[comp.sys.amiga] Archiver

raz%kilowatt@Sun.COM (Steve -Raz- Berry) (05/18/89)

In article <105371@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> page@sun.UUCP (Bob Page) writes:
>thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) wrote:
>>Such postings are the "raison d'etre" of Usenet: education and communication.

I would have said it differently. More like "Sure, like what the &^*%k!"
 ;-)

Seriously, I really like the idea. Post away Larry.

>Oh, for those of you who use the kilowatt archive server - make sure
>you add a "path" line to your mail message, and make sure the address
>is relative to a known "domain" site (such as uunet.uu.net).  Saying
>"path host!user" or "path user@host.uucp" isn't good enough.  Poor Raz
>is going nutty dealing with the bazillions of bounced messages he's
>getting.

>..bob

What, me nutty?

Some of biggest offenders of bounced mail (don't worry, I know it's not
your fault) are the guys over by nluug.nl. You need to put a path somewhat
of the form:

path uunet.uu.net!mcvax!nluug.nl!machinename!username

This works a lot better for anyone downstream of nluug (what a name).

If you are having a problem, and no-one you know of can help you
send mail to archive-management@kilowatt.sun.com

There has also been a format change for indexes. There is only one
index as of today (5/17). If you ask for anything other than index
or index usenet, you'll just get a blank stare from the archiver.
This will change soon too, any mail with the word index will get the
main list (coming soon to a server near you).

Also there have been several people that have requested much more
that 100k of files in a single 'send' command. This is not good.
If the files exceed more than 100k break up the command to two send's.
the archiver just concatenates all the files on a single send line
and tries to mail it. This of course results in another form of bounced
mail for me (mail exceeds 100k cannot send etc...). I'm trying to
fix this also but there are only so many hours I can play with this
beast.
Steve -Raz- Berry      Disclaimer: I didn't do nutin!
UUCP: sun!kilowatt!raz                    ARPA: raz%kilowatt.EBay@sun.com
"Fate, it protects little children, old women, and ships named Enterprize"