[comp.sys.amiga] Starboards SCSI interface

silver@cup.portal.com (Jim B Howard) (05/18/89)

Excuse me if this is a dumb question that was asked before, but

Can I buy the Starboard SCSI Interface ($120) to go with my Starboard II
memory expansion (on a 1000) and then plug any SCSI drive into that
without any other controllers or adaptors?  Is the adaptor and the
drive/power supply all I would need to buy?

I dont want to get this thing if Im going to have to get an SCSI controller
to attach to the adaptor, and then try to find some cash left over for
the drive itself.

mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) (05/18/89)

silver@cup.portal.com (Jim B Howard) writes:
> Can I buy the Starboard SCSI Interface ($120) to go with my Starboard II
> memory expansion (on a 1000) and then plug any SCSI drive into that
> without any other controllers or adaptors?  Is the adaptor and the
> drive/power supply all I would need to buy?

Yes, but you will also need a Macintosh-style SCSI cable to go from
the plug on the back of your Starboard II to the SCSI drive.  The
Mac-style SCSI port is 25-pin, compared to the rest of the known
universe which uses a SCSI-standard 50-pin connector.

--
Michael Portuesi * Information Technology Center * Carnegie Mellon University
INTERNET: mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu * BITNET: mp1u+@andrew

tomb@hplsla.HP.COM (Tom Bruhns) (05/19/89)

> mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) writes:
>silver@cup.portal.com (Jim B Howard) writes:
>> Can I buy the Starboard SCSI Interface ($120) to go with my Starboard II
>> memory expansion (on a 1000) and then plug any SCSI drive into that
>> without any other controllers or adaptors?  Is the adaptor and the
>> drive/power supply all I would need to buy?
>
>Yes, but you will also need a Macintosh-style SCSI cable to go from
>the plug on the back of your Starboard II to the SCSI drive.  The
>Mac-style SCSI port is 25-pin, compared to the rest of the known
>universe which uses a SCSI-standard 50-pin connector.
>
>Michael Portuesi * Information Technology Center * Carnegie Mellon University

I've done better than that price on StarDrives.  I've been generally
pleased with Intercomputing's service and prices.  Std disclaimer:
satisfied customer.

Please note that the StarDrive does seem to have problems with some
kinds of SCSI drives, and many folk have had trouble getting them to
work with SCSI-->PC-style adaptors.  I am using one with a ST-277N,
and it works fine.  I made my own cable with no difficulty.  I know
another person who has NOT been able to get his ST-296N drive to work
with either his StarDrive or with mine, and we are sure it is not
cabling and we are sure the drive is OK.  I have heard many times from
many sources that Microbotics is very little help getting drives
working with StarDrive; in fact, they ask in their documentation that
_you_ tell _them_ how you got your drive working if it isn't on thier
list.  (I wouldn't mind that if they would, in turn, be more helpful :-)

Don't get the wrong impression:  I love my StarDrive/ST-277N, and
would have a hard time getting along without it.  Just be aware that
you should check to see that the exact combination you want to use
is one that somebody else has done successfully.

Tom Bruhns
tomb%hplsla@hplabs.hp.com