[comp.sys.amiga] Compiled BASIC recommendations needed

SS24766%UAFSYSB.BITNET@umrvmb.umr.edu (Bryan Stover) (05/17/89)

Just finished learning some BASIC programming using GW-BASIC on IBM clones
here at the "U". Am on the way to becoming something other than just a
user-abuser. (What, of course, is unknown!) Have played with AmigaBASIC
enough to loathe it. What now?

Using TurboBASIC on the clones was so nifty that I yearn to use a "better
BASIC" on Ami!

Can anyone recommend, from personal experience, either GFA BASIC or HiSoft
BASIC? Any reason to prefer one to the other?

Some years ago a mentor advised that, in order to become a good photographer,
you should choose one type of film, paper, and film and paper developers and
use them until you "knew" intuitively how to manifest your vision. That one
type of BASIC is what I'm looking for now.

Will gladly summarise to the net if appropriate. Many thanks for the help!

Cheers!   Bryan

WWWWWWWWwwwwwwwwwWWWWWWWWWwwwwwwwwwWWWWWWWWWwwwwwwwwwWWWWWWWWWwwwwwwwwwWWWWWWWW
  Bitnet:SS24766@UAFSYSB  PLink:BStover  GEnie:XTX28334  Voice:(501)442-0583
MMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmMMMMMMMM

In <15594@louie.udel.EDU>, SS24766%UAFSYSB.BITNET@umrvmb.umr.edu (Bryan Stover) writes:
> Just finished learning some BASIC programming using GW-BASIC on IBM clones
> here at the "U". Am on the way to becoming something other than just a
> user-abuser. (What, of course, is unknown!) Have played with AmigaBASIC
> enough to loathe it. What now?

You are, of course, now permanently warped beyond redemtion :-).  If you hate
Amigabasic, you probably won't be happy with any other Basic.  On the other
hand, if you hate Amigabasic's user interface and bugs, you could be happy with
a sharp stick and wet clay tablets.

> Using TurboBASIC on the clones was so nifty that I yearn to use a "better
> BASIC" on Ami!
>
> Can anyone recommend, from personal experience, either GFA BASIC or HiSoft
> BASIC? Any reason to prefer one to the other?

HiSoft is an excellent product. It compiles quickly, produces pretty lean code
for Basic, and has a good user interface. It is a compiler only. I haven't seen
GFA Basic.

-larry

--
  - Don't tell me what kind of a day to have! -
|   //   Larry Phillips                                                |

Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com (05/18/89)

Get Hi-Soft Basic! It is like AmigaBasic but compiled. You can load in a Amiga-
Basic program and it will compile. It has a nice editor, is not slow like ABasi
and does not guru. There was a review of it in Antic's latest issue of Amiga
plus. You should check it out.

          - Doug -

 Doug_B_Erdely@Portal.Cup.Com

barrett@ektools.UUCP (Chris Barrett) (05/19/89)

In article <18480@cup.portal.com> Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com writes:
>Get Hi-Soft Basic! It is like AmigaBasic but compiled. You can load in a Amiga-

What about sizes of compiled files, How does it compare to the size of the
source?  Speed of compilation? Speed of execution? How does it compare to
AC-Basic compiler?  Inquiring minds want to know!  Thanks for any info.

Chris

		barrett@ektools ( Chris Barrett )
		 rochester!kodak!ektools!barrett
--

In <1900@ektools.UUCP>, barrett@ektools.UUCP (Chris Barrett) writes:
> In article <18480@cup.portal.com> Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com writes:
>> Get Hi-Soft Basic! It is like AmigaBasic but compiled. You can load in a Amiga-
>
> What about sizes of compiled files, How does it compare to the size of the
> source?  Speed of compilation? Speed of execution? How does it compare to
> AC-Basic compiler?  Inquiring minds want to know!  Thanks for any info.

Compiled files are very reasonable in size. There is an option that allows you
to compile to two types of code, one that uses the supplied
hisoftbasic.library, and one that compiles to standalone executable requiring
no other modules/files to run. The type that needs the library builds the
smallest executable (see below)

Here are some stats for you. The first is a non-trivial program that does a
sort of a pretty-print of a file captured from a Compuserve COnference. It
checks the lengths of the names of the participants and formats lines
accordingly, removing the Compuserve specific room number, parens, job numbers,
or user ID numbers, allows selective inclusion or exclusion of participants by
name, inclusion or exclusion of private messages received, and inclusion or
exclusion of 'status' resukts, showing who is on-line at the time.

I wrote it as an excercise to see how the language was, and it turned out to be
useful (I know of one fellow who saves himself an hour or two every week with
it).

Calculations.bas is the (probably older version) Byte benchmark of the same
name. Code follows:

--------------------------
REM $EVENT ON
REM $OPTION B+,G-,N+,L-,Y+

defint i

nr = 5000
a = 2.71828
b = 3.14159
c = 1
for i = 1 to nr
	c = c*a
	c = c*b
	c = c/a
	c = c/b
next i
print "error ="; c-1
-------------------------

Stats:
------
cofilter.bas      4470 bytes - (about 190 lines of code)
calculations.bas   173 bytes - (see code above)

Compiled to run with hisoftbasic.library
cofilter          6148 bytes - Time to compile: 9.32 seconds
calculations       712 bytes - Time to compile: 3.46 seconds
NOTE: hisoftbasic.library -  46672 bytes (required at run time for above)

Compiled standalone
-------------------
calculations     12440 bytes - Time to compile:  4.14 seconds
cofilter         23972 bytes - Time to compile: 10.56 seconds

Runtime speed
-------------
Calculations: 3.58 seconds, error =-1.192093E-07
Cofilter:     N/A

NOTE: May '85 True Basic review gave the following times and results
      (on IBM PC)

True Basic:   19.7 seconds, error = -4.5830006457E-13
PC-Basic:     69.2 seconds, error = -1.788139E-07
BetterBASIC:  91.3 seconds, error =  0  (uses BCD internally)
Turbo Pascal: 82.6 seconds, error = -1.3384124031E-08

------------------------------

I have not used AC-Basic, since I was completely turned off by the minimum
standalone code size, which includes the entire run-time library, whether you
need it or not.

I think this is a great package, even if I don't like Basic much.

-larry

--

agnus@nadia.UUCP (Matthias Zepf) (05/22/89)

In article <2425@van-bc.UUCP> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:
>In <15594@louie.udel.EDU>, SS24766%UAFSYSB.BITNET@umrvmb.umr.edu (Bryan Stover) writes:
>> Can anyone recommend, from personal experience, either GFA BASIC or HiSoft
>> BASIC? Any reason to prefer one to the other?
>HiSoft is an excellent product. It compiles quickly, produces pretty lean code
>for Basic, and has a good user interface. It is a compiler only. I haven't seen
>GFA Basic.

GFA Basic is a very good product. It isn't a basic compiler, but it is
fast like one. The running speed is in some cases faster than the speed
of programs written in Aztec or Lattice C. The syntax of GFA Basic is
not compatible with Basica/GW-Basic/AmigaBasic but GFA Basic has it
own very fast editor with syntax checking an automatically structured
programming. It needs only one look at GFA Basic to see that it is the
BEST basic one can get!

Greets Matthias (owner of GFA Basic with seriell number under 1000)

P.S: The current GFA Basic release is V3.03.

  |  Matthias "Agnus" Zepf     ...!uunet!unido!gtc!aragon!amylnd!agnus  |
  |  D-7250 Leonberg, West Germany   AMIGA made it possible FIRST!      |

In <476@nadia.UUCP>, agnus@nadia.UUCP (Matthias Zepf) writes:
>GFA Basic is a very good product. It isn't a basic compiler, but it is
>fast like one. The running speed is in some cases faster than the speed
>of programs written in Aztec or Lattice C. The syntax of GFA Basic is
>not compatible with Basica/GW-Basic/AmigaBasic but GFA Basic has it
>own very fast editor with syntax checking an automatically structured
>programming. It needs only one look at GFA Basic to see that it is the
>BEST basic one can get!

Does GFA basic allow you to use another editor/environment or does it force you
into theirs? I don't mind integrated environments, as long as they are the ones
I choose to have.

I don't use Basic as a rule, and would rather that any program I write (or that
anyone else writes and I find useful), be standalone, so that I don't have to
carry the baggage of the interpreter. If I used Basic more, I would probably
not mind (like with ARexx, which is called for at least 25% of all commands I
type)

I guess 'best' is relative to your own needs, nicht wahr?

-larry