[comp.sys.amiga] Is ARP addbuffers broken?

ranjit@grad2.cis.upenn.edu (Ranjit Bhatnagar) (05/15/89)

I've noticed a strange phenomenon: when I ADDBUFFERS on df0: or df1:,
the buffers appear, but are never re-used unless I eject the disk:
that is, if I allocate 40 buffers, as soon as I've read 40 sectors
off the disk, I don't get any buffering any more except from those
40 sectors.

Sample session:
	command	<disk gronking?>
	------- ----------------
	date	<gronk gronk>
	date	<gronk gronk>
	addbuffers df0: 40	<gronk gronk>
	date	<gronk gronk>
	date	<blissful silence>
	ls c:	<gronk gronk GRONK gronk gronk gronk gronk>
	date	<blissful silence>
	echo	<gronk gronk>
	echo	<gronk gronk>

even though the echo command clearly should have been buffered, it
wasn't, apparently because the date and ls commands used up all the
buffers.  NOTE: I am not sure that my explanation is correct, but
the behavior in the above sample session has been observed consistently.
Similarly, when I use a vt100 script that contains a loop, the disk
runs continuously during the loop (if the loop crosses a sector
boundary) unless I add fresh new buffers just before starting the
script.

This seems to happen under arp 1.2 and 1.3, on a 1 meg, 2 drive
2000 and a 2.5 meg, 1 drive 1000.  I do not remember it happening
when I used the commodore commands.  Am I hallucinating?  Does this
happen to anyone else?  Why should ARP have anything to do with it?
(Maybe it doesn't.)  Should I give up and buy FACC?  (I probably
should anyway, now that I have 2.5 megs to burn.)

	 - - ranjit

"Trespassers w"   ranjit@eniac.seas.upenn.edu	mailrus!eecae!netnews!eniac!...
        Near the sides of tall buildings, how dare they kiss goodbye?
  Those buildings that saw the airplanes that kiss the air in their fantasy.

doug@xdos.UUCP (Doug Merritt) (05/15/89)

In article <11127@netnews.upenn.edu> ranjit@grad2.cis.upenn.edu.UUCP (Ranjit Bhatnagar) writes:
> [ deleted description of buffers being "sticky" under arp (not being reused) ]
>  Should I give up and buy FACC?

I use FACC, and had noticed a similar problem since I installed arp 1.3
(I hadn't been using arp previously). I haven't done thorough testing,
but it sure seems to behave the way you described.
	Doug
--
Doug Merritt		{pyramid,apple}!xdos!doug	doug@xdos.com
Member, Crusaders for a Better Tomorrow		Professional Wildeyed Visionary

dsuzuki@wheaton.UUCP (Daniel Suzuki) (05/19/89)

In article <291@xdos.UUCP> doug@xdos.UUCP (Doug Merritt) writes:
>In article <11127@netnews.upenn.edu> ranjit@grad2.cis.upenn.edu.UUCP (Ranjit Bhatnagar) writes:
>> [ deleted description of buffers being "sticky" under arp (not being reused) ]
>>  Should I give up and buy FACC?
>
>I use FACC, and had noticed a similar problem since I installed arp 1.3
>(I hadn't been using arp previously). I haven't done thorough testing,
>but it sure seems to behave the way you described.
>	Doug
>--
>Doug Merritt		{pyramid,apple}!xdos!doug	doug@xdos.com
>Member, Crusaders for a Better Tomorrow		Professional Wildeyed Visionary

I use FACCII also, and when I used the arpinstall program provided with the
arp package, I also had problems with my disk gronking forever just to load
a simple command from disk.  I figured it was just disk fragmentation and
did a COPY df0: TO df1: ALL QUIET --I suppose if you have B.A.D. or Tune-up
or something like that it probably works better, but I did the COPY method,
and at least I got rid of the gronking...

-Daniel
-dsuzuki@wheaton                       | UUCP:  {spl1|obdient}!wheaton!dsuzuki
"I've come to the conclusion that      |
 C and C++ don't support arrays..."    | USmail: CPO 2519 WHEATON COLLEGE
                        -johnh         |         Wheaton, IL 60187