very common
demand upon the system that was made by the diabolical Mr. Pim.  If that's
what it takes to crash the system, I'm still pretty happy with it.
	Actually, though, maybe I'm not.  The idea of using it in interlace
kind of appeals to me.  Does anyone know how to fix this problem, or an
elegant workaround?  I'd be interested in hearing about it.
	However, the point still stands.  My hat's off to Mr. Pim.  It's funny,
but although he doesn't know it, I've been meeting up with Mr. Pim my entire
life.  Whenever I make a statement of absolute fact he's waiting there in the
background.  Or am I wrong?! :-)

					Russell Williams

ecphssrw@io.csun.edu (Stephen Walton) (05/10/89)

In article <8905081520.AA11220@jade.berkeley.edu>, RICK@QUCDNAST writes:
>In article <4389@alvin.mcnc.org>, raw@mcnc.org (Russell Williams) writes:
>
>>...after [WordPerfect's] first two revisions, it has
>>never crashed on me.  Never.
>
>Here's one way:

Rick then describes a way to make your machine crash using a very
obscure combination of reboots, SetFont's and WordPerfect's.  Since
SetFont is definitely *not* a supported part of the Amiga's OS, but a
quick hack Dave Haynie put together which works _sometimes_, blaming
WordPerfect because an interaction between it and SetFont crashes your
system stretches things a bit.
--
Stephen Walton, Dept. of Physics & Astronomy, Cal State Univ. Northridge
RCKG01M@CALSTATE.BITNET       ecphssrw@afws.csun.edu

RICK@QUCDNAST.BITNET (05/11/89)

In  <705@solaria.csun.edu>, ecphssrw@io.csun.edu (Stephen Walton) says:

>Rick then describes a way to make your machine crash using a very
>obscure combination of reboots, SetFont's and WordPerfect's.

It's not obscure. If you use an interlaced workbench (I do; I bought a
long persistence monitor so I could.) and if you, as a result, modify
the system font to topaz 11 or pearl 11 (one of the reasons topaz 11
appeared in fonts: when 1.2 appeared, I think), then you will encounter
either (a) an unusable WordPerfect or (b) a system crash if you decide
to try and deal with (a). I was _not_ looking for wierd ways to crash
the program; I was just trying to _use_ WP without completely changing
my work environment.

>Since SetFont is definitely *not* a supported part of the Amiga's OS,
>but a quick hack Dave Haynie put together which works _sometimes_,
>blaming WordPerfect because an interaction between it and SetFont \
>crashes your system stretches things a bit.

I know that SetFont ain't 'official'. But I disagree with your
conclusion: the _only_ program I've _ever_ found that has a wierd
interaction with SetFont is, um, er, WordPerfect. I am more ready to
believe that WP did something dumb than I am to believe that _everyone_
else got lucky. :-)

In article <8905102038.AA19268@jade.berkeley.edu> RICK@QUCDNAST.BITNET writes:
>It's not obscure. If you use an interlaced workbench (I do; I bought a
>long persistence monitor so I could.) and if you, as a result, modify
>the system font to topaz 11 or pearl 11 (one of the reasons topaz 11
>appeared in fonts: when 1.2 appeared, I think), then you will encounter
>either (a) an unusable WordPerfect or (b) a system crash if you decide
>to try and deal with (a). I was _not_ looking for wierd ways to crash
>the program; I was just trying to _use_ WP without completely changing
>my work environment.

The Amiga does not support fonts that are neither 8 or 9 points as the
default font. Period. It may with 1.4, but in the meantime you use
other fonts at your own risk. Holding it against WordPerfect that
WP crashes in that configuration is not rational. You can't read the
workbench menus very well either, nor does AmigaBASIC function so hot,
nor does any number of other problems. It ain't WP's fault it is the
Amigas for not doing something you would like it to be capable of.

I've suggested to word perfect that they force the font to Topaz/8
when they run. I'm sure that wouldn't turn you on either.

To be perfectly clear. I understand your problem very well (I too use
an interlaced WB all of the time), and WordPerfect should be able to
support different fonts (and in fact they do support any font you can
select through preferences). But they don't support hacks, even those
by Commodore employees. They aren't required to.

--Chuck McManis
"A most excellent barbarian ... Genghis Kahn!"

ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) (05/14/89)

In article <705@solaria.csun.edu> ecphssrw@io.csun.edu (Stephen Walton) writes:

>Rick then describes a way to make your machine crash using a very
>obscure combination of reboots, SetFont's and WordPerfect's.  Since
>SetFont is definitely *not* a supported part of the Amiga's OS, but a
>quick hack Dave Haynie put together which works _sometimes_, blaming
>WordPerfect because an interaction between it and SetFont crashes your
>system stretches things a bit.

Yes and no.  If WordPerfect is going to assume that the font it's using
is 8 pixels high, _then_it_should_force_topaz_8_, or some other 8 pixel
font.  If it's going to use the default system font, then it had darn
well better check the size of that font before squashing it into an 8-
pixel-high line.  And WP isn't alone.  Lots of software breaks if you
don't have an 8x8 font as the default.  And you don't have to use
something "obscure" like setfont for this to happen.  Most software
that I've seen that is broken WRT fonts--and this includes WP--will
also break with topaz 9.  You know, the one selectable in Preferences?
The *default* font, for cryin' out loud!  (At least it used to be.)

I've never gotten WP to actually crash because of the system font.  But
I feel the way it responds to non-topaz-8 system font is inexcusable.
And the same goes for lots of other programs.

--
Eric Kennedy
ejkst@cisunx.UUCP