[comp.sys.amiga] Dmouse-LineArt problem...

raz@kilowatt.uucp (Raz- Berry) (05/11/89)

	I just tried Dmouse-LineArt handler that Mark Rinfret hacked up
(which I was really psyched to find) and immediatly installed it on my
system. Initially everything seemed fine... then it happened, I modified
the screenblanking interval and waited. This time when the screen started
LineArting it locked everything else out. BAD. Nice try Mark.

So, DON'T USE THE RECENTLY POSTED DMOUSE-LINEART HANDLER.

The solution:
	I just found dmouse 1.13 that has an IPC blanker port builtin.
What this means is that with a little time I can rewrite LineArt to work
with Dmouse (as a replacement blanker) as Matt intends, and still allow all
the cutomization of both programs to remain intact. Look for a reworked
LineArt soon...

BTW, Bob Page should have Dmouse 1.13 soon too, so don't send me mail asking
for it ok? It won't be in the archives until he posts it.

--
Steve -Raz- Berry      Disclaimer: I didn't do nutin!
UUCP: sun!kilowatt!raz                    ARPA: raz%kilowatt.EBay@sun.com

mrr@amanpt1.amanpt1.Newport.RI.US (Mark Rinfret) (05/15/89)

In article <33788@kilowatt.uucp>, raz@kilowatt.uucp (Raz- Berry) writes:

> 	I just tried Dmouse-LineArt handler that Mark Rinfret hacked up
> (which I was really psyched to find) and immediatly installed it on my
> system. Initially everything seemed fine... then it happened, I modified
> the screenblanking interval and waited. This time when the screen started
> LineArting it locked everything else out. BAD. Nice try Mark.

Yeah - I was aware that that could be a problem and was going to fix it if
I got any response indicating an interest.  I thought I included enough
_disclaimer_ and cautionary verbage to indicate that it wasn't anything more
than a crude hack. I'm happy to see that my posting triggered what I consider
to be a positive response.  I'll be looking forward to your "polished"
alternative (absolutely no sarcasm intended here). It's nice to walk by the
computer room and see the monitor doing "something" rather than blankly
staring back at me ("Oh-no!  System crashed! :-).  Thanks for your program.
I had fun playing with it.

Mark

--
{ Mark R. Rinfret            mrr@amanpt1.Newport.RI.US                       }
{ HyperView Systems Corp.    Hypermedia Solutions for Documentation/Training }

raz%kilowatt@Sun.COM (Steve -Raz- Berry) (05/20/89)

In article <564@amanpt1.amanpt1.Newport.RI.US> mrr@amanpt1.amanpt1.Newport.RI.US (Mark Rinfret) writes:
>In article <33788@kilowatt.uucp>, raz@kilowatt.uucp (Raz- Berry) writes:

>> [ I describe a problem with Mark's dmouse-handler ]

>Yeah - I was aware that that could be a problem and was going to fix it if
>I got any response indicating an interest.  I thought I included enough
>_disclaimer_ and cautionary verbage to indicate that it wasn't anything more
>than a crude hack.

Yep, you did. I just wanted to make sure that you and others were aware that
there was a problem... I know I always hate it when I find something really
neet somewhere, but my system crashes because of it. Besides, Matt has
just modified dmouse to do exactly this kind of thing via IPC.

>I'm happy to see that my posting triggered what I consider
>to be a positive response.  I'll be looking forward to your "polished"
>alternative (absolutely no sarcasm intended here). It's nice to walk by the
>computer room and see the monitor doing "something" rather than blankly
>staring back at me ("Oh-no!  System crashed! :-).  Thanks for your program.
>I had fun playing with it.

>Mark
>{ Mark R. Rinfret            mrr@amanpt1.Newport.RI.US                       }

Thanks. I had fun writing it. My wife on the other hand doesn't like it
much... (she thinks it's too distracting).

I actually have a working version ready, but I suspect there are still some
deamons lurking. I changed LineArt to draw directly into the screen's rast-
port so it's even FASTER now! But now I am seeing some random system crashes
somtimes as long as two days after running the blanker. I really hate
those kind of bugs...

Does anybody know of any bugs with Draw() or DrawEllipse()?
I know about passing 0's as radis values to DrawEllipse, anything else?