[comp.sys.amiga] New Fish Disks

BPJ0%LEHIGH.BITNET@ibm1.cc.lehigh.edu (Bin) (05/15/89)

Hi,

Does anybody know where I can obtain the new fish disks 189-200 other
than uihub.cs.uiuc.edu?  Either that node is closed down or there is
some other problem, I can't get to it.

Desperately seeking fish,
Bin

jwhitman@st-louis-emh2.army.mil (Jerry Whitman) (05/15/89)

Bin <BPJ0%LEHIGH.BITNET.IBM1.CC.LEHIGH.EDU> writes that he cannot reach
uihub.cs.uiuc.edu for Fred Fish disks 189-200.

When I try to access the node all I get is an FTP time-out trying to
establish the connection.  Seems something is definately wrong here.
While I am not glad to hear that someone else is having trouble I am glad
 to know the problem may not be mine alone.

Has anyone been successful reaching the node?

Thanks much!!!!

Regards;

Jerry Whitman

jwilson@s.cs.uiuc.edu (05/17/89)

I couldn't get to uihub.cs.uiuc.edu  until today, and it's not very far from
here :-)

However, it seems to be back up.

C503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Baird McIntosh) (05/18/89)

In article (15498@louie.udel.edu), jwhitman@st-louis-emh2.army.mil (Jerry
Whitman) writes:

>>Bin <BPJ0%LEHIGH.BITNET.IBM1.CC.LEHIGH.EDU> writes that he cannot reac
>>uihub.cs.uiuc.edu for Fred Fish disks 189-200.
>When I try to access the node all I get is an FTP time-out trying to
>establish the connection.  Seems something is definately wrong here.
>While I am not glad to hear that someone else is having trouble I am glad
> to know the problem may not be mine alone.
>Has anyone been successful reaching the node?

I have had the same time-out troubles in the past, but recently I have
gotten lucky.  It seems to be a hit-or-miss situation...sometimes you
CAN and sometimes you CAN'T get connected.  The flakey behavior of uihub
has prompted a friend to rename it yo.yo.edu.  :-)  I CAN say that Fish
Disks 189-200, with the exception of 192 (?), were in the archive when I
was able to connect.

>Thanks much!!!!

Best of luck in your connection attempts.

>Regards;
>Jerry Whitman

Baird McIntosh

 # INTERNET- c503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu <-or-> BITNET- c503719@umcvmb.bitnet #
 #   "Don't tell me truth hurts, little girl, 'cause it hurts like hell."     #
 #   -- from UNDERGROUND, by David Bowie.    / "USENET is not a network."     #

jwhitman@st-louis-emh2.army.mil (Jerry Whitman) (05/18/89)

Thanks to many who responded to my inability to reach UIHUB [128.174.252.27].

Seems there was a real-life (real-death?) problem at UIHUB.  Lionell Hummel
graciously dropped me a note indicating that UIHUB had in fact crashed and
lay at the bottom of the bit bucket un-noticed for a period of time.

It appears all is well now.  I can successfully reach UIHUB now.

That brings up a new question.  I tried twice yesterday to down load ISPell
from FF191.  Both attempts were aborted, apparently by UIHUB, about two
minutes into the transfer.  If memory serves me correctly the messages I
got were 1). Connection lost, followed by 2). Connection re-established
by peer.  However I was actually dis-connected.

Does UIHUB look for potentially heavy traffic of a low priority type such
as an FTP transfer and elect to terminate it if the time is needed for
higher priority tasks, or did I just run into a poor connection?

I am going to try it again today and see what happens.

Regards,  Jerry

deven@rpi.edu (Deven Corzine) (05/21/89)

In article <15678@louie.udel.EDU> jwhitman@st-louis-emh2.army.mil (Jerry Whitman) writes:

   Seems there was a real-life (real-death?) problem at UIHUB.  Lionell Hummel
   graciously dropped me a note indicating that UIHUB had in fact crashed and
   lay at the bottom of the bit bucket un-noticed for a period of time.

It happens.  A machine which is down (or non-existent) will always
give a connection timed out.  So can network delays.

   That brings up a new question.  I tried twice yesterday to down load ISPell
   from FF191.  Both attempts were aborted, apparently by UIHUB, about two
   minutes into the transfer.  If memory serves me correctly the messages I
   got were 1). Connection lost, followed by 2). Connection re-established
   by peer.  However I was actually dis-connected.

This sounds like a problem caused by network delays - i.e. your
machine was waiting for data from uihub, and due to some delay in the
network itself, it timed out, deciding that nothing was forthcoming.
Then, the expected data finally DID arrive, which could account for
the "Connection re-established by peer" message.  [I've never run
across that message, though I have hit "Connection reset by peer."]
Though the data might have arrived, and the connection may not have
needed to be closed, the ftp program probably closed the socket when
it got the original connection lost, so that the connection was closed
when communication between the machines was restored.

This is speculation, of course, but it seems a likely explanation...

   Does UIHUB look for potentially heavy traffic of a low priority type such
   as an FTP transfer and elect to terminate it if the time is needed for
   higher priority tasks, or did I just run into a poor connection?

Not bloody likely.  It probably wasn't a problem with uihub itself,
but with the intervening network, as I said.  True, interactive
(telnet) connections DO have higher priority, and perhaps would have
survived where the ftp connection did not, but it was no policy
decision; the network tries to deliver the packets (a "best-effort"
delivery system) but makes no guarantees.  It gives interactive
connections higher priority, but does not intentionally kill
lower-priority connections due to network load -- timeouts on either
end will do that when the network load gets high enough to introduce
significant delays.

You probably ran into a "poor connection" in the sense that a major
link may have been down, overloading some alternate path with less
bandwidth.  Such situations happen, and reconnecting isn't likely to
help you; the "connections" are logical, while the actual network only
delivers packets -- the TCP protocol and controlling software at each
end handles building packets into a byte stream.  It's not like a
phone line, where everything goes across certain wires, and you can
get a different path of wires by calling again.

In a single TCP connection, different packets in the sequence can take
completely different routes.  It's not a fixed path.  Hence,
reconnecting will only likely help if it affects how the remote
machine will deal with it as a new connection; it won't change the
data transfer rate.  That's governed by the state of the network,
routers, etc.  The network at large doesn't know or care how
particular packets combine into a byte stream.  Nor need it.

   I am going to try it again today and see what happens.

You can always wait a day or three and try again; if it is a major
link down, it will get fixed sooner or later.  If it's just too much
traffic, you can do much, except maybe try it at 5 AM...

Deven
--
shadow@[128.113.10.2]   <shadow@pawl.rpi.edu> Deven T. Corzine (518) 272-5847
shadow@[128.113.10.201] <shadow@acm.rpi.edu>  2346 15th St.    Pi-Rho America

denbeste@bbn.com (Steven Den Beste) (05/21/89)

Several people have complained here about extraordinarily slow FTP response
when accessing the Fish disk archives at UIUC.

I've been in contact with some of the system gods at UIUC, and it was explained
to me this way: This is a side effect of the Arpanet phaseout. The node that
UIUC used to connect to was one of the first to be turned off. So they
reconnected through a gateway (level 4, that is, an IP gateway) in (I think
they said) Michigan.

When you FTP to uihub or uxe what you are REALLY doing, as far as the Arpanet
is concerned, is calling the IP gateway. It operates at the same network level
as IP on your system (so it is a "peer"). It then opens a new connection down
to UIUC through some other non-Arpanet medium.

When you get any of the "peer" messages, especially "connection reset by peer",
what you are being told is that the IP gateway broke the connection for some
reason. (I conjecture that it does this in self-defense when it is
overloaded, likely preserving connections by its owners and killing others like
you and me first.)

Now some interesting questions and their answers:

1. Is it going to get better? Probably not.

2. Is it going to get worse? It is likely that as the Arpanet is further phased
out, other things like this will happen to other sites, and UIUC might get
worse or lose connection entirely.

3. Why is the Arpanet being phased out? Because Defense Advanced Research
Projects Agency (who pays for it) doesn't think that the Arpanet is either
advanced, or research, or a project anymore and doesn't want to shell out all
the money it costs. The NSFnet is supposed to pick up the traffic as the
Arpanet phases out, but the NSFnet will be charging its users for their
traffic, so don't expect the same kind of free and easy access you have now.
(All the UUCP and BITNET users are now entitled to one (1) each snicker.)

4. When I get one of these messages, is there anything I can do to fix the
problem? No.

5. If I try it again immediately will I have better success? It is hard to say
for sure, but it isn't likely.

6. Is there anything UIUC can do about this? Not really. There isn't really any
chance of them getting another direct connection to the Arpanet - that's what
the phase-out is about. Any answer for them is going to be extremely expensive.

7. How can I get a clean transfer, then? You might try calling at 4:00 AM on a
Sunday when the traffic level is low at the gateway...

Sorry to paint such a bleak picture.

I now have a question of my own, which I'd sure appreciate an answer to: I
seem vaguely to remember that there was some other site which had a duplicate
of uxe's Fish disk directory, but I'll be damned if I remember where it was.
Am I imagining it, and if not, could someone mail me the name or address of
that site?

Steven C. Den Beste,   BBN Communications Corp., Cambridge MA
denbeste@bbn.com(ARPA/CSNET/UUCP)    harvard!bbn.com!denbeste(UUCP)

hummel@m.cs.uiuc.edu (05/25/89)

/* Written 11:23 am  May 21, 1989 by denbeste@bbn.com in comp.sys.amiga: */
> Now some interesting questions and their answers:

OK.  Steven Den Beste gave some good and useful information about the
woes of the ARPA phaseout, but most of the problems being reported are
strictly UIHUB's.  It is a black-sheep SV machine in a BSD shop, hence
it sees relatively little use, and that's why I was able to usurp disk
space for a "staging" area to the UXE archive.  Unfortunately, the
"administrative gods" here don't give it a high priority when it is
having problems, like those it's been having since upgrading it to SV
r3.1.1.  If I can wing some administrative privledges on UIHUB, I will
straighten things out right away.  For the time being, though, it will
be quite intermittent.

> I now have a question of my own, which I'd sure appreciate an answer to: I
> seem vaguely to remember that there was some other site which had a duplicate
> of uxe's Fish disk directory, but I'll be damned if I remember where it was.

The site is:
                     128.8.10.14     trantor.umd.edu

and the directory is info-amiga/uxe/amiga.  If the administrator of
that archive would get in touch with me, I would be happy to provide
the material that everyone's going to UIHUB for, viz: Fish Disks
189-210, CUCUG disks 16-19, and VirusX 3.2.

				< Lionel
Lionel Hummel                             404 W. High St. #6, Urbana, IL 61801
University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign  [H] (217)344-5303  [W] (217)333-7408
hummel@cs.uiuc.edu       {pur-ee,uunet}!uiucdcs!hummel            BIX: lhummel