[comp.sys.amiga] 4-way player adaptor

nealet@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Neale Type) (05/10/89)

Dear All, Does anyone know the pinouts for the 4-way player adaptor for
the serial port, as there about 5(english pounds) to buy, and i bet alot
cheaper to make one yourself...

thanx for any info
neale

Neale Type , Computing Service      ///   | "May the Balrog find you tasty."
University of Sussex, Falmer    \\\///    |     nealet @ syma.sussex.ac.uk
England.   BN1 9QH               \X//     |      ccfe7 @ cluster.sussex.ac.uk

dzenc@hermes.ai.mit.edu (Daniel Zenchelsky) (05/13/89)

In article <952@syma.sussex.ac.uk> nealet@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Neale Type) writes:
>Dear All, Does anyone know the pinouts for the 4-way player adaptor for
>the serial port, as there about 5(english pounds) to buy, and i bet alot
>cheaper to make one yourself...

Sure, here you go:

Parallel Connector    Game connector 1          Game connector 2
------------------    ----------------          ----------------
  Pin 25 (GND)                    8     and             8
  Pin 2  (UP)                                           1
  Pin 3  (DOWN)                                         2
  Pin 4  (LEFT)                                         3
  Pin 5  (RIGHT)                                        4
  Pin 13 (FIRE)                                         6
  Pin 6  (UP)                     1
  Pin 7  (DOWN)                   2
  Pin 8  (LEFT)                   3
  Pin 9  (RIGHT)                  4
  Pin 11 (FIRE)                   6
------------------    ----------------          ------------------

WARNING!!: Do NOT connect anything to pin #14 on the parallel connector.
           Thats the +5 volts from the Amiga, and is one of the few pins
           that can get you into BIG trouble!!

This is for the A500/2000 not the 1000 (I think, I haven't actually built it.)

-Dan

|  ______                                                   |
| ||   |o|  Daniel Zenchelsky  --  dzenc@hermes.ai.mit.edu  |
| ||___| |                                                  |
| |   _  |  "Yes, but every time I try to see things your   |
| \_[]_|_|   way, I get a headache."                        |

rjm10838@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (05/17/89)

I recently finished a four player adapter for my 1000, and I agree with
the previous response's pinouts. As far as the ground pins on the parallel port
are concerned, using pin 25 is fine on the 500/2000, but on the 1000, it is
the RESET signal. You can connect the ground wires to any of pins 14-22 on
the 1000, and any of 17-25 on the 500/2000. There are no other differences
between the two connectors (except of course for the DB25 gender).

Ron Menelli
rjm10838@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu