[comp.sys.amiga] Compilers: Lattice vs. Manx

mplevine@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Marshall P. Levine) (05/17/89)

I need to purchase a C compiler.  I have used Lattice 3.03 in the past, but
I am losing my access to it.  I hear that the newest versions of Lattice and
Manx are excellent.  However, I have heard reports of bugs in Lattice.  I am
looking for a compiler that will compile to assembly, profile my code, and
preferably have good debugging capabilities.  It would be nice to have a
322 byte source file compile into an executable file less than 12K (remember
Lattice 3.03?)  Which compiler should I get?  Rumor has it that Lattice 5.x
costs $500.  Price is a consideration.

If I get a C compiler that supports assembly, can I write assembly programs?
What about the .i files that come with assemblers?

I am also looking for a good PASCAL (contradiction?) compiler.  Does anyone
know if there are any bug-free PASCAL compilers on the amiga?

-- Marshall

kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) (05/18/89)

In article <8467@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> mplevine@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Marshall P. Levine) writes:

[...]
>I am also looking for a good PASCAL (contradiction?) compiler.  Does anyone
>know if there are any bug-free PASCAL compilers on the amiga?
>
>-- Marshall

The closest thing to a good native (generates code for execution under
AmigaDos) PASCAL compiler I've used is MetaComco Pascal. The latest
release almost works correctly :-( . It has problems treating dynamic
strings as arrays of char, a bug in copying 0 chars from a string of
length 0 (run-time termination), and string concatenation is EXTREMELY
slow. I can copy the strings to an array of char, concatenate them
myself & stick the result back in the original string MANY times faster
than MCC Pascal can.

Also I found that passing a set variable which was not declared
globally does not always work correctly.

Good news - they seemed to have fixed the incorrect offset calculations
when working with records.

       Kent Polk - Southwest Research Institute
 {cs.utexas.edu, gatech!petro sun!texsun}!swrinde!kent
              kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu
       "Anything worth doing is worth overdoing"