[comp.sys.amiga] ARexx script postings.

I recently posted an ARexx solution to the problem of Zooing a complete
directory structure. I received several emails commenting on it (thanks for the
kind words, folks), and expressing an interest is seeing more postings of small
scripts.

I would like to do this, and to see others do it too, but I am wondering if I
would incur the wrath of the net.big.guys with postings of this type. The
scripts I would be interested in posting would not run to more than say, 30
lines or so, would be tutorial (and possibly useful as well) in nature, and
would amount to one or two a week.

'sok? Out of line? Don't care?

-larry

--
  - Don't tell me what kind of a day to have! -
|   //   Larry Phillips                                                |

hans@nlgvax.UUCP (Hans Zuidam) (05/16/89)

In article <2420@van-bc.UUCP> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips):
>... but I am wondering if I would incur the wrath of the net.big.guys
> with postings of this type...

Having ARexx for a week now (dank je Tommie), I would love to see
some scripts here. Would break the boring Apple 7.0 quarrels ;-).

As soon as I have my first scrfipts in a state they can apear in
public, I will post mine.

					Hans
P.S. For the virtual amiga guys:
	Name it MEMF_LOCKED instead of MEMF_PHYSICAL. That's
	because everybody else calls it that.

--
Hans Zuidam                                    E-Mail: hans@pcg.philips.nl
Philips Telecommunications and Data Systems,   Tel: +31 40 892288

Re: Larry Phillips' message expressing concern posting ARexx scripts ...

DO IT!

Such postings are the "raison d'etre" of Usenet: education and communication.

Thad Floryan [thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad]

deven@rpi.edu (Deven Corzine) (05/18/89)

Go for it!
--
shadow@[128.113.10.2]   <shadow@pawl.rpi.edu> Deven T. Corzine (518) 272-5847
shadow@[128.113.10.201] <shadow@acm.rpi.edu>  2346 15th St.    Pi-Rho America

lynn@rave.phx.mcd.mot.com (Lynn D. Newton) (05/19/89)

Larry Phillips writes that he would like to post ARexx scripts.
If votes count, I'd like to cast one. I just bought ARexx a
couple of weeks ago and love it. If you thumb through Amiga
magazines you notice more and more products advertising ARexx
ports. The value of this functionality and of the ability to use
ARexx as an extension to the shell (particularly using WShell)
has yet to be fully appreciated by the general Amiga community.

ARexx is not very difficult to use for those who have some
programming expertise of some kind, but it's not exactly
abundantly easy for those who don't either, because its features,
syntax, and general way of doing things are not quite the same as
pure CLI language either in scripts or from a shell, or like the
standard Unix-type shells, so there is a learning curve involved.

William Hawes' ARexx manual is very articulately written, but is
definitely a reference manual written from a very knowledgeable
programmer's point of view. There is _nothing_ out there to tap
in order to clarify mysteries of points not understood because
Rexx is not exactly the most widespread computer language in the
world. Many people could benefit greatly from having some
examples to learn from.

I for one intend to learn to use it well. I've already done many
useful things with it, and would like to see its popularity
spread. Larry Phillips' suggestion could be a means toward
accomplishing this end, and ultimately in increasing the
popularity of the Amiga.

If there are some who feel that comp.sys.amiga is not the proper
location for such traffic, what does anyone think about forming
another news group for it?
Lynn D. Newton		  | System Test
Motorola MCD, Tempe, AZ	  | (Department of Heuristic Methodology)
(602) 437-3739		  | "The bug stops here!"
lynn@rave.phx.mcd.mot.com |

dlarson@blake.acs.washington.edu (Dale Larson) (05/20/89)

In article <LYNN.89May19082714@rave.rave.phx.mcd.mot.com> lynn@rave.phx.mcd.mot.com (Lynn D. Newton) writes:

>Larry Phillips writes that he would like to post ARexx scripts.
>If votes count, I'd like to cast one. I just bought ARexx a
>couple of weeks ago and love it. If you thumb through Amiga
>magazines you notice more and more products advertising ARexx
>ports.

>If there are some who feel that comp.sys.amiga is not the proper
>location for such traffic, what does anyone think about forming
>another news group for it?

I am not at all interested in ARexx scripts.  It is clear, however, that
a lot of people are.  From the number of postings I see here and elsewhere
about ARexx, I think it's time for comp.sys.amiga.arexx.   There are already
to many topics flying around in comp.sys.amiga!

--
 dTb                                                                       dTb
      I know enough about epistemology to know that I don't know anything

csc21909@uns-helios.uns.edu (csc219-9) (05/21/89)

> If there are some who feel that comp.sys.amiga is not the proper
> location for such traffic, what does anyone think about forming
> another news group for it?

How about comp.lang.rexx?  I don't think anyone would complain about us
moving this entire thread there.  In its 4 weeks or so of existance, there
have only been 5 postings, 2 of those by Amigoids.  So not only is it
Appropriate, but it isn't overused either.

    "There is a God!  And He's a             Eric J. Schwertfeger
     GAG WRITER!"                            CIS  [72657,1166]
                                        or   csc21909%uns-helios.uns.edu

Disclaimer:  This isn't a message, it's just a VERY long burst of line
             noise.

andrewl@netcom.UUCP (Andrew Lagodzinski) (05/22/89)

=
=How about comp.lang.rexx?  I don't think anyone would complain about us
=moving this entire thread there.  In its 4 weeks or so of existance, there
=have only been 5 postings, 2 of those by Amigoids.  So not only is it
=Appropriate, but it isn't overused either.
=
	I agree, comp.lang.rexx would be a much better place for these
small macro postings( which I think are a great idea).   Keep 'em comming.

=    "There is a God!  And He's a             Eric J. Schwertfeger
=     GAG WRITER!"                            CIS  [72657,1166]
=                                        or   csc21909%uns-helios.uns.edu
=
=Disclaimer:  This isn't a message, it's just a VERY long burst of line
=             noise.

Andrew Lagodzinski                                 |  Don't forget the
andrewl@netcomm.uucp   !sun!amdahl!netcom!andrewl  |  Universal SPAM
andrew@cup.portal.com  !sun!cup.portal.com!andrew  |  Constant!

I suggest you have a look at the charter for alt.sources.amiga. It explicitly
mentions AREXX scripts.
--
Peter "Have you hugged your wolf today" da Silva      `-_-'
...texbell!sugar!peter, or peter@sugar.hackercorp.com  'U`

hans@nlgvax.UUCP (Hans Zuidam) (05/22/89)

In article <2101@blake.acs.washington.edu> dlarson@blake.acs.washington.edu (Dale Larson) writes:
>I am not at all interested in ARexx scripts.  It is clear, however, that
>a lot of people are.  From the number of postings I see here and elsewhere
>about ARexx, I think it's time for comp.sys.amiga.arexx.   There are already
>to many topics flying around in comp.sys.amiga!

There is no need for a separate group. Either use comp.sys.amiga until
we all get annoyed with the amount of ARexx postings or start using the
group comp.lang.rexx. The last one doesn't have any traffic and is (as
far as I noticed) not restricted to VM/CMS Rexx implementations ;-).

It is of course also possible to read the 'rn' manual and use kill-files
to weed out unwanted subjects. And then it is also possible to ask
me how to do it (using kill-files, not reading manuals :-) )...

As a byline: why do people always start proposing new groups when there
is no need for them, traffic wise? Please check which groups are
appropriate for your postings and start posting there. Then, when traffic
about a certain subject starts to fill or dominate the group think about
creating a new one. This is how comp.sys.amiga.tech started.

Thank you for your attention,
						Hans
--

rap@rap.ardent.com (Rob Peck) (05/23/89)

In article <LYNN.89May19082714@rave.rave.phx.mcd.mot.com> lynn@rave.phx.mcd.mot.com (Lynn D. Newton) writes:

>Larry Phillips writes that he would like to post ARexx scripts.
>If votes count, I'd like to cast one.
>William Hawes' ARexx manual is very articulately written, but is
>definitely a reference manual written from a very knowledgeable
>programmer's point of view. There is _nothing_ out there to tap
>in order to clarify mysteries of points not understood because
>Rexx is not exactly the most widespread computer language in the
>world. Many people could benefit greatly from having some
>examples to learn from.

Amy Expo has requested that someone give an intensive class on using
AREXX, both from the user standpoint, and at least a little bit on
creating an interface.  Tom Rokiki has done part 2 as "minrexx".
I have tentatively accepted the create/teach the class assignment
and will do so on July 30th at Amy Expo Chicago, most likely in the
morning.

I would welcome, and gratefully acknowledge, any AREXX scripts that
the Amiga Usenet community would care to submit for inclusion in the
course material.  I can disect them, summarize, and post here or to
comp.sources.amiga either before or after the course.  I'd also
welcome questions -- I am sure that Bill Hawes would be willing
to help me answer them.  Email or SNAIL, as you wish.

Rob Peck	{uunet!ardent!rap},   or DATAPATH, POBox 1828, Los Gatos, CA
					 95031-1828

lynn@rave.phx.mcd.mot.com (Lynn D. Newton) (05/23/89)

One reader replies, concerning my previous advocacy for the
posting of ARexx scripts:

> I am not at all interested in ARexx scripts.  It is clear, however, that
> a lot of people are.  From the number of postings I see here and elsewhere
> about ARexx, I think it's time for comp.sys.amiga.arexx.   There are already
> to many topics flying around in comp.sys.amiga!

No problem; personally I read all the groups. Is there anything
wrong with posting them to comp.source.amiga? Or is there a rule
that such postings all have to be C or assembler listings? Seems
to me this is a good spot for _any_ kind of program listing,
including Forth, Modula-2, and even AmigaBASIC and CLI batch
scripts. One problem I see with this, though, is that this group
has a moderator who fields postings and picks and chooses them.
Right?  I'm relatively new to the net so haven't really figured
out how some of this works. Anyhow, there probably wouldn't be
enough traffic for a comp.sys.amiga.arexx group.

Anyone else have any opinions?

ugkamins@sunybcs.uucp (John Kaminski) (05/23/89)

In article <2101@blake.acs.washington.edu> dlarson@blake.acs.washington.edu (Dale Larson) writes:
=>In article <LYNN.89May19082714@rave.rave.phx.mcd.mot.com> lynn@rave.phx.mcd.mot.com (Lynn D. Newton) writes:
=>>
=>>Larry Phillips writes that he would like to post ARexx scripts.
=>>If votes count, I'd like to cast one. I just bought ARexx a
=>>couple of weeks ago and love it. If you thumb through Amiga
=>>magazines you notice more and more products advertising ARexx
=>>ports.
=>
=>>If there are some who feel that comp.sys.amiga is not the proper
=>>location for such traffic, what does anyone think about forming
=>>another news group for it?
=>
=>I am not at all interested in ARexx scripts.  It is clear, however, that
=>a lot of people are.  From the number of postings I see here and elsewhere
=>about ARexx, I think it's time for comp.sys.amiga.arexx.   There are already
=>to many topics flying around in comp.sys.amiga!
=>
=>
=>
=>--
=> dTb                                                                       dTb
=>      I know enough about epistemology to know that I don't know anything
=>                      about programming OR epistemology!
=>           Digital Teddy Bear      dlarson@blake.acs.washington.edu

ARexx looks like it might be a good language.  So is C.  So is Pascal.  So are
a whole host of other languages.  Why not use comp.sources.amiga, or
comp.lang.rexx?

doug@xdos.UUCP (Doug Merritt) (05/23/89)

In article <3849@sugar.hackercorp.com> peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>I suggest you have a look at the charter for alt.sources.amiga. It explicitly
>mentions AREXX scripts.

That's nice. And there are *still* many of us out here who do
not get alt groups (because our feed doesn't get 'em, either).

It seems to me that postings to any and all 'alt' groups should be
reserved for things that for some reason just aren't appropriate
anywhere else (e.g. alt.sex). Actively encouraging people to
post to an alt group rather than an appropriate mainstream group
(alt.sources.amiga VS. comp.lang.rexx/comp.sources.amiga/comp.sys.amiga)
is pointless, since all it does is drastically decrease the audience.
	Doug
--
Doug Merritt		{pyramid,apple}!xdos!doug
Member, Crusaders for a Better Tomorrow		Professional Wildeyed Visionary

odin@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Jon Granrose) (05/23/89)

In article <3849@sugar.hackercorp.com> peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>I suggest you have a look at the charter for alt.sources.amiga. It explicitly
>mentions AREXX scripts.
>--
>Peter "Have you hugged your wolf today" da Silva      `-_-'
>...texbell!sugar!peter, or peter@sugar.hackercorp.com  'U`

	I would much rather have them posted either here or on comp.lang.rexx
as UCSC (as well as other places, I'm sure) do not get any of the alt. groups.

Jon
|Jon Granrose         |  ARPA: odin@ucscb.UCSC.EDU |CIS: 74036,3241|  // Only |
|Cowell College, UCSC |  UUCP: ...!ucbvax!ucscc!ucscb!odin         |\X/ Amiga!|
|Santa Cruz, CA 95064 |Bitnet: odin%ucscb.ucsc.edu@cunyvm.bitnet    ~~~~~~~~~~|
|"A mind is a terrible thing"|"Remember, no matter where you go there you are"|

"kosma@ALAN.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM"@alan.kahuna.decnet.lockheed.com (05/24/89)

Date: Tue, 23 May 89 10:48 PDT
From: Montgomery Kosma <kosma@ALAN.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM>
Subject: Re: ARexx script postings.
To: "eagle::amiga-relay%udel.edu"@KAHUNA.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM

Why not just post the scripts instead of posting so @#%& much discussion
of where to post them?

Montgomery N. Kosma

You're right. Comp.lang.rexx is a great place to post ARexx sources... and
do a little missionary work.
--
Peter "Have you hugged your wolf today" da Silva      `-_-'
...texbell!sugar!peter, or peter@sugar.hackercorp.com  'U`

lindwall@sdsu.UUCP (John Lindwall) (05/24/89)

	The funny thing is that the ratio:

		ACTUAL ARexx scripts posted             1
		-----------------------------       ~ -----
	     postings talking about where to post      100

Lets see the scripts coming!! Somewhere.. anywhere.  I posted a request once
to see if anyone had hacked the script that comes with CygnusEd Pro.  The
one I'm talking about would scan the error file produced by Lattice C and
jump from error to erro in the source file.  I would like this same
functionality but with Aztec C.  OK, I know "do it yourself dude!" - well finals
are almost over so maybe I will.

John Lindwall
johnl@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM

lynn@rave.phx.mcd.mot.com (Lynn D. Newton) (05/24/89)

I didn't start this thing, but someone else asked about whether
or not his ARexx scripts would be welcome here, so I posted my
philosophy on the issue and about 100 replies have followed.

The last one pretty sums up my own thoughts on the matter at this
time, having read ALL the responses. In all this discussion there
has not been ONE ARexx script posted that I have seen.

I don't know how these decisions are made on the net, but I
gather that consensus seems to have a lot to do with it.
Therefore let me sum up what I seem to understand that consensus
to be and take a little initiative here:

A) In reality there are very few ARexx scripts to be posted, and
   ususally these are pretty short. No reader has to read a
   posting that is clearly marked as an ARexx script.

B) A lot of readers don't have access to the alt.* groups, so
   these would not be a good place to post these scripts.

C) Although a lot of people are not tuned into ARexx yet, many
   more are likely to be before long. comp.sys.amiga is a means
   of propagating educational information and discussion about
   the Amiga in the interest of promoting its welfare and greater
   popularity.

Why don't we all agree to terminate this thread with the
following arrangement: if you have a well-worked out and
generally useful or instructive ARexx script of say maximum 50
lines, +/- 10 you'd like to share, then why not just post it and
clearly mark it in the subject line as an ARexx script of x # of
lines which does such-and-such. If you have something that is
substantially longer, then submit it for inclusion in
comp.sources.amiga. I understand Bob Peck is an ardent ARexx fan,
so I don't think he'd reject anything useful. Are you out there
Bob?

Lynn D. Newton writes (extracted):

"I understand Bob Peck is an ardent ARexx fan, so I don't think he'd reject
anything useful. Are you out there Bob?"

Do you mean that ARexx operates on Ardent's computers (that IS where Rob Peck
works!), or that he, as an employee of Ardent Computer, fervently likes ARexx?

Sorry, couldn't resist the above comment!  :-)   Flames to /nev/dull

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]