[comp.sys.amiga] Preferences Key Repeat Delay

lynn@rave.phx.mcd.mot.com (Lynn D. Newton) (05/23/89)

Here's a relatively dumb and naive question from a relatively
experienced Amigan -- couldn't find the answer by quick perusal,
so maybe someone just knows and can tell me and save me the
trouble of looking it up who-knows-where:

I wanted to reset the Key Repeat Delay in Preferences a little
faster. I set it in Preferences, saved it, and found it didn't
change. The slider gadget will let me place the knob anywhere on
the line, and if I move it to the right it slows down. But if I
move to the left it always returns to where it was. Presumably I
have hit some globally-defined minimum. (The knob is right about
on the space between Key and Repeat.) I gather there are probably
only 4 or 8 or some other small number of values that the
parameter accepts and that the space between increments is larger
than, for instance, color definitions. If so, then does anyone
know why it won't show the knob all the way to the left if one
has hit the minimum? Or is there something wrong here?

Lynn D. Newton		  | System Test
Motorola MCD, Tempe, AZ	  | (Department of Heuristic Methodology)
(602) 437-3739		  | "The bug stops here!"
lynn@rave.phx.mcd.mot.com |

eric@cbmvax.UUCP (Eric Cotton) (05/23/89)

In article <LYNN.89May22120208@rave.rave.phx.mcd.mot.com> lynn@rave.phx.mcd.mot.com (Lynn D. Newton) writes:
>Here's a relatively dumb and naive question from a relatively
>experienced Amigan -- couldn't find the answer by quick perusal,
>so maybe someone just knows and can tell me and save me the
>trouble of looking it up who-knows-where:
>
>I wanted to reset the Key Repeat Delay in Preferences a little
>faster. I set it in Preferences, saved it, and found it didn't
>change. The slider gadget will let me place the knob anywhere on
>the line, and if I move it to the right it slows down. But if I
>move to the left it always returns to where it was. Presumably I
>have hit some globally-defined minimum. (The knob is right about
>on the space between Key and Repeat.) I gather there are probably
>only 4 or 8 or some other small number of values that the
>parameter accepts and that the space between increments is larger
>than, for instance, color definitions. If so, then does anyone
>know why it won't show the knob all the way to the left if one
>has hit the minimum? Or is there something wrong here?

I was curious myself so I took a look at the source.  It turns out that
the minimum allowable value for the delay is 400000 microseconds.  So
even thought the Prefs prop gadget lets you go all the way to 0, on exit
it'll bump the value up.  Why the prop lets you go below 400000 micros
to begin with is another mystery...
--
Eric Cotton
Commodore-Amiga                                               (215) 431-9100