[comp.sys.amiga] Ed - feature or bug?

bartonr@psu-cs.cs.pdx.edu (Amiga 1000) (04/23/89)

  I don't know whether this qualifies as a feature or a bug, but the
Workbench 1.3 version of Ed will clear the 's' bit when you edit and
then save a script file.  Does this mean Ed is getting bored editing
script files and wants to move on to something more challenging?

fgd3@jc3b21.UUCP (Fabbian G. Dufoe) (04/25/89)

From article <1069@psueea.UUCP>, by bartonr@psu-cs.cs.pdx.edu (Amiga 1000):

>   I don't know whether this qualifies as a feature or a bug, but the
> Workbench 1.3 version of Ed will clear the 's' bit when you edit and
> then save a script file.  Does this mean Ed is getting bored editing
> script files and wants to move on to something more challenging?

     I had a long talk with Ed just the other day about this very subject.
He did, indeed, express a desire to work on something more challenging than
script files.  He says they're boring because nobody formats them.
Everything starts in the first column.  There is no right margin.  Lines
have random lengths, and the whole thing isn't very satisfying from an
asthetic point of view.  Ed wants to work on text where the format is
asthetically pleasing.  He asserts that he is a true WYSISYG program and he
should be given assignments worthy of his capabilities.  In his own words,
"You type a letter, you get a letter.  You type a space, you get a space.
How could you be more WYSIWYG than that?"

--Fabbian Dufoe
  350 Ling-A-Mor Terrace South
  St. Petersburg, Florida  33705
  813-823-2350

UUCP: ...uunet!pdn!jc3b21!fgd3

bdiscoe@tybalt.caltech.edu (Ben W. Discoe) (04/25/89)

In article <1069@psueea.UUCP> bartonr@psu-cs.cs.pdx.edu (Amiga 1000) writes:

>  I don't know whether this qualifies as a feature or a bug, but the
>Workbench 1.3 version of Ed will clear the 's' bit when you edit and
>then save a script file.  Does this mean Ed is getting bored editing
>script files and wants to move on to something more challenging?

IS THIS A JOKE???!!  I thought the entire Amiga community ditched Ed YEARS
AGO.  Anyone who edits Anything has a PD or commercial editor by now.
Come on, Ed wouldn't strain the resources of a VIC-20, and it doesn't
deserve to run on an Amiga.  Ed is just another embarrassment like NotePad
which should be deleted the moment you get your computer.

"I may be immature, opinionated, and rude, but I'm right." - myself

dnye@bbn.com (David Nye) (04/27/89)

In article <10472@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> bdiscoe@tybalt.caltech.edu.UUCP (Ben W. Discoe) writes:
>In article <1069@psueea.UUCP> bartonr@psu-cs.cs.pdx.edu (Amiga 1000) writes:
>>
>>  I don't know whether this qualifies as a feature or a bug, but the
>>Workbench 1.3 version of Ed will clear the 's' bit when you edit and
>>then save a script file.  Does this mean Ed is getting bored editing
>>script files and wants to move on to something more challenging?
>
>IS THIS A JOKE???!!  I thought the entire Amiga community ditched Ed YEARS
>AGO.  Anyone who edits Anything has a PD or commercial editor by now.
>Come on, Ed wouldn't strain the resources of a VIC-20, and it doesn't
>deserve to run on an Amiga.  Ed is just another embarrassment like NotePad
>which should be deleted the moment you get your computer.

>"I may be immature, opinionated, and rude, but I'm right." - myself

I think ED is great for the quick and dirty kind of edits to scripts.  It is a
lot better than firing up that monsterous heap commercial editor for that quick
stuff.  It is like pounding in a nail with the battleship IOWA. (God Save the
NAVY) ;^>

Dave Nye
=     //     Dave Nye -- President, Southern New Hampshire AMIGA Users Group  =
=    //      dnye@bbn.com    dnye%bbn.com@relay.cs.net  ...!harvard!bbn!dnye  =
= \\//       BBN, Inc., Cambridge, Mass., My Employers computer, MY opinion.. =

22659883%WSUVM1.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Martin J. Schmidt) (04/27/89)

Ed is quick, reliable, and most importantly, Ed is HONEST.
       ("If I had fast enough hardware, I'd use Notepad!")

utoddl@ecsvax.UUCP (Todd M. Lewis) (04/28/89)

In article <10472@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu>, bdiscoe@tybalt.caltech.edu (Ben W. Discoe) writes:
> IS THIS A JOKE???!!  I thought the entire Amiga community ditched Ed YEARS
> AGO.  Anyone who edits Anything has a PD or commercial editor by now.
> Come on, Ed wouldn't strain the resources of a VIC-20, and it doesn't
> deserve to run on an Amiga.  Ed is just another embarrassment like NotePad
> which should be deleted the moment you get your computer.

I said the same thing for a couple of years.  The only problem was
every now and then I want to do something to a file that I
just can't seem to do with other editors.  Except Edit.
Gosh.  I never thought I'd stick up for Ed, but it has its uses.
  _____
    |      Todd M. Lewis            Disclaimer: If you want my employer's
    ||\/|  utoddl@ecsvax.uncecs.edu             ideas, you'll have to
    ||  ||                                      _buy_ them.
     |  ||
         |___   (Never write a program bigger than your screen.)

ee@atbull.UUCP (Erwin Eder ) (05/16/89)

In article <14064@louie.udel.EDU> 22659883%WSUVM1.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Martin J. Schmidt) writes:
J. Schmidt>Ed is quick, reliable, and most importantly, Ed is HONEST.
J. Schmidt>       ("If I had fast enough hardware, I'd use Notepad!")
	What version of ed do you use and where did you get it from ??
	My version is neither quick nor reliable ( nor anything :-)
						Erwin
--
|  /      \  <-- this is |  and this    uunet!mcvax!tuvie!atbull!ee   |