[comp.sys.amiga] 1.4 wish list-Printer Support

kms@ecsvax.UUCP (Ken Steele) (05/12/89)

My wish for 1.4 (and 1.3 and 1.2) is for C-A to provide a utility
that will allow the user to create his/her own printer driver.

The problem is that printers (particularly dot matrix) are constantly
being changed/modified/tweaked by the manufacturers.  The current
method by C-A for providing drivers often means that if you don't
have an official driver then you are plagued by missing or incorrect
commands and are, otherwise, generally out of luck.

For example, I have an Okidata 192 (IBM version).  This is not a rare
printer.  But I have been unable to find a driver that supports all its
features AND doesn't attempt unrecognized features.

When I write, I produce 50-page documents which need to follow
rather specific page-formatting rules.  Because I have to use
whatever printer is available, this means that I have had to stick with
the IBM for such work because on it each piece of software provides drivers
(and periodic updates to incorporate new printers).

I follow the reasoning of C-A's approach to driver issues, and have
no quarrel about that.  However the approach means that C-A needs to
provide some easier mechanism, than having to write your own printer
driver, to allow incorporation of the wide variety of printers.

One suggestion:  Since so many of the printer command sets are variations
of a few basic themes, then perhaps a few skeleton drivers could be
provided along with a patching program for specific user needs. Such
drivers may not be as powerful/efficient as a from-scratch driver but
would allow the user to "get by."

--
Ken Steele   Dept. of Psychology    kms@ecsvax.[bitnet | UUCP]
             Mars Hill College

dwl10@uts.amdahl.com (Dave Lowrey) (05/12/89)

In article <6984@ecsvax.UUCP> kms@ecsvax.UUCP (Ken Steele) writes:

>My wish for 1.4 (and 1.3 and 1.2) is for C-A to provide a utility
>that will allow the user to create his/her own printer driver.

Fish Disk #60 has a program called PrtDrvGen. It will do exactly what
you have asked for.

--
"What is another word  |  Dave Lowrey    | [The opinions expressed MAY be
 for 'Thesaurus'?"     |  Amdahl Corp.   | those of the author and are not
                       |  Houston, Texas | necessarily those of his
   Steven Wright       |  amdahl!dwl10   | employer]   (`nuff said!)

daveb@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Berezowski) (05/12/89)

In article <6984@ecsvax.UUCP> kms@ecsvax.UUCP (Ken Steele) writes:

>My wish for 1.4 (and 1.3 and 1.2) is for C-A to provide a utility
>that will allow the user to create his/her own printer driver.
>
>The problem is that printers (particularly dot matrix) are constantly
>being changed/modified/tweaked by the manufacturers.  The current
>method by C-A for providing drivers often means that if you don't
>have an official driver then you are plagued by missing or incorrect
>commands and are, otherwise, generally out of luck.
>
>For example, I have an Okidata 192 (IBM version).  This is not a rare
>printer.  But I have been unable to find a driver that supports all its
>features AND doesn't attempt unrecognized features.
>
>When I write, I produce 50-page documents which need to follow
>rather specific page-formatting rules.  Because I have to use
>whatever printer is available, this means that I have had to stick with
>the IBM for such work because on it each piece of software provides drivers
>(and periodic updates to incorporate new printers).
>
>I follow the reasoning of C-A's approach to driver issues, and have
>no quarrel about that.  However the approach means that C-A needs to
>provide some easier mechanism, than having to write your own printer
>driver, to allow incorporation of the wide variety of printers.
>
>One suggestion:  Since so many of the printer command sets are variations
>of a few basic themes, then perhaps a few skeleton drivers could be
>provided along with a patching program for specific user needs. Such
>drivers may not be as powerful/efficient as a from-scratch driver but
>would allow the user to "get by."

	A printer driver generator can be written to support the text mode
of a printer (in fact there is such a beast called PrtDrvGen on one of the
Fish disks although the number escapes me at present).  This program was
written to the V1.2 printer driver standard; I had hoped that the author
would upgrade it to the V1.3 standard.  You should be able to use this
tool to modify your Okidata_293I driver.

	A printer driver generator for the graphics side is much more
difficult if not near impossible.  Each different printer has so many
quirks when it comes to the graphics side that the possibilities are
almost endless.  I know that an 8-pin non-color graphics generator is
possible (I've seen it, but not for the Amiga), but it is very limited
in its scope.

	Commodore-Amiga makes available a document on how to write your
own printer driver along with sample source code.  Contact our CATS dept.
at (215) 431-9180 for more info (I believe that you need to be either a
certified or commercial developer to get this, but I'm not sure).

	Good luck.

	Regards, David Berezowski

kms@ecsvax.UUCP (Ken Steele) (05/13/89)

In article <6850@cbmvax.UUCP>, daveb@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Berezowski) writes:
> In article <6984@ecsvax.UUCP> kms@ecsvax.UUCP (Ken Steele) writes:
> >

> >My wish for 1.4 (and 1.3 and 1.2) is for C-A to provide a utility
> >that will allow the user to create his/her own printer driver.
> >

> 	A printer driver generator can be written to support the text mode
> of a printer (in fact there is such a beast called PrtDrvGen on one of the
> Fish disks although the number escapes me at present).  This program was
> written to the V1.2 printer driver standard; I had hoped that the author
> would upgrade it to the V1.3 standard.  You should be able to use this
> tool to modify your Okidata_293I driver.

I did use PDG.  It was written in Modula-2 by a Danish CS student,
and so I was forced to consult RKM and make translation/guesses
at a foreign CS student's attempts to describe something in
English.  This is not the way you encourage people to rush out
and buy hardware.

> 	A printer driver generator for the graphics side is much more
> difficult if not near impossible.  Each different printer has so many
> quirks when it comes to the graphics side that the possibilities are
> almost endless.  I know that an 8-pin non-color graphics generator is
> possible (I've seen it, but not for the Amiga), but it is very limited
> in its scope.

And this is where I gave up with PDG.  I couldn't tell whether I
had missed something because of his unfamiliarity with English,
my unfamiliarity with CS-dept terminology, or my unfamiliarty
with Modula-2, or whatever.

> 	Commodore-Amiga makes available a document on how to write your
> own printer driver along with sample source code.  Contact our CATS dept.
> at (215) 431-9180 for more info (I believe that you need to be either a
> certified or commercial developer to get this, but I'm not sure).

Gosh (faint hearts tread no further :-)) David this is where I
lose my cookies.  I have an epson-of-the-week.  The official
approach of CBM is to say (both to developers and users) that
CBM provides drivers (in /devs).  But, in practice, there seems
to be no stated decision rule for either what should or
should not be supported.  In practice, there is no official
policy for updating/enlarging the printer driver selection
(with the exception of new OS versions).  New OS versions appear
every 1.3 years or so, but printers change at a faster rate.

And the upshot is that, if I am a registered developer, I
might get a code-example to write a driver.  And CBM expects
to lure in John Q. Blue and John Q. Apple with the promise
of the thrill of writing a printer driver!!!! (faint hearts
take a sip of chamomille tea, it is all over, wheww :-))

> 	Good luck.
>
> 	Regards, David Berezowski

Thanks for the reply

--
Ken Steele   Dept. of Psychology    kms@ecsvax.[bitnet | UUCP]
             Mars Hill College
             Mars Hill, NC 28754

daveb@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Berezowski) (05/13/89)

	Ken, we do the best we can with the limited resources we have
[ one person :^( ].  When I wrote the 1.3 drivers I contacted ALL the
major printer manufacturers and got their latest printers.  I am also
on their list of 'preferred developers' so I get advanced information
on their products and will put in support for printers/options that
the end-user may not even be aware about.  However, new printers do
come out faster than our O/S releases and yes it is hard to keep up.

	I wish I had the resources to write a printer driver generator
(for the text commands at least) but alas I do not.  If you are a developer
then you can get the EpsonX and EpsonQ source code as part of the
"How to Write a Printer Driver' package.  I suspect that in your case its
simply a matter of adding/changing one (or two) escape sequences and re-compiling.

	Perhaps some kind sole will take the lead from the V1.2 printer
driver generator and re-code it in 'C' and in English, and put it on
the public domain Fish disks.  If anyone wants to take this on, I'd be
happy to work with them for the benefit of the Amiga community.

	I do sympathize with you and wish I could help more.  Hey,
we're REAL busy guys! :^)  Good luck!

	If there is any specific feature you feel is missing from any of
our supported drivers, please email me the specifics and I'll look at it
for the V1.4 release.

	Regards, David Berezowski

In article <6863@cbmvax.UUCP> daveb@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Berezowski) writes:

>	If there is any specific feature you feel is missing from any of
>our supported drivers, please email me the specifics and I'll look at it
>for the V1.4 release.
>
>	Regards, David Berezowski

Dave,
   Something that is very much missing is unsupported feature
   emulation. If a particular printer does not support a feature,
   say leftmargin set, then the driver should emulate that feature.
   Since the drives don't do this, it would be silly for a program
   to use any of these features that might not work.
   Doing this would of course make the "generic" printer driver
   one of the hardest. It could then be simplified for
   smart printers by removeing the emulation stuff.

   Another nice thing would be a "preview" driver, which would support
   text and graphics features in a window on screen.

   Oh, I think youall have done a very good job with the 1.3 drivers!
This is an example of a short .signature   jap@frith.cl.msu.edu

kms@ecsvax.UUCP (Ken Steele) (05/14/89)

In article <6863@cbmvax.UUCP>, daveb@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Berezowski) writes:

> 	I wish I had the resources to write a printer driver generator
> (for the text commands at least) but alas I do not.
>
> 	Perhaps some kind sole will take the lead from the V1.2 printer
> driver generator and re-code it in 'C' and in English, and put it on
> the public domain Fish disks.  If anyone wants to take this on, I'd be
> happy to work with them for the benefit of the Amiga community.

A sole soul on printer driver duty.  I sympathize very seriously.

If a wizard would agree to try it, for it is beyond my ken ;-),
with your help, then I would agree to serve as a testing
coordinator; and find the people, send out the program, collect
complaints, organize them, etc.  So that hassle wouldn't be
on your back.

--

jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) (05/14/89)

In article <47xA02P525zb01@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> dwl10@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Dave Lowrey) writes:
>>My wish for 1.4 (and 1.3 and 1.2) is for C-A to provide a utility
>>that will allow the user to create his/her own printer driver.
>>
>Fish Disk #60 has a program called PrtDrvGen. It will do exactly what
>you have asked for.

I agree, if you make it: "will probably do everything you need".

Before I finally found a driver for DEC's LA50, I tried to build one using
PrtDrvGen 2.3 from Amicus disk #22.  I typed in all the specs for the escape
sequences, and then found that there was no way to tell the program how to do
sixel graphics.  There were options for horizontal pixels versus vertical
pixels, and how many pixels per character, but the killer was in specifying
what to do with the rest of the bits in the byte.  PrtDrvGen gave me 4 options:
  bits + 0	use 6 LSBs, remaining high bits off
  bits + 0xC0	use 6 LSBs, remaining high bits on
  bits*4 + 0	use 6 MSBs, remaining low bits off
  bits*4 + 3	use 6 MSBs, remaining low bits on
Sixel graphics require bits+63, which was not one of the options.  (I didn't
send in the shareware fee to get sources to PrtDrvGen since I knew the driver
I needed was out there, somewhere.) I eventually found an LA50 driver on a
disk from Sacramento, they may have gotten it from CompuServe.

Other than not handling one incompatible printer, it looked like a very
good program.
--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: JMS@F74.TYMNET.COM or jms@tymix.tymnet.com
McDonnell Douglas FSCO  | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms

doug@xdos.UUCP (Doug Merritt) (05/14/89)

In article <6863@cbmvax.UUCP> daveb@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Berezowski) writes:
>	Perhaps some kind sole will take the lead from the V1.2 printer
                          ^^^^
>driver generator and re-code it in 'C' and in English, and put it on

If this is a reference to Fred Fish, I think he's probably busy enough
already. Yuk, yuk. Urk. Ok, ok...a bad pun. Sorry.

This is a good point, though. It seems like a good thing for CBM to
support, in an ideal world. What are the chances of doing so in 1.4?
I would think that it would be worthwhile to cut the list of CBM
supported printers drastically, and instead put the effort into providing
open ended support via that CBM-supported printer driver generator.

There's always going to be more printers than you can directly support,
so this would be the technically "right" way to do it.
	Doug
--
Doug Merritt		{pyramid,apple}!xdos!doug	doug@xdos.com
Member, Crusaders for a Better Tomorrow		Professional Wildeyed Visionary

"Of course, I'm no rocket scientist" -- Randell Jesup, Capt. Boinger Corps