[comp.sys.amiga] Fast CPUs

dwl10@uts.amdahl.com (Dave Lowrey) (05/14/89)

Help! My CPU is too fast! (Ain't life a bitch?)

This is a note to all game software developers. Please consider the
fact that some Amigas are running on 68010-20-30(?)s. If
you depend on instruction loops for timing, then the games run
much faster on these CPUs.

An example is Space Harrier. I wondered why I did (fairly) well when
I played it in the store, but couldn't get past the first level
when I played it at home on my  Amiga 2500.

A simple boot in 68000 mode solved my problem.

There are some games out there that are not affected by the speed
of the CPU, Crystal Hammer for instance. So, I know that it is
possible to do your timings by a CIA, raster interrupt, or whatever.

So, the next time you are developing a game, please be considerate
of us poor 2500 owners.  :-)

--
"What is another word  |  Dave Lowrey    | [The opinions expressed MAY be
 for 'Thesaurus'?"     |  Amdahl Corp.   | those of the author and are not
                       |  Houston, Texas | necessarily those of his
   Steven Wright       |  amdahl!dwl10   | employer]   (`nuff said!)

karl@sugar.hackercorp.com (Karl Lehenbauer) (05/19/89)

In article <3fhj02nI26Ew01@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com>, dwl10@uts.amdahl.com (Dave Lowrey) writes:
> Help! My CPU is too fast! (Ain't life a bitch?)

> An example is Space Harrier. I wondered why I did (fairly) well when
> I played it in the store, but couldn't get past the first level
> when I played it at home on my  Amiga 2500.

While Tracers uses the timer device for its timing (so it should run properly
on a 68020), it should not slow down as much on the '020 as it does on a 68000
when things get really, really fast.

I can't wait to try it and hopefully I'll be able to soon (2620 on order...)
--
-- uunet!sugar!karl  | "Nobody hipped me to that, dude." -- Pee Wee
-- Usenet BBS (713) 438-5018