[comp.sys.amiga] Color composite on A500, and other questions.

andrew@aucis.UUCP (Andrew Gillham) (05/13/89)

I would just like to ask if anybody knows of a *easy* (not expensive) way to get
composite color out of an A500?  I realize that I can buy a RGB to composite
convert for $50, but would rather not.  I just managed to scrape together
enough money for the A500 and would like to run it in color on my tv..
Any suggestions?  Thanks..

Question 2:
Is there a public domain program that can read/write IBM 720k diskettes?
I need to transfer some files, etc..(plus the nifty stuff from the usenet!).

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!!!
(I just got the beauty so I'm not terribly familiar with it)
((but I'm learning!))

	-Andrew

--
Andrew Gillham              | andrew%aucis.uucp@mailgw.cc.umich.edu or
Andrews University          | sharkey!aucis!andrew or uunet!zds-ux!aucis!andrew

In article <413@aucis.UUCP> (Andrew Gillham) writes:
> I would just like to ask if anybody knows of a *easy* (not expensive)
> way to get composite color out of an A500?  I realize that I can buy a
> RGB to composite convert for $50, but would rather not.

		[Cost, Difficulty, Quality]

Pick any two. Working with video is straight forward but not "easy" per
se. You have two options on the build your own front, one is to get
the "Cheap Video Cookbook" which had some innovative ways for making
composite color in it, or you can get a Motorola 1377 (or something like
that) RGB -> Composite converter. There is one in the Amiga 1000. At
one time Mot had a little application board that you could build, check
with their sales office. Can you do it for less than $50 ? Maybe, depends
on how much you want to hack up your Amiga.

> I just managed to scrape together enough money for the A500 and would
> like to run it in color on my tv.. Any suggestions?  Thanks..

I can appreciate this. Can you stand it in monochrome for a month or
two while you figure out a way to come up with $50 ? I'd guess it would
be easier to mow 10 lawns for $5 apiece than it would to build this
thing on your own, but then again I don't know your situation.

>Question 2:
>Is there a public domain program that can read/write IBM 720k diskettes?
>I need to transfer some files, etc..(plus the nifty stuff from the usenet!).

Get the PCCopy stuff off your "Extras" disk, and something called PCPatch
off the binaries archives.

--Chuck McManis
"A most excellent barbarian ... Genghis Kahn!"

jms@doctor.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) (05/19/89)

In article <105356@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> cmcmanis@sun.UUCP (Chuck McManis) writes:
>In article <413@aucis.UUCP> (Andrew Gillham) writes:
>> I just managed to scrape together enough money for the A500 and would
>> like to run it in color on my tv.. Any suggestions?  Thanks..
>
>I can appreciate this. Can you stand it in monochrome for a month or
>two while you figure out a way to come up with $50 ? I'd guess it would
>be easier to mow 10 lawns for $5 apiece than it would to build this
>thing on your own, but then again I don't know your situation.

I had one friend complain after spending mucho bucks for a high quality
genlock, that 80 column text looked lousy on the color composite output.  He
started flaming about "bad design" and such, and it took a bit of explaining
to calm him down.

A genlock (or RGB converter) has to conform to NTSC standards, which
includes encoding the color (chroma) information on a 3.58 megaHertz
subcarrier.  When the TV tries to separate the composite signal into
chroma and luma (b&w) signals, the portions of the luma signal at 3.58
and 7.16 MHz get filtered out.  Since 80-column text has a lot of signal
energy at 7.16 MHz, the text gets blurred.  And if you have to go through
an RF modulator so your TV picks up the signal on Channel 3 or 4, the
text gets even blurrier.

In summary, don't expect 80 column text to look good on your color TV.
You can read it, but with some difficulty.
--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: JMS@F74.TYMNET.COM or jms@tymix.tymnet.com
McDonnell Douglas FSCO  | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms

phoenix@ms.uky.edu (R'ykandar Korra'ti) (05/19/89)

On the subject of Amiga RF;
     The output can sometimes actually be quite surprisingly good. I get
80 columns by 25 lines using an A520 with just a regular TV - an RCA 19
inch. (Two Amigas + only one monitor (1084) = compromises...). Anyway,
you might want to watch out for Zenith televisions. The two that I've
played with won't deal with a video signal from a computer in general,
UNLESS it's an Amiga WITH INTERLACE ON. (Tried a couple of other computers
too - Commodore 64, Sinclair 1000). The screen bounces up and down if your
mode isn't interlaced. SETLACE will handle this for most applications, if
you do have a Zenith, but things like Arkanoid (which won't even THINK
about letting you run real AnigaDOS, much less utilities like SETLACE)
seem to be doomed to bounce.
     Good luck...
     Oh, almost forgot. 80x25 was readable without too much of a problem,
but 80*50 was not fun at all.
                                                    - R'ykandar.

--
| "Signature, hell! I can barely print!"  | phoenix@ukma.bitnet | Plink:   |
| "Who let him in here?" - Tom Smith      | CIS: 72406,370      | Skywise  |

carlson@betelgeuse (Richard L. Carlson) (05/20/89)

In article <11712@s.ms.uky.edu> phoenix@ms.uky.edu (R'ykandar Korra'ti) writes:
>On the subject of Amiga RF; . . .
>you might want to watch out for Zenith televisions. The two that I've
>played with won't deal with a video signal from a computer in general,
>UNLESS it's an Amiga WITH INTERLACE ON. (Tried a couple of other computers
>too - Commodore 64, Sinclair 1000). The screen bounces up and down if your
>mode isn't interlaced.

It must depend on the particular model.  I've used my 1000 on a ~10 year
old Heath TV (whose guts are made by Zenith).  I've used everything from
60x24 (non-interlaced) text to 80x48 (interlaced) text without problems
(except that distinguishing between ')' and '>' becomes real difficult at
the highest resolutions).  I guess the bottom line is (as always), before
you lay down money for something that's not "standard", try to find a way
to test it out and see if it meets your personal standards...

-- Richard
   ...!ucbvax!ernie!carlson
   carlson@ernie.berkeley.edu