[comp.sys.amiga] Dungeon Master Maps

kelso@mimsy.UUCP (Stephen Kelley) (05/13/89)

Do to popular demand I'm posting Amiga version (iff) maps for
Dungeon Master to rec.games.misc. I made two zuu files (lev 1-7)
& (lev 8-14).  Although it looks like you should join the uu's
together, don't. It really is 2 seperate archives.

Please Note: I got these from a friend off people link (I think)
so I take no credit for them. Note that in using some of them
I found a couple of "hidden" rooms to be missing - so "listen"
& use the "look through walls" spell when in doubt.

Enjoy & thank the author - I believe his name is on the maps.

--
Real:	Stephen Kelley, Welch Med. Lib., Johns Hopkins Univ.
Internet: stevek@welch.jhu.edu

doug@xdos.UUCP (Doug Merritt) (05/13/89)

In article <17487@mimsy.UUCP> kelso@mimsy.UUCP (Stephen Kelley) writes:
>Do to popular demand I'm posting Amiga version (iff) maps for
>Dungeon Master to rec.games.misc. I made two zuu files (lev 1-7)
>Enjoy & thank the author - I believe his name is on the maps.

If these are Chuck McManis' maps, then they are great! I've been
(on and off) hooked on D&D-type computer adventure games for over
a decade, and the thing I always hated the most was tedious map-making.
The program knows where everything is, why should I have to use paper???

I suppose all these game authors think that the real thrill in our
secret heart of hearts is cartography. WRONGO, parchment-breath!

So when Chuck gave me his beautifully detailed maps, *that's* when I
went out and bought Dungeon Master. Has made it fun to play.

>I found a couple of "hidden" rooms to be missing - so "listen"
>& use the "look through walls" spell when in doubt.

Thanks, I'd forgotten about that.
	Doug
--
Doug Merritt		{pyramid,apple}!xdos!doug	doug@xdos.com
Member, Crusaders for a Better Tomorrow		Professional Wildeyed Visionary

"Of course, I'm no rocket scientist" -- Randell Jesup, Capt. Boinger Corps

mcneely@PEDEV.Columbia.NCR.COM (Alan McNeely) (05/16/89)

In article <288@xdos.UUCP> doug@xdos.UUCP (Doug Merritt) writes:

>If these are Chuck McManis' maps, then they are great! I've been
>(on and off) hooked on D&D-type computer adventure games for over
>a decade, and the thing I always hated the most was tedious map-making.
>The program knows where everything is, why should I have to use paper???
>
>I suppose all these game authors think that the real thrill in our
>secret heart of hearts is cartography. WRONGO, parchment-breath!

There are many of us who think making the maps is a significant part of
the fun.  Indeed,  one of my friends even says creating a map is his
favorite part of the game.  Game authors,  I guess you're not too
suprised that you can't please everybody anytime.

Alan McNeely

In article <288@xdos.UUCP> doug@xdos.UUCP (Doug Merritt) writes:
->If these are Chuck McManis' maps, then they are great! I've been
->(on and off) hooked on D&D-type computer adventure games for over
->a decade, and the thing I always hated the most was tedious map-making.
->The program knows where everything is, why should I have to use paper???

They aren't my maps, (thanks for the Kudos though) and in looking through
them the author has missed a quite a few places, altough nothing that you
really need to win the game.

->I suppose all these game authors think that the real thrill in our
->secret heart of hearts is cartography. WRONGO, parchment-breath!

->So when Chuck gave me his beautifully detailed maps, *that's* when I
->went out and bought Dungeon Master. Has made it fun to play.

And you can get your own copy, just $5. See my previous message.

--Chuck McManis
"A most excellent barbarian ... Genghis Kahn!"

doug@xdos.UUCP (Doug Merritt) (05/17/89)

In article <2515@PEDEV.Columbia.NCR.COM> mcneely@PEDEV.Columbia.NCR.COM (Alan McNeely) writes:
>There are many of us who think making the maps is a significant part of
>the fun.  Indeed,  one of my friends even says creating a map is his
>favorite part of the game.  Game authors,  I guess you're not too
>suprised that you can't please everybody anytime.

That's interesting. Well, still, if making maps is part of
the game, then they may as well provide formal support for
mapping, eh?

Maybe providing a drawing program is too much, but then at LEAST
they should allow multitasking so that we could bring up a drawing
program.

I don't believe in paper. Trouble is, computers aren't yet a good
substitute. If you ask me, though, 80% of the reason is because s/w
developers still *expect* you to use paper in conjunction with the s/w.

I still can't believe that cut/paste isn't built-in to Intuition.
The version of it available on the Sun is pretty minimal, but hard
to live without once you get used to it.
	Doug