[comp.sys.amiga] Acorn Computers anyone?

shaver@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (Dave Shaver) (05/10/89)

(Sorry for the wide cross-posting; I'll keep it REAL short)

A few weeks ago I bought two Acorn computers.  This was the system the
BBC endorsed for their TV-based computer training show.  With each of
them I got two user's manuals.  The company which made these is long
gone, so I'm wondering if anyone out there has ANY information on these
machines (especially anyone in the UK.)  Schematics, technical
information, manuals, etc.  (Examples: information on Econet, disk
interface, co-processor "bus," or the printer interface.)  Please MAIL

/\  Dave Shaver  -=*=-  CS Systems Support Group, Iowa State University
\\  UUCP:  {hplabs!hp-lsd, uunet!umix!sharkey}!atanasoff!shaver
\/  Internet: shaver@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu

		...In stereo where available...

pl@etana.tut.fi (Lehtinen Pertti) (05/12/89)

From article <1078@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu>, by shaver@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (Dave Shaver):
> (Sorry for the wide cross-posting; I'll keep it REAL short)
>
> A few weeks ago I bought two Acorn computers.  This was the system the
> BBC endorsed for their TV-based computer training show.  With each of
> them I got two user's manuals.  The company which made these is long
> gone, so I'm wondering if anyone out there has ANY information on these

	eunet.micro.acorn is well and alive, as well as Acorn Computers
	which just released Unix based workstations.

	I think machines you have are from the earlier 6502-series.
	It is (I think, am I right?) essentially same as BBC-micro.

	Newer machines from Acorn ( Archimedes 410, 440 and R140 )
	are based on ARM-chipset (Acorn Risc Machine), which
	is very interesting processor.

	I plot some Mandelbrots with it, and basic program
	with soft-floats performed better than VAX compiled fortran.

					Pertti Lehtinen
					pl@tut.fi

pl@tut.fi				! -------------------------------- !
Pertti Lehtinen				!  Alone at the edge of the world  !
Tampere University of Technology	! -------------------------------- !
Software Systems Laboratory

bdc@tigger.planet.bt.co.uk (Brian Cantwell) (05/15/89)

From article <1078@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu>, by shaver@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (Dave Shaver):
> (Sorry for the wide cross-posting; I'll keep it REAL short)
>
> A few weeks ago I bought two Acorn computers.  This was the system the
> BBC endorsed for their TV-based computer training show.  With each of
> them I got two user's manuals.  The company which made these is long
> gone,
NOT SO, Acorn Computers Ltd. are still alive and kicking very well indeed.
They have very healthy profits in the UK and have just announced an upgrade
to the BEST RISC based personal computer: Archimedes 3000, 3-4Mips+, 1mbyte mem.
800k floppy etc for less than UK pounds 1000.00.
They are also still actively supporting the BBC B/Master computer in  the
educational & domestic market, with 3 full colour monthly magazines devoted
to their products.(Acorn User, A&B Computing , ?? third name slips my mind now)
contact Acorn Computers Ltd, Fulbourn Road Cherry Hinton, Cambridge CB1 4JN,
England for sales and support contacts.
There is also an active news feed in Europe for comp.sys.Acorn why not get
your administrator to check on getting a feed to USA?

I have no commercial connection with Acorn Computers Ltd, just dont like
to see a good company written off because they are not pushing in the US
marketplace, its very difficult for European firms to get started in the US
as you have very well established domestic suppliers- a lot of firms have been
burned in attempting to get started there.
If you need further info please post your specific requests and I will try adn
get the info/contacts you need.

bdc@tigger.planet.bt.co.uk (Brian Cantwell) (05/15/89)

From article <228@tigger.planet.bt.co.uk>, by bdc@tigger.planet.bt.co.uk (Brian Cantwell):
> From article <1078@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu>, by shaver@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (Dave Shaver):
> If you need further info please post your specific requests and I will try adn
> get the info/contacts you need.
Sorry I forgot my signoff , here it is in case you want to contact me via
mail Snail or tele.

B Cantwell-Wright Dept., RT5111,      |   Phone Ipswich (0473) 646774
British Telecom Research Labs,        | International + 44 473 646774
Martlesham Heath,                     | email bdc@planet.bt.co.uk
Ipswich, Suffolk, England, IP5 7RE    |

cssrajh@cc.brunel.ac.uk (Alan J Holmes) (05/18/89)

I have been trying to reply to the plea by shaver@... but am not able to
get through with the several attempts I have made.  What follows is the
effort together with the response.

Can anyone tell me what I have done wrong?

How does one get in touch with shaver@...?

H-E-L-P

Regards to all

Alan Holmes

Text starts here:-
From mmdf@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk Tue May 16 17:15:35 1989
Date:     Tue, 16 May 89 15:04:55 BST
From: NSFnet-Relay Memo Service (mmdf.5.86) <mmdf@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk>
Sender: mmdf@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Subject:  Failed mail  (msg.aa10020)
To: Alan.Holmes@brunel.ac.uk

    Your message could not be delivered to
'@sri-nic.arpa:shaver@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (host: sri-nic.arpa) (queue: satnet)' for the following
reason:  ' Local deliveries only, please!'

    Your message follows:

From: Alan J Holmes <Alan.Holmes@uk.ac.brunel>
Date: Tue, 16 May 89 13:14:42 BST
To: shaver@edu.iastate.cs.atanasoff
Subject: Re: Acorn Computers anyone?
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga,comp.sys.apple,comp.sys.atari.8bit,comp.sys.cbm,comp.sys.ibm.pc,comp.sys.m6809,comp.sys.misc,comp.sys.tandy

In article <1078@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu> you write:
>(Sorry for the wide cross-posting; I'll keep it REAL short)
>
>A few weeks ago I bought two Acorn computers.  This was the system the
>BBC endorsed for their TV-based computer training show.  With each of
>them I got two user's manuals.  The company which made these is long
>gone, so I'm wondering if anyone out there has ANY information on these

The beeb is alive and well, there is a great following for it in
the UK, lots of suppliers are supporting it and there is a lot of software
availlable together with manuals and lots of add-on goodies,  there are
also two magazines which support the beeb as well as several user clubs.

I am a user, but mainly for word-processing and other domestic problems,
if I can help with any specific questions, please mail me.

If you would like a copy of one or both of the magazines please mail
me an address to send it (them).

This is my third attempt to send you a message regarding the beeb,
I hope this one is successful!!

Regards

Alan Holmes

It obviously wasn't!!!!!