[comp.sys.amiga] Dnet at 1200 baud

tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) (03/28/89)

[ This isn't a technical amiga discussion anymore.
  Followups to comp.sys.amiga. ]

In article <42700008@m.cs.uiuc.edu>, schwager@m.cs writes:
>Also, to use loadav Dnet expects a command called "la" on the Unix side.
>Where can I get this?

You're running an obsolete version of DNet.  The current version
(2.01) uses the more commonly found ``uptime'' command.  You can get
the current version via anonymous ftp from ucbvax.berkeley.edu
(/pub/amiga/dnet*) or xanth.cs.odu.edu (/amiga/dnet-2.01.tar.Z).

If you don't want to upgrade, you can use the ``uptime'' command in
place of ``la'' in sloadav.c in the UNIX code.  The old sloadav does
work with the uptime command.

However, you might not want to use sloadav.  It's setup to invoke
``uptime'' for *each* update.  This means that for every update, your
server process forks, invokes a shell which execs uptime.  This is a
lot of overhead for a loadav display.  A better solution would be
either to have sloadav read /dev/kmem directly (security problems
aside), or use RPC/XDR to get the data more efficiently (but not
everyone has rpc, though it is available).

I don't run loadav because of the amount of load it adds to the system...
(Seems self defeating...)

	...tad

--
Tad Guy         <tadguy@cs.odu.edu>     Old Dominion University, Norfolk, VA

kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) (05/18/89)

I use Dnet all the time at work with a hardwired 9600 baud connection -
no problems. I upgraded to release 2.xx a while back. Tonight I decided
to upgrade to Dnet 2.x (recently posted) at home on my A1000 using a
Hayes 1200.

Problem: Regardless of what I do to startup Dnet, the modem connection
is ALWAYS done at 300 baud. I have used all of the following plus their
permutations:

set preferences to 1200 or any other value
run dnet -b1200 -X -8
run dnet -b1200 -X
run dnet -X [-8] with prefs at 1200 baud

The funny thing is that the modem issues a CONNECT (confirms 300 baud),
but once connected will no longer respond to an '+++', and is
completely confused until I reset it.  Unix stty says I'm at 300 baud
also.

The Dnet startup window also gets all sorts of garbage - like line
noise, not incorrect char setting, and of course, fterm can't
connect.

The modem works fine with everything else, and in fact I can start up
the dnet connect window, startup Access!, establish the connection,
exit Access!, then go back to the dnet startup window & all is well at
that point.

Seems that the Hayes just doesn't like the Dnet startup window.

Also, I'm not sure about the Hayes status register 15, but at least
until the modems connect, status reg. 15 shows 1200 baud operation when
I'm initially talking to it from the Dnet startup window.

Thanks,

       Kent Polk - Southwest Research Institute
 {cs.utexas.edu, gatech!petro sun!texsun}!swrinde!kent
              kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu
       "Anything worth doing is worth overdoing"