[comp.sys.amiga] DPIII + Director = Confusion

jmdavis@ihlpm.ATT.COM (Davis) (05/23/89)

Ok, here it is. A friend came over and made a quick animation with DPIII
(it shows the fundamental theorem of calculus). He created it planning to
be able to reverse parts of it (showing area increasing/decreasing as
x increases/decreases). Also, he put an opening screen up and a closing
screen up. Problems:

	1) The Director's ANIM command doesn't go backwards!!!! (Grrrr)

	2) Last Frame problems. I realize that you must check ANIM's
	   end parameter BEFORE displaying the resultant frame, but
	   even then we end up on the first frame!

	3) ANIM's abs and rel parameters aren't used. I guess DPIII
	   doesn't create that type of animation, but why not?

We can work around problems 1 and 3. 1 by buffering up the sequence
we want to reverse (too much memory) or by modifying the original
animation (more memory, but not too much). 3 by simply counting frames.

But problem 2 is a real bummer. DPIII saves and shows the animation
at the same time. When it gets to the last frame, it is still saving
and displays the first frame with the zz-cloud. Therefore we suspect
that DPIII is saving the first frame as the last frame of the animation!

Does anybody have similar problems or advise to give? I have
DPaint version 3.01 and the 6/14/88 version of Director.

	I am just about fed up	|	Mike Davis
	and I will only take it	|	..!att!ihlpm!jmdavis
	a few more times.	|

baer@percival.UUCP (Ken Baer) (05/24/89)

In article <3534@ihlpm.ATT.COM> jmdavis@ihlpm.ATT.COM (Davis) writes:
>	1) The Director's ANIM command doesn't go backwards!!!! (Grrrr)

ANIM doesn't play backwards.  When DPIII and Play (DPIII's ANIM player)
load an ANIM file, they convert it to something else (like ANIM XOR) that
can play backwards.  That's why the load times are longer than ShowANIM or
Director.

>	2) Last Frame problems. I realize that you must check ANIM's
>	   end parameter BEFORE displaying the resultant frame, but
>	   even then we end up on the first frame!

I guess DPIII automatically saves the looping frame and assumes you are using
-c looping.  It should give you a choice, there are times when you won't
want to loop.  Also, Display (from Hash Enterprises) often loops fine without
that extra frame, I don't know why ShowANIM is so clunky about it.  You can
use Animation:Editor to delete that extra frame.

>	3) ANIM's abs and rel parameters aren't used. I guess DPIII
>	   doesn't create that type of animation, but why not?

Not too many people are supporting this yet.  It's not a very natural way
to deal with timing if you're used to a constant FPS, like film (24fps),
or video (30fps).  In those media, you don't change the speed of the
projector to adjust your timing.

--
	-Ken Baer.
   //   Hash Enterprises: Choosy Toons Choose Hash.