[comp.sys.amiga] OK to put Amy on her side?

A1S@PSUVM.BITNET (Andrew Snyder) (05/09/89)

I was wondering if keeping my amiga 2000 vertical instead of horizontal would
cause any problems.  I realy need the desk space.

Andrew Snyder

A1S @ PSUVM                       Have a day.  :-|

kfellens@Intrepid.ece.ukans.edu (Keith Fellenstein) (05/10/89)

In article <85755A1S@PSUVM> A1S@PSUVM.BITNET (Andrew Snyder) writes:
>I was wondering if keeping my amiga 2000 vertical instead of horizontal would
>cause any problems.  I realy need the desk space.

Mine has been on her side for over a year now, with no obvious ill effects.
I did have some trouble with my adapted Starboard II, but solved those
problems by selling it to a 1000 owner in need of more memory.

jafo@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Sean Reifschneider) (05/11/89)

>I was wondering if keeping my amiga 2000 vertical instead of horizontal would
>cause any problems.  I realy need the desk space.

I have had mine on it's side for 3-4 months now.  Haven't had any problems,
either.  This discussion went around last summer (right before I got mine),
and I don't remember any problems that people pointed out in it.  I've got
a Seagate 277N hard drive in the set-up, too.

Sean

sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) (05/11/89)

In Message <85755A1S@PSUVM>, A1S@PSUVM.BITNET (Andrew Snyder) writes:

>I was wondering if keeping my amiga 2000 vertical instead of horizontal would
>cause any problems.  I realy need the desk space.

  Provided your hard drive (if it has one) doesnt mins (and most dont), theres
  no reason you can't set your 2000 on its side. If your so inclined one of
  those floor stands they sell for MS-DOS machines will work well. Matter of
  fact so will the MS-DOS monitor and keyboard extension cables.

  Sneakers

--
                                      ___
    Dan "Sneakers" Schein            ////          BERKS AMIGA BBS

root@dialog.UUCP (Christian Motz) (05/12/89)

In article <85755A1S@PSUVM> A1S@PSUVM.BITNET (Andrew Snyder) writes:
>I was wondering if keeping my amiga 2000 vertical instead of horizontal would
>cause any problems.  I realy need the desk space.

No problem. I have my Amy under the Desk in a vertical position for
almost 2 years now. The only thing you should do first if you have
a Harddisk is to check if the Harddisk manufacturer specifies that
the drive can be used in a vertical position -- if so, you're home
free.

--
Christian Motz       uucp: ...!uunet!mcvax!unido!pfm!nadia!dialog!root
"Trust me, I know what I'm doing!" -- Sledge Hammer         Bix: cmotz

In <634@dialog.UUCP>, root@dialog.UUCP (Christian Motz) writes:
> In article <85755A1S@PSUVM> A1S@PSUVM.BITNET (Andrew Snyder) writes:
> >I was wondering if keeping my amiga 2000 vertical instead of horizontal would
> >cause any problems.  I realy need the desk space.
>
> No problem. I have my Amy under the Desk in a vertical position for
> almost 2 years now. The only thing you should do first if you have
> a Harddisk is to check if the Harddisk manufacturer specifies that
> the drive can be used in a vertical position -- if so, you're home
> free.

There is one more thing to watch for if you have a hardcard, or have otherwise
mounted a drive on edge (when the 2000 is in the 'normal' position. When you
stand it on end, be sure that the drive ends up 'right side up'. Many, if not
most, drives simply will not run, or will fail prematurely if run upside down.

-larry

--
  - Don't tell me what kind of a day to have! -
|   //   Larry Phillips                                                |