[comp.sys.amiga] Warning: New User Question

clp@altos86.UUCP (Chuck L. Peterson) (05/08/89)

Okay, I finally found out how to turn on flicker -- by choosing
interlace in the preference window, then rebooting.  Boy, do I get
flicker!  Are these new Agnus chips supposed to fix this problem?
Is it me, or is there something inherently wrong with a product
requiring the purchace of an expensive 3rd party device (flicker fixer)
to give acceptible output?  The technology is obviously there,
so what is the problem with the Amiga Hardware Dudes using it?

Chuck L. Peterson
 ...!sun!altos86!clp

king@dciem.dciem.dnd.ca (Stephen King) (05/16/89)

In article <1082@altos86.UUCP> clp@altos86.UUCP (Chuck L. Peterson) writes:
>flicker!  Are these new Agnus chips supposed to fix this problem?

As reported, the new Agnus will offer flicker-free hi-res mode in 4
colours, but you will need a multisync monitor to make use of it.

>Is it me, or is there something inherently wrong with a product
>requiring the purchace of an expensive 3rd party device (flicker fixer)
>to give acceptible output?  The technology is obviously there,
>so what is the problem with the Amiga Hardware Dudes using it?

It is not you, nor is there anything wrong with the product. The
shortfalling exists with our television standard, NTSC, which specifies
30Hz interlaced frames (60Hz fields). The Amiga was designed to be TV
compatible; this is one of the reasons it is so popular. Things will not
get better with HDTV, either, as this (proposed or whatever) standard is
also interlaced.

--
  << ... if I could walk that way I wouldn't need the talcum powder !!! >>
 Opinions courtesy of:    ...!utzoo!dretor!king     king@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca

dougp@sbphy.ucsb.edu (05/16/89)

In article <1082@altos86.UUCP>, clp@altos86.UUCP (Chuck L. Peterson) writes...

>Okay, I finally found out how to turn on flicker -- by choosing
>interlace in the preference window, then rebooting.  Boy, do I get
>flicker!  Are these new Agnus chips supposed to fix this problem?
No, the new agnus chip only allows you to use 1 meg of chip ram.
>Is it me, or is there something inherently wrong with a product
>requiring the purchace of an expensive 3rd party device (flicker fixer)
There is nothing inherently wrong with the Amiga. When the Amiga was
designed, they decided to use the NTSC brodcast standard. In matching
that standard, they did a much better job than any other home computer
that came before it (Apple II, Atari 800, Commodore 64, or Timex
Sinclare 1000 to name a few names). For computer use, there is quite
a bit wrong with the NTSC brodcast standard. Composit video, which is
the NTSC standard output on the back of the A1000, limits the resolution
of picture, and muddies the colors (this is where the joke about the
initials comes from "Never The Same Color"). The A1000 gets arround
this problem by using the RGB output. The amiga still has to contend
with the scaning rate and interlaceing scheme of NTSC. Interlece was
a scheme that the designers of television came up with to double the
resolution of television without sending more information. They got
away with this because in most pictures, the brightness does not
change drasticly between scan lines. On a computer it is all too easy
to create images with high contrast between scan lines. To get arround
this problem, a non interlaced mode was provided. by cutting the number
of scan lines in half, every scan line can be refreshed 60 times a
second instead of 30 times a second, so even when there is a high
contrast between scan lines it does not flicker. Anyway, I don't
think multi-sync monitors were available when the Amigas custom chips
were designed.

>Chuck L. Peterson
> ...!sun!altos86!clp

Douglas Peale

bob@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (robert s. richardson) (05/16/89)

In article <1082@altos86.UUCP> clp@altos86.UUCP (Chuck L. Peterson) writes:
>Okay, I finally found out how to turn on flicker -- by choosing
>interlace in the preference window, then rebooting.  Boy, do I get
>flicker!  Are these new Agnus chips supposed to fix this problem?
>Is it me, or is there something inherently wrong with a product
>requiring the purchace of an expensive 3rd party device (flicker fixer)
>to give acceptible output?  The technology is obviously there,
>so what is the problem with the Amiga Hardware Dudes using it?
>
>Chuck L. Peterson
> ...!sun!altos86!clp

To understand the "problem" of interlace it is necessary to look at
the history of the Amiga.  The original chipset was designed with
graphics applications in mind, but was optimized for rendering to
NTSC video for such applications as videogames.  NTSC video is
interlaced.  It is the very limitation business and CAD users
point out in the Amiga (flicker) that makes it the popular machine
suitable for video work without extensive modification.  So you
can look at it two ways:

1) Interlace flicker is what keeps the Amiga out of the
   business marketplace.  (At least one of the reasons)

	or

2) NTSC compatibility is what brought the Amiga into business
   because of its usefulness in desktop presentations.

And remember, the price of the FlickerFixer is less than that
of a PC VGA card and less than that of many EGA cards.  In the PC
world buying a video card is a practical necessity, while it is
just another option in the Amiga world, depending on your
own preference and intended application.

Question:  Can someone fill me in on the layout of VGA?  Does it
use a blitter?  I've seem some impressive graphics done of VGA,
but the Amiga still seems to outstrip even a 386 in the area of
real-time animation and sound capabilities.  (Useful for
presentation as well as games).  What about the TARGA board, and
how does one get that board to work in an Amiga 2000?

And to Commodore 1.4 people:  Is it conceivable to utilize the
blitter as a math coprocessor with the proper code?  Or is the
68000 faster in such areas?  I know some simple binary operations
could probably be implemented, but what about floating point?

Thanks any and all.
| Bob Richardson     (or, for you UNIX buffs: bob@jacobs.cs.orst.edu) |
| 220 NW 21st, Corvallis, OR 97330    503-758-5018    "We Never Open" |
| PLEASE NOTE NEW NETWORK NAME ABOVE (was richarr@nikola). MAIL TO    |
| OLD ACCOUNT MAY NOT REACH ME. THANK YOU.                            |

phil@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (05/16/89)

Flicker is an inherint characteristic of the fact that the real frame rate
of standard television is about 30 hz in (North and South) American and Japan
and is 25 hz in the rest of the world.  Interlacing scans only half the
lines the first time through, and the rest the next time.  So although the
sweep occurs 50 or 60 times a second, any ONE LINE is only updated half as
often.

The human eye notices the flicker if the brightness is different.  The rods
are sensitive to it, but the cones are much less so.  There are combinations
of colors that dramatically reduce flicker.  I use a yellow on blue color
combination that has relatively little flicker.  Because of the low contrast,
it is a little harder to read though.

Broadcast television does not suffer from flicker because the change from
one line (scanned in one cycle) to the next (scanned in the other cycle)
is very little.

Try the following with your Amiga.  Find a program (such as MicroEmacs) that
creates its own screen in interlace mode.  Now open this screen up overtop
a regular screen, and pull it down to the bottom.  The CRT scanning rate is
in interlaced mode, but the data on the regular screen is DUPLICATED for every
line pair.  You will see that there is much less flicker, but there is some
apparent JITTER.  This is what television is really like, but it also has
smooth gradations of intensity so even the jitter is not there.

High Definition Television, unfortunately, is continuing with the interlace
system at about the same frame rate.  Some TV sets do "super scanning" by
storing the picture in a frame buffer as received, and scanning EVERY line
out to the CRT at 60 hz or higher.  If you are lucky enough to have one of
these expensive units, you don't need a flicker fixer.  The prices will come
down some day.