[comp.sys.amiga] A500 keyboard

erk@americ.UUCP (Erick Parsons) (05/21/89)

Does anybody have an A500 used, broken keyboard that is hanging around
collecting dust ? If you do then I would be interested in buying it from you
for a *REASONABLE* price. New keyboards are about $110.00 locally and much
more than I need. My problem: I have about 3 bad keys on my kboard that will
not do nuttin. I have been dissambling the kboard and placing the culprits in
non essential positions (i.e. the supervisor key :-) but am running out of
essential keys slowly but surely. Finding keys for this beast is like finding
gold in seawater. I would be willing to pay up to $50.00 US for a dead board
WITH all keys (I dont need the circuit board). MUST be A500 keyboard.

Send replies to: erick@sactoh0
             or: ...pacbell!sactoh0!americ!erk

--
 ------------------ // -----------Cut-Here----------------------------------
  Erick Parsons    //    Words for the wise:   *If it works don't fix it.*

phoenix@ms.uky.edu (R'ykandar Korra'ti) (05/23/89)

In article <0370.AA0370@americ> erk@americ.UUCP (Erick Parsons) writes:
>I have about 3 bad keys on my kboard that will
>not do nuttin. I have been dissambling the kboard and placing the culprits in
>non essential positions (i.e. the supervisor key :-) but am running out of
>essential keys slowly but surely. Finding keys for this beast is like finding
>gold in seawater. I would be willing to pay up to $50.00 US for a dead board
>WITH all keys...

Have other people been having this problem? The 0 key on my number pad went
out in the same way - I opened the keyboard up and glued a strip of aluminium
foil over the contact bridge to fix it. Does having this problem at all mean
that you're doomed to slowly "aluminium-ize" your entire keyboard? Or is
this a rare problem that happens to be hitting me lightly and Erick with
a hammer?

--
| "Signature, hell! I can barely print!"  | phoenix@ukma.bitnet | Plink:   |
| "Who let him in here?" - Tom Smith      | CIS: 72406,370      | Skywise  |

jal@wsu-cs.uucp (Jason Leigh) (05/23/89)

You certainly are not the only one who has had to aluminize keys.
This kind of reminds me of the time when the Atari 130XE first came
out.  They had similar problems with their keyboards.  The question is
has Commodore fixed this problem (as well as the problems with the
A500 powersupply) in their new machines.

-- Jason

srt@cos.com (Stan R. Turner) (05/24/89)

In article <11738@s.ms.uky.edu> phoenix@ms.uky.edu (R'ykandar Korra'ti) writes:
>In article <0370.AA0370@americ> erk@americ.UUCP (Erick Parsons) writes:
>>I have about 3 bad keys on my kboard that will
>>not do nuttin. I have been dissambling the kboard and placing the culprits in
>>non essential positions (i.e. the supervisor key :-) but am running out of
>>essential keys slowly but surely. Finding keys for this beast is like finding
>>gold in seawater. I would be willing to pay up to $50.00 US for a dead board
>>WITH all keys...
>
>Have other people been having this problem? The 0 key on my number pad went
>out in the same way - I opened the keyboard up and glued a strip of aluminium
>foil over the contact bridge to fix it. Does having this problem at all mean
>that you're doomed to slowly "aluminium-ize" your entire keyboard? Or is
>this a rare problem that happens to be hitting me lightly and Erick with
>a hammer?

  I had the same thing happen to my right shift key on my A500.  I
tried to figure out why the little piece of conductive rubber stopped
conducting.  I checked to see if crud had collected on the rubber pads
but cleaning it with alcohol had no effect.  I ended up moving it to a
key on the keypad.  If I could find a source of the conductive rubber
I could cut a piece to fit but if another key breaks I may try the
"aluminium-ize" the key trick first.
  I remember reading in an earlier posting about some other vendor's
keyboard which used the same kind of keys, but I do not remember which
vendor it was.

------
In my country there is a belief, and rightly so, that the only thing
separating us from the animals is mindless superstitions and
pointless rituals.	-Latka in Taxi

Mail to  {decuac,hadron,hqda-ai,uunet}!cos.com!srt (Stanley R. Turner)