[comp.sys.amiga] InstallBeep v1.1

AXDRW%ALASKA.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Don R. Withey) (05/14/89)

A while back I posted a message saying how neat I thought that
SoundMaster for the Mac was, and how brain dead the amiga's sound was.
(what sound you might ask)

Anyway, I also said that I would try and remedy that sad situation.

Announcing:  InstallBeep

InstallBeep is a program which replaces the silly screen flash with a
real sound (IFF 8SVX of your choice).

It grabs any available sound channel when needed and works asychronously...
I just sent it off to Mr. Page.  Look for it at a site near you.

        Don Withey
        Tim Friest
Snail Mail: Don R. Withey, 3700 East 65th Ave, Anch, AK 99507
Phone:  907-786-1074 (work), 907-344-4057 (home)
Email:  Bitnet: axdrw@alaska.bitnet     BIX: dwithey
University of AK Anch, Computing & Technology Services (CATS ;-)

deven@rpi.edu (Deven Corzine) (05/18/89)

In article <15410@louie.udel.EDU> AXDRW%ALASKA.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Don R. Withey) writes:

   InstallBeep is a program which replaces the silly screen flash with a
   real sound (IFF 8SVX of your choice).

   It grabs any available sound channel when needed and works asychronously...
   I just sent it off to Mr. Page.  Look for it at a site near you.

Does this mean it will act intelligently when you press the wrong key
and get 40 bells in a row?  [no, it's not unlikely]...  I do hope it
doesn't take 40 minutes if it's a 1 minute sample...

Deven
--
shadow@[128.113.10.2]   <shadow@pawl.rpi.edu> Deven T. Corzine (518) 272-5847
shadow@[128.113.10.201] <shadow@acm.rpi.edu>  2346 15th St.    Pi-Rho America

AXDRW%ALASKA.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Don R. Withey) (05/24/89)

> From: Deven Corzine <deven@rpi.edu> Date: 17 May 89 17:17:10 GMT

> In article <15410@louie.udel.EDU> AXDRW%ALASKA.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Don R.
>  Withey) writes:
>
>    InstallBeep is a program which replaces the silly screen flash with a
>    real sound (IFF 8SVX of your choice).
>
>    It grabs any available sound channel when needed and works asychronously...
>    I just sent it off to Mr. Page.  Look for it at a site near you.
>
> Does this mean it will act intelligently when you press the wrong key
> and get 40 bells in a row?  [no, it's not unlikely]...  I do hope it
> doesn't take 40 minutes if it's a 1 minute sample...

Why would you want to press the wrong key 40 times in a row?  Anyway, to
answer your question: NO.  The requests are queued to the task, and the
task plays as many sounds as it can (currently the audio device only
allows four sounds to be played at any one time).  After it has played
four sounds, and there are no more available sound channels.  The task
will use the old DisplayBeep() function.

So you would only get four sounds playing (sounding almost the same,
since they where all started at about the same time), and 36 screen
flashes.  If your sample is small enough and one of them finishes before
all of the keystrokes have been process you might get another couple of
sounds.

If you are strange enough to InstallBeep a five minute sample as your
sound, then you had better be prepaired to listen to all five minutes of
it...  Because the only way to cancel the sound is to uninstall the
beep.  (InstallBeep -quit)

> Deven
        Don

deven@rpi.edu (Deven Corzine) (05/25/89)

In article <16082@louie.udel.EDU> AXDRW%ALASKA.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Don R. Withey) writes:

   Why would you want to press the wrong key 40 times in a row?

Who says you'd WANT to?  But it can certainly happen - especially with
the maximum key repeat rate (which I use) and doing something like
holding down backspace to erase a line, in a situation where typing
the backspace on an empty line causes a bell...

As such, NO, it's not a far-fetched situation.

   Anyway, to answer your question: NO.  The requests are queued to
   the task, and the task plays as many sounds as it can (currently
   the audio device only allows four sounds to be played at any one
   time).  After it has played four sounds, and there are no more
   available sound channels.  The task will use the old DisplayBeep()
   function.

This is reasonable behavior, at least. queueing the sounds to be
played later would be unacceptable.

   So you would only get four sounds playing (sounding almost the same,
   since they where all started at about the same time), and 36 screen
   flashes.  If your sample is small enough and one of them finishes before
   all of the keystrokes have been process you might get another couple of
   sounds.

Not ideal, but quite acceptable.

   If you are strange enough to InstallBeep a five minute sample as your
   sound, then you had better be prepaired to listen to all five minutes of
   it...  Because the only way to cancel the sound is to uninstall the
   beep.  (InstallBeep -quit)

Not likely to, but it was to make a point...

Deven
--
shadow@[128.113.10.2]   <shadow@pawl.rpi.edu> Deven T. Corzine (518) 272-5847
shadow@[128.113.10.201] <shadow@acm.rpi.edu>  2346 15th St.    Pi-Rho America
deven@rpitsmts.bitnet   <userfxb6@rpitsmts>   Troy, NY 12180-2306  <<tionen>>
"Simple things should be simple and complex things should be possible." - A.K.

nop@cup.portal.com (Randy G Jouett) (05/26/89)

	Well, I tried holding down ^G with PlayBeep installed (while
using a term prog, I might add) and it Guru'ed. I must admit that I have
my repeat speed set at max, though.

--
Randy Jouett   sun!portal!cup.portal.com!nop