[comp.sys.amiga] Bad floppy crashes system

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (05/21/89)

In article <6933@cbmvax.UUCP> andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) writes:

>Actually, what its doing is validating the information, and finding it
>so bad that it assumes that the data structures for that drive are
>corrupt, and that any writing using that drive is doomed to failure.

Umm, then why doesn't it mark it as bad (like it does with an unformatted
disk) instead of guru'ing and bringing my system to it's knees ?

>This is probably not optimum behavior :-)

This of course depends on what your goals are.
--
                    ``So little time, so many watches''
richard@gryphon.COM  decwrl!gryphon!richard   gryphon!richard@elroy.jpl.NASA.GOV

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (05/23/89)

In article <16017@gryphon.COM> richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>In article <6933@cbmvax.UUCP> andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) writes:
>Umm, then why doesn't it mark it as bad (like it does with an unformatted
>disk) instead of guru'ing and bringing my system to it's knees ?

AmigaDOS has decided the data structures associated with either the
device, the volume, or trackdisk itself are corrupt.  Far better
that it would have just killed all access to the drive.  (it could
have done so just by putting up the requester without a cancel option)
but it didn't do so, for no good reason I can think of.  It will
do better in the future, I hope :-)
--
andy finkel		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

  "Do or Do Not.  There is no Try." - Yoda, explaining the loop constructs
				     in JCL (Jedi Control Language).