[comp.sys.amiga] SHAR info needed ...

jkerr@pnet51.cts.com (Jason Kerr) (05/13/89)

Can someone/anyone please e-mail me the spec for SHAR, and SH?
Pleasepleaseplease?

I don't have access to a UNIX machine, so I'm left to
un-SHARing things on my AMIGA.  I've been unsing the version off of
FredFishDisk #92, but the thing GURUs all the **** time! (I figured out
that in order to work all the comment lines had to be removed, but now
I've discovered that even this won't make it work consistently...)

Basically, I need a
description of the specs for SHAR, SH, and SED, so I can attempt to write
my own version.  Lines like the following confuse me a little, so I need a
bit of help :
     sed 's/^X//' << \SHAR_EOF > virusx.zuu

(I can puzzle out some of it, like 's/^X//' must mean substitute "^X" with
"", but the redirection stuff I've not dealt with much.)

Thanks in advance.
Jason Kerr

UUCP: {amdahl!bungia, uunet!rosevax, chinet, killer}!orbit!pnet51!jkerr
ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!jkerr@nosc.mil
INET: jkerr@pnet51.cts.com

In <1145@orbit.UUCP>, jkerr@pnet51.cts.com (Jason Kerr) writes:
>Basically, I need a
>description of the specs for SHAR, SH, and SED, so I can attempt to write
>my own version.  Lines like the following confuse me a little, so I need a
>bit of help :
>     sed 's/^X//' << \SHAR_EOF > virusx.zuu
>
>(I can puzzle out some of it, like 's/^X//' must mean substitute "^X" with
>"", but the redirection stuff I've not dealt with much.)

     sed 's/^X//' << \SHAR_EOF > virusx.zuu

Substitute (s), any 'X' at beginning of a line (^X) with nothing (//). Take
input from this file until you see a 'SHAR_EOF'. Output result to a file called
virusx.zuu

-larry

--
  - Don't tell me what kind of a day to have! -
|   //   Larry Phillips                                                |

page%swap@Sun.COM (Bob Page) (05/15/89)

There is no standard format, or spec for shar files.  It's just a
bunch of commands that the unix bourne shell can execute (or cause to
be executed).

Rather than re-inventing the wheel, use the unshar program recently
posted to comp.sources.amiga .. works great.

If you don't have it for some reason, send mail to
archive-server@kilowatt.sun.com with this as the body of the message:
send unix/unshar.1
of course you can't unshar this either, so you'll have to edit the shar
file by hand, but all you really need to do is strip the X from the
beginning of each line and then uudecode the file.

..bob