[comp.sys.amiga] Wren III/can't format past Cyl 967

johnj@osiris.UUCP (John Johnston) (05/15/89)

	I *KNOW* someone else was just asking this, but since I hadn't
even gotten the Amy yet, I didn't pay attention to it 'till now:

	I have an A2000/2090A and CDC WrenIII drive. I can't seem to
format past cyl 967. When I prepped it I told it I have:
9 heads
1024 Cyl
35 tracks/cyl
precomp = 1024

	I have it partitioned in a couple of partitions (mostly playing
around, at present), with a small 1.5M boot partition. The mountlist
entry for the partition that won't format looks like:

FOO:	Device = hddisk.sys
	Unit = 3
	Flags = 0
	Surfaces = 9
	BlocksPerTrack = 35
	Reserved = 2
	Interleave = 0
	LowCyl = 960; HighCyl = 1023
	Buffers = 30
	BufMemType = 0
#

	Another thing that is confusing me: How do I set up FFS filesystems ?
My manual says nothing about FFS, the 2090A manuals say nothing, etc. I just
bought the Amy, and am having no trouble autobooting, so I must be running
a semi-new version of everything, I would think. (My workbench seems to
say it is V1.2 or something like that.)

Any other advice would be appreciated, as far as how to set up Mr. Disk drive,
etc, etc.

--mjr();
mjr@welch.jhu.edu

In article <2901@osiris.UUCP> mjr@welch.jhu.edu writes:
>	I have an A2000/2090A and CDC WrenIII drive. I can't seem to
>format past cyl 967. When I prepped it I told it I have:
>9 heads
>1024 Cyl
>35 tracks/cyl
>precomp = 1024

	The A2090(a) only supports 8 heads.  You can use a 9-head or more
drive, but you can't put any data on those heads.  Tell it you have 8 heads.

>	Another thing that is confusing me: How do I set up FFS filesystems ?
>My manual says nothing about FFS, the 2090A manuals say nothing, etc. I just
>bought the Amy, and am having no trouble autobooting, so I must be running
>a semi-new version of everything, I would think. (My workbench seems to
>say it is V1.2 or something like that.)

	FFS is part of Workbench 1.3, and is explained in the 1.3 manual.

--
Randell Jesup, Commodore Engineering {uunet|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!jesup

I said:
>	The A2090(a) only supports 8 heads.  You can use a 9-head or more
>drive, but you can't put any data on those heads.  Tell it you have 8 heads.

I have been informed it is a SCSI drive (not mentioned in the posting).  For
a SCSI drive, there is no head limitation, only for ST-506.

I believe CDC Wren's come in both flavors.

--
Randell Jesup, Commodore Engineering {uunet|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!jesup