[net.music] Dropping picks

nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) (10/16/85)

While we're on the subject of dropping picks....

Once when I saw Birdsongs of the Mesozoic, Martin Swope dropped his pick
in the middle of a piece and couldn't find where it went, so he grabbed
a matchbook and played the rest of the piece perfectly using the
matchbook as a pick!  Now that's talent....

			-Doug Alan
			  nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (or ARPA)

gjk@talcott.UUCP (John) (10/16/85)

In article <102@mit-eddie.UUCP>, nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) writes:
> Once when I saw Birdsongs of the Mesozoic, Martin Swope dropped his pick
> in the middle of a piece and couldn't find where it went, so he grabbed
> a matchbook and played the rest of the piece perfectly using the
> matchbook as a pick!  Now that's talent....

No, that's not talent...I'll tell you what talent is:

I once saw Itzhak Perlman drop his bow while playing a Mozart piece.  So he
pulled out a hacksaw and played the rest of the performace perfectly...without
damaging his Stradavarius!
--
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
      ^  ^^

etan@tellab1.UUCP (Nate Stelton) (10/23/85)

In article <530@talcott.UUCP> gjk@talcott.UUCP (John) writes:
>In article <102@mit-eddie.UUCP>, nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) writes:
>> Once when I saw Birdsongs of the Mesozoic, Martin Swope dropped his pick
>> in the middle of a piece and couldn't find where it went, so he grabbed
>> a matchbook and played the rest of the piece perfectly using the
>> matchbook as a pick!  Now that's talent....
>
>No, that's not talent...I'll tell you what talent is:
>
>I once saw Itzhak Perlman drop his bow while playing a Mozart piece.  So he
>pulled out a hacksaw and played the rest of the performace perfectly...without
>damaging his Stradavarius!

I remember seeing one of the three stooges saw a cello in half under similar
circumstances -- a prime example of NO TALENT.

                                  -etan

barth@tellab1.UUCP (Barth Richards) (10/24/85)

In article <661@tellab1.UUCP> etan@tellab1.UUCP (Nate Stelton) writes:

>In article <530@talcott.UUCP> gjk@talcott.UUCP (John) writes:
>
>>In article <102@mit-eddie.UUCP>, nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) writes:
>>
>>> Once when I saw Birdsongs of the Mesozoic, Martin Swope dropped his pick
>>> in the middle of a piece and couldn't find where it went, so he grabbed
>>> a matchbook and played the rest of the piece perfectly using the
>>> matchbook as a pick!  Now that's talent....
>>
>>No, that's not talent...I'll tell you what talent is:
>>
>>I once saw Itzhak Perlman drop his bow while playing a Mozart piece.  So he
>>pulled out a hacksaw and played the rest of the performace perfectly...without
>>damaging his Stradavarius!
>
>I remember seeing one of the three stooges saw a cello in half under similar
>circumstances -- a prime example of NO TALENT.

As I remember that Three Stooges episode, they were in the midst of Oozgood
Pfortz's SYMPHONY FOR DOGS RELIEVING THEMSELVES ON THE SIDEWALK, and flawlessly
executed the five minute long string of 132nd notes (in flattened fifths) while
bifurcating said cello.

                             NOW THAT'S TALENT!!!

                                   Barth Richards
				   Tellabs, Inc.