[comp.sys.amiga] Re^2: Warning: New User Question

mlelstv@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Michael van Elst ) (05/17/89)

bob@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (robert s. richardson) writes:

>...  Is it conceivable to utilize the
>blitter as a math coprocessor with the proper code?  Or is the
>68000 faster in such areas?  I know some simple binary operations
>could probably be implemented, but what about floating point?

I checked some simple (fixpoint) operations:
In fact, the blitter may ADD and MULTIPLY faster than an 68000
if you choose a different number representation to avoid multiple
carry operations AND use large vectors (about >500 numbers).
BUT it's slower than an 68020 running at higher speeds !!

But there are some operations not intended for graphics, that can
make use of the blitter:
-- There is a Game-of-Life program that produces about 10 generations
   per second on a 640x200 frame.
-- A friend of mine rewrote the Lee-Algorithm (used for PCB routing) to
   work on the blitter. It's 14 times faster than a commercial router
   program.
				Michael van Elst

E-mail: UUCP: ...uunet!unido!fauern!immd4!mlelstv

golden@cps3xx.UUCP (golden james) (05/18/89)

In article <261@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de> mlelstv@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Michael van Elst ) writes:
>bob@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (robert s. richardson) writes:
>
>>...  Is it conceivable to utilize the
>>blitter as a math coprocessor with the proper code?  Or is the
>
>I checked some simple (fixpoint) operations:
>In fact, the blitter may ADD and MULTIPLY faster than an 68000
>if you choose a different number representation to avoid multiple

What about using the blitter to implement a neural network, since they
usually suffer from hundreds of simple integer calculations?  Could you
simply "blit" the network recursively to obtain a result?

Mike Golden
Physiology Undergraduate
Michigan State University