[comp.sys.amiga] <filename>.uu.Z

dwi@manta.NOSC.MIL (Steve Stamper) (05/16/89)

Does anyone know how to unpack a file with a .uu.Z extension.
I have tried uudecode (no begin line), zoo and sh but none
seem to recognize the file.

-Roger Uzun

eric@cbmvax.UUCP (Eric Cotton) (05/16/89)

In article <802@manta.NOSC.MIL> dwi@manta.nosc.mil.UUCP (Steve Stamper) writes:
>Does anyone know how to unpack a file with a .uu.Z extension.
>I have tried uudecode (no begin line), zoo and sh but none
>seem to recognize the file.

A .Z extension is the mark of a file that has been COMPRESSed - that is,
compressed by the UNIX command compress.  Try uncompress to restore the
file (a .uu file in this case).
--
Eric Cotton
Commodore-Amiga                                               (215) 431-9100

new@udel.EDU (Darren New) (05/16/89)

In article <802@manta.NOSC.MIL> dwi@manta.nosc.mil.UUCP (Steve Stamper) writes:
>Does anyone know how to unpack a file with a .uu.Z extension.

Files ending with .Z are (usually) files created by a program
called "compress". If you are running on Unix, try
"uncompress xxx.uu.Z;uudecode xxx.uu"
I don't know where to get uncompress for the Amiga.

In <802@manta.NOSC.MIL>, dwi@manta.NOSC.MIL (Steve Stamper) writes:
>Does anyone know how to unpack a file with a .uu.Z extension.
>I have tried uudecode (no begin line), zoo and sh but none
>seem to recognize the file.

uncompress (.Z), then uudecode (.uu).

-larry

--
  - Don't tell me what kind of a day to have! -
|   //   Larry Phillips                                                |

donw@zehntel.zehntel.com (Don White) (05/19/89)

In article <802@manta.NOSC.MIL> dwi@manta.nosc.mil.UUCP (Steve Stamper) writes:
>Does anyone know how to unpack a file with a .uu.Z extension.
>-Roger Uzun

     I am writing a document for the Amiga Unpacker Disk which will describe
  how and when to use each of the unarchiving/unshelling commands available.

     (For those of you that sent in 5$, I will send out your disks when I
      have that done in a day or two.)

     Generally, if you see Ms in the first column of the file most of the
  way through, it will need to be uudecoded first. If there are Xs in the first
  column, you will have to use shar first. If the filename ends in zoo,
  you will have to use the 'zoo -extract filename.zoo' command.

     You MUST remove the net news header (if your program won't do it for you).

     Hope this helps.

     Don White
     Amiga Unpacker Disk
     Box 271177 Concord, CA. 94527-1177