[comp.sys.amiga] Bad floppy crashes system and Support FLAME!!

gmd@myhut.UUCP (George MacDonald) (05/14/89)

I am having a problem with one of my floppies -

I believe I formatted the disk some time ago, I would not swear to this.
Anyhow I had copied some files onto the disk and was in the process of
doing so again yesterday. Wham I get a read write error! Oops, oh well,
so I cancel the error and I get a Disk Corrupt Guru! No big deal I pop out
the floppy and reboot my 2500(first time it's been down in two weeks 8-) ).
Anyhow as soon as I pop in the floppy the guru comes right back! Arrgh!!
I can't even examine the disk without it crashing the machine!!! I have
not had any problem with floppies during the past three years of
amiga use so I've never had the chance to diskdoctor etc. I always
assumed I would get the chance someday, but foiled at the last moment!
Is their anyway to salvage the data? Is there some way to ask the OS
not to check the disk so it wont guru. At least then I would have a fighting
chance of getting at the data.

I am running a 2500 with virusX, mclk, Dcron, pyro, csh's ... I thought
maybe virusX may have something to do with it. But alas, even after I
kill virusX the same thing happens.

I tried Commodore Customer Support, they report I have a bad disk!!
I persisted in asking if there was not something I could do. I got
a define NO for an answer. I then suggested that the OS should not
guru for something like a bad disk. I was disconnected at that point.
Either Commodore has a bad phone system or impolite support staff!!
I'm glad I like my machine, the support sure would have turned me off.
Oh well I guess it is Monday morning, I'm sure I would not like dealing
with difficult questions then either 8-)!

I think I'll go check the stores and show them a new trick 8-) 8-| 8-(.

George MacDonald  ...{decvax}!zinn!myhut!gmd

new@udel.EDU (Darren New) (05/16/89)

In article <0473.AA0473@myhut> gmd@myhut.UUCP (George MacDonald) writes:
>Anyhow as soon as I pop in the floppy the guru comes right back! Arrgh!!

I have not used it, but the latest version of DiskSalve is documented
as avoiding this problem. Start DiskSalve first, wait for some prompt
or other (sorry, from memory) and then put in the disk. By this time,
the drive has been snatched out from under the filesystem, which will
therefore not check the disk. Diskcopy can be used to copy it by starting
Diskcopy from the CLI and waiting for the "put in the disk" prompt before
inserting any disks. Workbench will show the disks as "DF?:BUSY" which
is your clue that it is safe. (Of course, Diskcopy probably wont fix
your problem, but if the files are important, you may want to do this
until you get DiskSalve.) Anyway, try DiskSalve. -- Darren New

MikeHammer@cup.portal.com (Michael S Kalai) (05/17/89)

Yes, you are (most) definately having a problem with your floppie..

 I've had a similar problem, just screw the disk (magnets, or what ever
you can do to majorly mess it up) so that you can reformat it.

Good Luck!

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (05/19/89)

In article <0473.AA0473@myhut> gmd@myhut.UUCP (George MacDonald) writes:

>I am having a problem with one of my floppies -

[Describes a problem with his floppye diskes wherein the system gurus
every tyme he stickes one in a diske drive]

Yes, I've had that. I've had that several times. It's probably fair to say
that everybody whose had an amiga for more than a year has had that.

The concept of sticking a disk in a drive and the system comes
tumbling down to it's knees is a difficult one to accept.

At this point, somebody will no doubt think seriously of posting:
``BUT THATS THE WAY UNIX/VMS/MINIX DOES IT !!''. Well, who
cares. Like, it cant be fixed ?

I've posted on this subject twice in two years, and never got
an answer to my question, as to how can this happen.

My *guess* is that it's reading information off the disk then
acring on it without validating the information. This seems to be
a generally unsound practice.

If I had a magyk wand and could only have one thing fixed in the
Amiga OS, it would be this.

????

--
                    ``So little time, so many watches''
richard@gryphon.COM  decwrl!gryphon!richard   gryphon!richard@elroy.jpl.NASA.GOV

In article <15928@gryphon.COM> richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>In article <0473.AA0473@myhut> gmd@myhut.UUCP (George MacDonald) writes:
>[Describes a problem with his floppye diskes wherein the system gurus
					 ^^^
>every tyme he stickes one in a diske  drive]
				   ^^^

>If I had a magyk wand and could only have one thing fixed in the
>Amiga OS, it would be this.

Another interesting floppy problem I have run into
is when you pop in a floopy, realize it was the wrong one,
and pop it out just as the drive turns on. That drive is
now dead until reboot. Sometimes if you don't get the
disk out in time, a requester will pop up yelling at you,
but things still don't work right.

By the way, 'disk' is spelled without an 'e'
This is an example of a short .signature   jap@frith.cl.msu.edu

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (05/19/89)

In article <15928@gryphon.COM> richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>My *guess* is that it's reading information off the disk then
>acring on it without validating the information. This seems to be
>a generally unsound practice.

Actually, what its doing is validating the information, and finding it
so bad that it assumes that the data structures for that drive are
corrupt, and that any writing using that drive is doomed to failure.

This is probably not optimum behavior :-)

--
andy finkel		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

  "Do or Do Not.  There is no Try." - Yoda, explaining the loop constructs
				     in JCL (Jedi Control Language).